• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Doo Wop

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I'm going to do a Zappa thread soon, and this will be cross-linked with that.

Great Doo-Wop song that FZ takes over the top.
YouTube - White port & lemon juice - zappa
Earlier versions of the song.
YouTube - Four Duces - W.P.L.J.
YouTube - Bel-aires -- White Port Lemon Juice
YouTube - WPLJ 2006 TV COMMERCIAL

Here's a song I used to hear on the radio when the station I listened to went off the air. It came on every night and I got used to hearing it and its sentiment. it made me wonder about what kinda stuff I might be getting into as an adult.
YouTube - Paul Anka - Goodnight My Love

The big era of Doo Wop was just a little before my time. Listening to it reminds me of when I saw the guys on my street, a lot older than me, getting their first cars etc. and disassociating themselves from "kid stuff", like our football games. I actually "played" with guys a lot older than me once it became clear that I wasn't going to kvetch about injuries in our somewhat brutal tackle football games. When my family moved away from the city in 8th grade, and I started finally playing with kids my own age, I had a taste of "celebrity" for a while. I remember throwing a touchdown pass to a kid that nobody ever covered because he was considered a dork, and the pleasure I could see it gave him to finally get a little limelight, too.

What does Doo Wop conjure up for you ? Do you like it ? Hate it ? Interesting how it segued into stuff like "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys.
YouTube - The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby

I remember wondering about what it would be like for me in Viet Nam about that time, which fortunately for me ended before I got there. This song in the Viet Nam oriented "Deer Hunter" movie brought it all back to me. Here we also see a young Night hawk. :) ( INTPC in-joke . )
YouTube - Can't take my eyes off you /The Deer Hunter Bar Scene

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I love Don't Worry Baby, always. (Can't be bothered atm to listen to the others, too involved in my music ;))

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I love Don't Worry Baby, always.
I'm surprised. I didn't think you enjoyed this kind of thing.

Are you creating music of your own or listening to "your own" tunes ? If so, that would be something else that I didn't know about you; that you are a composer.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I write/play music off and on (I get interested in something and disregard all else for a while), but I was referring to listening to music by others I'm into.

The NT Rationale > NT Personal Threads > Jack Flak's Music Club

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not a big fan of doo wop, mostly because my dad IS a huge fan, and I had to listen to unholy amounts of it on long drives when I was growing up. I also think it's a little too "pure" of a vocal style for me to really get into. I like voices that are a little grittier. I do really love tight harmonies, though, and I can appreciate how difficult it must be to get a really good doowop group together.

It's funny, I guess the Beach Boys could be considered doo-wop, though I never really thought of them that way. I guess I just sort of think of them as their own entity. But obviously the doo-wop influence is there.

I think maybe my other problem with doo-wop as a genre is that the song becomes more about the sound of the harmonies and the lyrics take a backseat. Most 1950s doo-wop was fluffy stuff about teenagers in love, with a bunch of bomb-a-dang-dang stuff thrown in.

What I do love is a good backup group, like the Pips or Stevie Nicks' backup singers, where the harmonies are tight, and they're doing sort of a call-and-response with the lead singer. I also love the Eagles and Crosby, Stills and Nash. And, as you can tell by my av, I love the harmonies of Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. Check this out.

YouTube - Heart - Straight On - Liberty Rock Radio
(starts at around 1 min in)

Hope that wasn't too off-topic--to me, doo-wop just kinda goes with the topic of harmonies in general.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love it. My favorite Time Life collection infomercial is the one for "Malt Shop Memories." It's not just doo-wop but it's all awesome. :headphne::)