• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What instrument(s) do you play?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I play saxophone, sing, and can operate a guitar.

My favorite instrument, however, is the studio -- recording, engineering, producing.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stuff I can play well:
-violin
-flute

Stuff I can play decently:
-piano
-fiddle (same as violin, only different style. I do celtic and hungarian fiddling)

Self-taught folk instruments that I think I can play decently but have no way of judging:
-bodhran
-erhu

You seem to be on the same page as me. I play the tin whistle (mostly D-whistle, but I kind of like the F and G, too), and I know just about every irish drinking song + most rebel music by heart :D (the songs themselves, not on the whistle)

Played guitar for a few years, but i'm just no good at it.

Am I getting you wrong, or are you somehow into irish folk music?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
You seem to be on the same page as me. I play the tin whistle (mostly D-whistle, but I kind of like the F and G, too), and I know just about every irish drinking song + most rebel music by heart :D

Played guitar for a few years, but i'm just no good at it.

Am I getting you wrong, or are you somehow into irish folk music?

No no, you've got it. I was the fiddler in a celtic band in high school and used to improvise with a band in a pub back in my hometown (one of those "anyone can join" setups). I will say that I can't match titles or lyrics to tunes (which I can do in classical music... weird); I just play by ear. Hurrah! We've got an ayyyyrish laddie!

redacted

I play the drums, and I'm pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. Been playing for about 12 years (I'm 22).

Used to play in a band; got exposure on MTV news, Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine, etc. (This was largely due to the fact that we were so young, I admit)

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I play the drums, and I'm pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. Been playing for about 12 years (I'm 22).

Used to play in a band; got exposure on MTV news, Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine, etc. (This was largely due to the fact that we were so young, I admit)

Hmmmm, I'm feeling skeptical about this one... ;)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

So whats this about coming down to La to be my drummer now ? :D

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well, you've got the ego thing covered. Where's some recordings, diss?

Also, what's your current setup?

redacted

Well, you've got the ego thing covered. Where's some recordings, diss?

Also, what's your current setup?

Yeah, I definitely have an ego when it comes to music....

I'll PM you some information if you want, but the last real recording I made was when I was probably 13-14. I have about 8 years on it now...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You're a self-proclaimed bad ass drummer and there's no recordings since you were 14? Hmmm.

redacted

I don't orient my life around proving to people on the internet that I can play drums well, sorry man.

My current setup is a shitty Roland electric set because I have no space for real drums/I would annoy the hell out of the people below me.

redacted

That's cool. I just won't believe you. :)

I don't blame you. I probably wouldn't believe me either, as most people that claim they're good actually suck.

Again, I can PM you info if you want, but if you'd rather think I'm lying, I can't stop you.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sure, I'll take the info. And I'm messing around; I'm sure you're decent. Don't see why you'd lie about it.

Usehername

On a mission
I'm competent enough on the piano that if given the time, I could learn any song. I'm not competent at it by ear, though I wish I was. (ISFJ teacher = "don't worry about those patterns you keep noticing, you'll confuse yourself. Just keep practicing your scales" (i.e. rote learning). :doh:
By the time I figured out she was wrong, I was more interested in athletics and probably only practiced 30 minutes a week other than my 45 minute lesson. I was a bad ass sight reader for a time there, though.

Guitar I'm pretty competent at chording, but not anything else yet. I have an acoustic, my brother has an electric that I'm learning a bit on.

Played a few brass instruments in the school band.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I have a recording of me playing drums to a fairly cheesy radio-rock style song. It was a song of the band of a guy whom I worked with, back when I was in high school. They let me play the drum part because it was for my "Senior project" in high school (and I was a little better than their drummer hah) , which I did on the subject of "music recording." Because it was a quick recording it doesn't sound awesome but it sounds a lot better than a tape recorder set up in a garage or something (thanks to my Dad who did pretty much all the technical stuff on it).

If you really want it PM me and I'll hook you up, but I'm not gonna just provide a link here for the public. I'm not much for making a spectacle of myself :cheese:. It's a pretty cheesy song and the drumming is pretty straight-forward rock. Not too much to it although the ending is a jam. lolz

U got any recordings GZA-ster?

I have a few recordings of riff and chord ideas recorded in my basement in 8 bit sound from as far back as 2005 (which doesn't seme far back, but it is for me a sI've only played for 5 years). I havn't done any in a while, and even out of the stuff I still play I should probably rerecord it cause I have changed it a bit. Some of my better quality recordings are, like yours, a bit cheesy, except their more like rag-time cheesy then cereal commercial cheesy. I may be able to send them to you if you really want to hear them, just PM me and I may be able to figur eout a way.

By the way, Dissonance, I agree with you that most people who think they are really good really are not good. Plus thinking you're good stops you from learning, and when you lean there's always that feeling like :doh: I can't beleive I used to think I was good, because you realize you know nothing and therefor must still know nothing.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I play bass, piano, and bamboo flute all really badly.

Mainly Motown on bass.

Excellent taste in bass players! James Jamerson FTW :)

I played piano for two semesters as an elective in college, but never kept up with it. My greatest accomplishment was playing "Maple Leaf Rag" well enough that you could tell what song it was. :doh:

I also put on bravura singing performances in my car. If I am in my living room, I may accompany them with a Mick Jagger impersonation. No, you can't see. :1377:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I could listen to Sting play fretless bass all day. (sorry for getting a little OT)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
James Jamerson is indeed awesomely amazing. Probably the best, really.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can play the piano/organ/keyboard decently. Of the three, I definitely have the least like for playing piano. Not that pianos are crappy, it's just that I prefer the sustaining and less percussive quality of the organs or keyboard voices.

I learned how to play a couple of songs on harmonica, like Get Back and Lonely Girl, but various other obligations of life meant that I never got past the basic practice phase. I really wanted to learn blues harmonica style anyway.