• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Musical taste "defines personality"

S

Sniffles

Musical taste "defines personality"

Fri Sep 5, 5:38 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Fans of classical music and jazz are creative, pop lovers are hardworking and, despite the stereotypes, heavy metal listeners are gentle, creative types who are at ease with themselves.

So says Professor Adrian North of Scotland's Heriot-Watt University who has been studying the links between people's personalities and their choice of music.

"People often define their sense of identity through their musical taste, wearing particular clothes, going to certain pubs, and using certain types of slang," North said.

"It's not surprising that personality should also be related to musical preference."

Read the rest here:
Musical taste "defines personality" - Yahoo! News

I seem to fit the description of the Classical music fan.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)

Which is connected to personality, wouldn't you say.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Which is connected to personality, wouldn't you say.

good point :D
However, that would still imply that the relation is not a strong as suggested. Note that social (environmental) pressure might play a great role, beyond type.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
They're reading way too much into this stuff. What about country music listeners? Hip-hop fans?

The music you hear while growing up has a big influence, and that's not necessarily tied to personality.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
They're reading way too much into this stuff. What about country music listeners? Hip-hop fans?

The music you hear while growing up has a big influence, and that's not necessarily tied to personality.

They're listed as "hardworking and shy" and "outgoing," respectively.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Country music listeners are shy? These people must not know the same rednecks I know.

Yes, that seems strange, but they went all over the world for this study. I would think that people who listen to country music in Philadelphia are not the same as people who listen to country music in Charlotte or Omaha or Winnipeg.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So I'm creative, hardworking, gentle, creative and at ease with myself.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I just don't understand why people perform studies like these. Marketing? That's the only logical reason I can come up with. I see this stuff as pop culture bullshit and it annoys the hell out of me. Don't try to define me by what kind of deodorant I buy...I pick a random bar off the shelf for fuck's sake.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I just don't understand why people perform studies like these. Marketing? That's the only logical reason I can come up with. I see this stuff as pop culture bullshit and it annoys the hell out of me. Don't try to define me by what kind of deodorant I buy...I pick a random bar off the shelf for fuck's sake.

That in and of itself says something about you, and it's information they use. I don't mind it. I actually take the marketing calls over the phone, because I'm happy to have my tastes represented more in the marketplace.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am alone, in a dark room, on a rainy afternoon. I am listening to Cocteau Twins. What does that say about me? :headphne:

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
Country music listeners are shy? These people must not know the same rednecks I know.

Maybe under all that whiskey they're a shy, pensive lot. Hence the need for the whiskey, of course.

On a more serious note, perhaps that's why they stereotypically own so many dogs. Gives them someone to talk to when their woman leaves them for the umpteenth time.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I am alone, in a dark room, on a rainy afternoon. I am listening to Cocteau Twins. What does that say about me? :headphne:
Well, I'll be driving down the highway listening to some indie music in about an hour. What does that say about me? Analyze me!!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, I'll be driving down the highway listening to some indie music in about an hour. What does that say about me? Analyze me!!

You lack self-esteem, you're not very gentle, and you don't care about the environment. :D

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I listen to heavy metal, which means I'm gentle and creative.

I knew it! Everybody saying I must be of an aggressive type to listen to this kind of music. I told them I was a nice guy, really... :yes: