• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

First Female Solo Acts to Perform the the Main Stage at EDC

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anna Lunoe & Alison Wonderland Are 1st Female DJs to Perform EDC

EDC Las Vegas‘s 20th anniversary was filled with three nights of great performances across 8 stages. In additional to the phenomenal lineup and top quality production, Anna Lunoe and Alison Wonderland went down in history as the first female solo acts to perform the kineticFIELD Main Stage.

Gender is irrelevant when it comes to music, the art should speak for itself.

Unfortunately, female artists have been a minority in the dance music world for years and the few female DJs usually pertain to the house/tech-house genres. More bass focused genres such as trap, dubstep, and future bass are mostly male-dominated with the exception of a handful of female producers such as Nina Las Vegas, Mija, CRAY, and Yntendo.
With both Anna Lunoe and Alison Wonderland killing their performances on the main stage, hopefully this will inspire women to cast their doubts aside and enter into the dance music scene.
Alison Wonderland said:
“This is the first year EDC Las Vegas has had women on the main stage. I feel honoured and also a massive responsibility to represent what’s right.”
Pretty terrific I have to say.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Guy in crowd records Alison's set. :blush:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Official EDC video for Alison Wonderland uploaded today:

PSYCHED.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Synced audio makes it listenable, although not that watchable likes Alison's official.

Here's a picture for your imagination lol:

7C4FFF7A-BECA-219B-6FA2A30D3947AF1C.jpg

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YNTENDO:
visuals-000180143441-kJrcWc-original.jpg

CRAY:
cray-up-in-smoke.jpg

NINA LAS VEGAS:
NINA-LAS-VEGAS-e1358030281181.jpeg

and of course <3:

MIJA:

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
omg why is this considered cool? I see no instruments, I just see big large grandiose and overly elaborate set pieces that are designed to trick people into thinking that something important is taking place and thus charging them more money then is probably necessary. I bet they're all Styrofoam and are easily pushed over with your fingertips, lol.
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION], you really like Jack Kerouac, huh? he's one of my faves, I am going to re-read him soon, ah yes.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
omg why is this considered cool? I see no instruments, I just see big large grandiose and overly elaborate set pieces that are designed to trick people into thinking that something important is taking place and thus charging them more money then is probably necessary. I bet they're all Styrofoam and are easily pushed over with your fingertips, lol.

styrofoam doesn't glow. :unsure:

It's a new way of doing music. Tbh I don't understand all what a dj does during a song (maybe prepraring the transition for the next song)

But all those buttons, sliders, and knobs have a purpose and I see new dj's or rookie ones sweat and look strained when they try using them. It probably looks less cool but at the same time really cool because those who make it big have been doing it for a while where it's really just like an artist using a paintbrush where it becomes flow.

We're growing out of instruments slowly by time I suppose. Technology does that to everyone. We still all appreciate voices, and it youd been to a rave or a club that's rocking, it's actually very energy boosting. Unlike parties where everybody is spread out, but those places everyone is focused on the dj. Maybe not places this big and yeah EDC is definitely overpriced but it's Las Vegas too and that's pretty much overpriced too.

I hope to go at least once in my life just to say i was part of a ginormous crowd.

[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION], you really like Jack Kerouac, huh? he's one of my faves, I am going to re-read him soon, ah yes.

Yes. A wonderful author.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, "growing out of instruments" maybe one day we will truly ascend to cybernetic beings:mellow:

(one day they will run out of real things to sample lol) and all the bends and digitally simulated sounds and instruments will never be able to ape or mimic the sounds of real bends on a real physical instrument. But I guess such things are becoming to be what is considered "laborious" but I oddly enjoy using my hands.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, "growing out of instruments" maybe one day we will truly ascend to cybernetic beings:mellow:

(one day they will run out of real things to sample lol) and all the bends and digitally simulated sounds and instruments will never be able to ape or mimic the sounds of real bends on a real physical instrument. But I guess such things are becoming to be what is considered "laborious" but I oddly enjoy using my hands.

You do know that to get new sounds we have to record sounds. there are people who get sound to help make more music more interesting. :p

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*sigh* I should not so adversarial.

Do you not feel we are the same yet oh so different. NF orgy---boys only

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely did not regret checking all of them out. :wubbie:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
head banga's

this is such an awesome trio set

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fuck yes.

Too bad it was so short. :cry:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alison Wonderland’s rise to fame has been swift. This Australian artist (real name Alex Sholler) has captured the mix-and-match mood of today’s dance music better than most, combining strands from bass music, electro, house and most of all, trap, to arrive at an accessible compound. Her 2015 album ‘Run’ hit No.1 on the Billboard dance charts, and won her a legion of fans, who love her pop vocals, southern hip-hop beats and cool collaborations with singers such as Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne (‘U Don’t Know’).

As a DJ, Sholler’s blend is just as dexterous, and offers a welcome alternative to the EDM that dominates so many main stage festival sets. Her route into dance music was different, too. Originally a cellist, she was playing in guitar bands in Sydney before she had her Damascene moment. “I remember falling in love with electronic music when I first heard The Knife,” she says. “I dropped everything and all I wanted to do was create music that made me feel the way The Knife’s music made me feel. It was amazing to me that something made from computers could evoke so many emotions.”

With a second album on the way, mooted to contain more star guests, expect Alison Wonderland to chart even higher in 2018.

Poll 2017: Alison Wonderland | DJMag.com