• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The appeal of live music performance?

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sometimes wonder if I'm in the minority in that I'm generally not that interested in attending concerts even when its one of my favorite bands. In some cases I'll see that a favorite band is coming to town and think about attending the concert, but its not so much out of wanting to see them live as it is wanting to be there as a show of support for a band that I know does not have much recognition in the states. I don't dislike concerts and I would not generally say it was a bad way to spend the evening, but most of the time, I just don't feel that I enjoyed it as much as the others in attendance, and I would have been just as happy to listen to a studio recording.

An exception to this that I noticed recently was about a month ago when I sat in on a "filk circle" which I actually found to be a much more enjoyable event than any actual concert I've attended. I think the parts of it I liked was that it felt like everyone could participate as much or little as they wanted and that it did not feel predictable. So I realized that it was not a matter of not liking live music so much as a normal concert simply not offering anything that appeals to me beyond the music itself (which to me is just as good listening to a CD alone as it is at a live event). I think the smaller group setting also made it feel more welcoming vs being just a part of a mob of listeners.

Now some questions for everyone else to get some more perspectives...
Do you enjoy live music performances?
Do you distinguish or have preferences as to the type/venue of performance?
And what (if anything) do you feel appeals most to you about the experience?

My hypothesis is that Es and Ss are the most likely to fully enjoy going to a normal concert, and that Is either don't enjoy the experience as much, or prefer much smaller venues when attending. I don't know if N, T, F, J and P have any bearing at all on this, but I'd welcome hearing other peoples theories on type and appreciation of live music.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I like some concerts, especially if I can wander around and do something, instead of pay exclusive attention to the band. For this reason, I find music festivals fun (although those can be overcrowded), as well as some concerts in bars (although those usually tend to be way too loud). My attention span is not usually long enough to accommodate a two-hour performance if I'm seated, but I still go to those occasionally (one earlier tonight, actually).

I don't like it when bands simply play the songs exactly as they were recorded, and love to hear their improvisations or modifications of songs, which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to hear. I also like it when they feed on the crowd, and you can tell that they're listening to the emotion in the room.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
the last several concerts I've gone to have been disappointing.

I have to get back into the scene I think, I don't enjoy shows with more than 25 people present because the pits are too tightly packed and the guys are too buff.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Live music is my favorite use of disposable income. I just love the emotion and the connection between band and audience that you can't get on an album. it's visceral. More so than in years past, my musical taste means I'm going to smaller shows, but nothing beats a good old arena rock show with explosions and deafening guitar riffs.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Gig junkie from way back, particually love going to smaller gigs where you can get right in the action and still see whilst supporting an up-and-coming band or camping music festivals.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Some bands and styles of music cater better to the live arena. The last concert I saw featured Bela Fleck at Bluesfest in Ottawa. Very complex instrumentals that were very enjoyable live. While rap concerts, at least to me, are painfully boring. It's like a bunch of hype men yelling and talking to a beat.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've been to hundreds of shows in my lifetime, and the one disappointing thing about them is this: the vast majority of modern bands are much better on record than they are live. I don't know why that is, but it's rare that even a very talented band blows me away live. U2 are still a great live performance (seen them twice), but I'd honestly rather have listened to The Bends and OK Computer back-to-back for free than have spent $50 to see a 2000s-heavy Radiohead set this summer.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hell with Radiohead, they got tired of being good and said F U to the world with their music.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
the vast majority of modern bands are much better on record than they are live. I don't know why that is, but it's rare that even a very talented band blows me away live.

Overproduction on their records.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Overproduction on their records.

I don't think that's it. I don't mind a really produced, slick album if the songs are solid. That is rare, though. I feel like there are few songwriters who can turn in an album's worth of great material these days. They take more time between albums and the albums are longer, whereas I think it's better to be more like the old days, i.e., an album every 18-24 months with 10-12 songs, rather than an album every 3 years that's 14-15 songs, plus a tour, then a big amount of time off. Most great bands improve through writing and playing a lot, then put out their best material once they get enough time, money, and control to record the way they want. They rapidly fall off if they put on gigantic tours followed by extended periods of time off, unless you are the rare U2, REM, et al.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think that's it. I don't mind a really produced, slick album if the songs are solid. That is rare, though. I feel like there are few songwriters who can turn in an album's worth of great material these days. They take more time between albums and the albums are longer, whereas I think it's better to be more like the old days, i.e., an album every 18-24 months with 10-12 songs, rather than an album every 3 years that's 14-15 songs, plus a tour, then a big amount of time off. Most great bands improve through writing and playing a lot, then put out their best material once they get enough time, money, and control to record the way they want. They rapidly fall off if they put on gigantic tours followed by extended periods of time off, unless you are the rare U2, REM, et al.

With pop music it's alright, but I mainly don't like it with rock music, not only because it will make them seem shitty live in comparison but I feel like overproduction is often used to compensate for the bands/artists lack of talent. e.g. shitty singers having all those effects on their voices.

I think the reason that nowadays popular artists aren't putting out really quality music is because since MTV, music becomes more about image year after year. Popular artists used to be in their 20s and 30s, now they are in their less talented and experienced teens, and early twenties.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
With pop music it's alright, but I mainly don't like it with rock music, not only because it will make them seem shitty live in comparison but I feel like overproduction is often used to compensate for the bands/artists lack of talent. e.g. shitty singers having all those effects on their voices.

I think the reason that nowadays popular artists aren't putting out really quality music is because since MTV, music becomes more about image year after year. Popular artists used to be in their 20s and 30s, now they are in their less talented and experienced teens, and early twenties.

The Beatles picked musically at about 22-25 years old respectively, though. It matters when you start your career.

Also, "overproduction" is a loaded term for me, since it's rare that I ever hear something that is good that sounds too produced. You can't really polish a turd. Albums like So by Peter Gabriel, Use Your Illusion I and II by G n' R, pretty much every Smashing Pumpkins album are great, despite their studio enhancements. "Overproduced" is only a problem with you're trying to compensate for a lack of anything going on musically. Still, I am not a rockist. Pop music is some of the best, most interesting music we have in the 2000s.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The Beatles picked musically at about 22-25 years old respectively, though. It matters when you start your career.

Also, "overproduction" is a loaded term for me, since it's rare that I ever hear something that is good that sounds too produced. You can't really polish a turd. Albums like So by Peter Gabriel, Use Your Illusion I and II by G n' R, pretty much every Smashing Pumpkins album are great, despite their studio enhancements. "Overproduced" is only a problem with you're trying to compensate for a lack of anything going on musically. Still, I am not a rockist. Pop music is some of the best, most interesting music we have in the 2000s.

I don't see it as a loaded term, if it sounds good, then it wasn't overproduced, just really produced. It's not only a problem with you're trying to overcompensate, because when you play live, if your album was overproduced or really produced, you can't recreate all that live, and the artist/band will sound different/bad.