First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)
    isn't the 4th and the 3rd functions our actual personality, and the 1st and 2nd how we go about manifesting it ?

at least thats what i've heard
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    infp

This is a response I wrote at a different forum, I don't feel like rewriting my opinion:

Part of the issue with this is that it's impossible to define the genres. What is rap? What is country? What is rock? What is jazz?

For example, NWA may be angry rap, but Will Smith or Black Star is not, Black Star falls more in line with the sociable, innovative description given to jazz.

Swing jazz is a lot different from bebop or cool jazz.

Mettalica is different from Black Sabbath.

The Beatles are different from Rage Against the Machine, ect.

Indie music could be almost anything...

And people may even argue that some bands arn't of that genre (i.e. some people consider Led Zeppelin metal, wile others do not.) I read some of a book about music and music genres and it pointed this out. Does each genre have a prototype that fans of the genre can agree on, and if so, how much can a song differ from that prototype and still be the same genre? If Sing Sing Sing is a prototypical jazz song, is John Coltrane jazz? (which was actually debated when he came out, by the way).

And as I mentioned before, what if you listen to all those genres, like myself? I would say the soul music lover's description describes me most, but soul isn't my favourite genre.

So while I did find the study interesting (hence posting it) it's still mostly B.S. due to crappy methodology and vague definitions.

MBTI
    ENTP

and I guess it's perfectly in keeping with both the article and MBTI, that I like literally ALL types of music... in my car I have homemade CD's and on one of them could be everything from obscure Arabic folk music to Noel Coward, Janis Joplin, Deep Purple, Ella Fitzgerald, U2, Madonna, A Perfect Circle, Slayer, a Chopin piano etude...

Ne eh?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I do indeed like classical music and some opera -- I'm also going to guess that film soundtracks are considered classical music. I don't mind metal. I absolutely hate jazz and country. Pop, rap, and soul are just dumb.

The study didn't say anything about people who like William Shatner music.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Read the rest here:
    Musical taste "defines personality" - Yahoo! News

I seem to fit the description of the Classical music fan.

I don't know..I listen to everything pretty much. And I know that I'm not a lot of things as a person in general, lol.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Hm, I have doubts about this, I think music often serves as a statussymbol, it reflects (or may reflect) who we want to be, rather than who we are. (just my theory)
    That's exactly what Pierre Bourdieu said, and he studied this sociologic field during many years. Congratulations.

And yes, I would really doubt that music taste could ever define personality, since it is mostly inherited through social surroundings.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Pop lovers hardworking? ....

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yes, that seems strange, but they went all over the world for this study. I would think that people who listen to country music in Philadelphia are not the same as people who listen to country music in Charlotte or Omaha or Winnipeg.
    which proves that the entire correlation is bullshit.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i listen to everything pretty much except for country...and that's just cuz it makes me cry...for some reason

and gangsta rap...cuz really...why so angry, ya know?

but just about everything else...so what's that mean? nothing...i think...haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    LoLz

What if you have something like this on your iPod and listen to it in your car?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73wc2V-5PA"]Razorgore Kiting[/YOUTUBE]