• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Musical taste "defines personality"

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
My boss has been reading up on creativity, and one of thr strongest indicators of creatvity is the depth of the range of musical taste.

The wider and more varied the more likely you are to be a creative person.

L

heart

heart on fire
I like classical and rock equally well. I like a lot of different music equally well.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yay, I am of the higher earning bracket!

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just don't understand why people perform studies like these. Marketing? That's the only logical reason I can come up with. I see this stuff as pop culture bullshit and it annoys the hell out of me. Don't try to define me by what kind of deodorant I buy...I pick a random bar off the shelf for fuck's sake.

Yup. That it is. Every time people come out with their half-baked, tenuously scientific studies I have to suppress a cynical chuckle.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
"One of the most surprising things is the similarities between fans of classical music and heavy metal. They're both creative and at ease but not outgoing."

Spot on.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)

isn't the 4th and the 3rd functions our actual personality, and the 1st and 2nd how we go about manifesting it ?

at least thats what i've heard

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
This is a response I wrote at a different forum, I don't feel like rewriting my opinion:

Part of the issue with this is that it's impossible to define the genres. What is rap? What is country? What is rock? What is jazz?

For example, NWA may be angry rap, but Will Smith or Black Star is not, Black Star falls more in line with the sociable, innovative description given to jazz.

Swing jazz is a lot different from bebop or cool jazz.

Mettalica is different from Black Sabbath.

The Beatles are different from Rage Against the Machine, ect.

Indie music could be almost anything...

And people may even argue that some bands arn't of that genre (i.e. some people consider Led Zeppelin metal, wile others do not.) I read some of a book about music and music genres and it pointed this out. Does each genre have a prototype that fans of the genre can agree on, and if so, how much can a song differ from that prototype and still be the same genre? If Sing Sing Sing is a prototypical jazz song, is John Coltrane jazz? (which was actually debated when he came out, by the way).

And as I mentioned before, what if you listen to all those genres, like myself? I would say the soul music lover's description describes me most, but soul isn't my favourite genre.

So while I did find the study interesting (hence posting it) it's still mostly B.S. due to crappy methodology and vague definitions.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
and I guess it's perfectly in keeping with both the article and MBTI, that I like literally ALL types of music... in my car I have homemade CD's and on one of them could be everything from obscure Arabic folk music to Noel Coward, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Ella Fitzgerald, U2, Madonna, A Perfect Circle, Slayer, a Chopin piano etude...

Ne eh? :rolleyes:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I do indeed like classical music and some opera -- I'm also going to guess that film soundtracks are considered classical music. I don't mind metal. I absolutely hate jazz and country. Pop, rap, and soul are just dumb.

The study didn't say anything about people who like William Shatner music.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)

That's exactly what Pierre Bourdieu said, and he studied this sociologic field during many years. Congratulations.

And yes, I would really doubt that music taste could ever define personality, since it is mostly inherited through social surroundings.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yes, that seems strange, but they went all over the world for this study. I would think that people who listen to country music in Philadelphia are not the same as people who listen to country music in Charlotte or Omaha or Winnipeg.

which proves that the entire correlation is bullshit.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i listen to everything pretty much except for country...and that's just cuz it makes me cry...for some reason

and gangsta rap...cuz really...why so angry, ya know?

but just about everything else...so what's that mean? nothing...i think...haha

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
What if you have something like this on your iPod and listen to it in your car?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73wc2V-5PA"]Razorgore Kiting[/YOUTUBE]