User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    Wouldn't one have to be very intuitive to figure out what pitch is coming? Even Junior with his amazing bat speed has to process a lot of data to try to determine what pitch is coming and how to get good wood on it. I could see Tony Gwynn being an ENTJ but I don't know. What would you think.
    This type of situational awareness data processing is something that all people have to do at some point in their lives (for example, meeting someone they don't know and figuring out what to say.), so there's no reason to think that S types wouldn't be able to do it. It does not involve thinking far into the future or past, or thinking too far into something the person has no direct experience of, which are the types of data processing that intuitive types would seem to do better at overall. The reaction times and physical abilities needed in baseball also argue pretty strongly for S types.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    It does not involve thinking far into the future or past, or thinking too far into something the person has no direct experience of, which are the types of data processing that intuitive types would seem to do better at overall.
    I guess that's what I was thinking would be in play. What is did this pitcher throw to the last batter? What did he throw to me the last time up? What are his pitching patterns in later innings? What does he throw w/men on? Who's on deck? How many pitches has he thrown? What part of the plate has the ump been giving as strikes? What kind of pitches have I been unable to hit? What does he throw when ahead on the count? etc, those kind of things. I'm sure mgrs and bench coaches have studied tendencies and that's why batters look for signals after each pitch but I would think many of the players would be thinking these things as well. Like especially after games when you hear interviews, many are able to recall what they're expecting from the pitcher and what they'd seen. Or like many times you have rookie pitchers start out gang busters when called up but then get shelled the second half of the season after teams have faced them once or twice and then can figure them out.

Is there a function that would make someone more likely to be one who hits for average and another that strikes out more? Not like some meaty power hitter where .244 is passable if he's gonna knock 35 out of the park and put 110 across the plate. Some guys strike out more and others draw more walks without being 5-9. Any functionality behind this?

How about mechanics? I guess F would lend itself more to fluid motion but what about those who do well to correct hitting or pitching form? Is it strictly an F thing? Is there a function that aids discipline? Like in practicing? That wouldn't be just J, would it?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    Is there a function that would make someone more likely to be one who hits for average and another that strikes out more? Not like some meaty power hitter where .244 is passable if he's gonna knock 35 out of the park and put 110 across the plate. Some guys strike out more and others draw more walks without being 5-9. Any functionality behind this?
    I would guess there isn't much functionality behind this, since being good at knowing/guessing a pitcher and knowing what way to swing, seem like they could use skills associated with a number of different functions. (Si to pickup tendencies over time, Se to pick up what is happening at the moment, one of the T's to make a good guess, maybe others as well.)

How about mechanics? I guess F would lend itself more to fluid motion but what about those who do well to correct hitting or pitching form? Is it strictly an F thing? Is there a function that aids discipline? Like in practicing? That wouldn't be just J, would it?
    F may or may not provide a good motion for someone newer to baseball, but over time this would likely get canceled out by practice, and a much larger effect would come from how well someone can control their swing or tell what is wrong with it. (Which seems more of an Se/T function type of thing.) With discipline, any function seems that it could do the job, depending on motivation (Similarly to how different types of motivitaion allow for practice/discipline outside of baseball.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Mike Mussina is definitely and INTJ

The Accidental Superstar