User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Good sci-fi novels

I'm pretty unacquainted with sci-fi literature and being all old and lazier and now- the shelf seems pretty daunting (to slough through the technobabble to try and get to the meat).

I've read some Asimov. His short stories (from Robot Dreams) are really interesting, but the longer the work, the more his weakness in characterization/dialogue shows (Robot series). I've also read Perdido Street Station by China Mievelle- who is so in love with his own world and the same 10 obscure adjectives meaning "dilapidated" that he never bothers to get to the point. And The Hitchiker's Guide, which was cute but not very lasting. And Ender's Game... who in the hell wants to read about other people playing a video game. And then boring moral retconn about it not being a video game. (Does Brave New World count?)

So what's GOOD?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Good Omens : The Nice and Accurate Prophicies of Agnes Nutter
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    Good Omens : The Nice and Accurate Prophicies of Agnes Nutter

Orson Scott Card?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Orson Scott Card?
    terry prachett and neil gaiman
    nice try.....tell her what shes won !
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I found The Martian Chronicles excellent
    its by Ray Bradbury
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    terry prachett and neil gaiman
    nice try.....tell her what shes won !
    Oh, no, I know that. I was giving your suggestion love and making another suggestion of my own. I should go to bed now because I'm obviously not being coherent.

Edit: However, if she doesn't care for Hitchiker's Guide, I'm not sure Pratchett is going to be a win. I love them both, but not everyone's cup of tea, I guess.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    And Ender's Game... who in the hell wants to read about other people playing a video game. And then boring moral retconn about it not being a video game.
    Hahah.

Much like Asimov, Phillip K. Dick's short stories are quite good but his books are horrible. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein are probably my favorite sci fi books. I have crappy taste though.
    No offense.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Does someone still know the "BattleTech novels". They are like aeons of years old. I really sucked them up, they were the best Sci-Fi novels I ever had
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Okay ... I come to science fiction recommendations as someone who doesn't really care for a lot of the genre. So my recommendations are for some works that aren't hardcore sci-fi.

If you're going to read Orson Scott Card, I recommend a book he wrote called Pastwatch. It's about some time travelers trying to "fix" the European colonization of the new world.

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is a pretty good read. If you want something nice and free, you can download Doctorow's audiobook of "Eastern Standard Tribe"

Spaceland - a Novel of the Fourth Dimension by Rudy Rucker was a fun read. I've enjoyed a lot of Rudy's books, his short stories, and even his non-fiction. His book on the concept of infinity is outstanding.

Bruce Sterling is also worth checking out. If the concepts of his books sound appealing to you, you'd probably like him. Distractions is one book of his I reread lately that stood up well.

Anyway, these are recommendations from someone who doesn't care for science fiction as a genre very much. These are set in our time period or very nearly so. The characters are all human beings, and the stories stay focused on people. Little Brother is a little bit of an exception in that respect -- Doctorow loves his technology. However, if you're a skillful web user he won't range very far outside your realm of experience. And when he does, he'll hold your hand and assure you that everything is okay.

Trying really hard to think of hard SF that I didn't hate reading ... Vernor Vinge wrote some interesting books. They suffer from the characters not being all that well developed though, like a lot of sci fi.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

DREAMSONGS - George R R Martin

An anthology in chronological order. Sci-fi, fantasy and horror. Very good value for money from a brilliant writer.