User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default The appeal of live music performance?

I sometimes wonder if I'm in the minority in that I'm generally not that interested in attending concerts even when its one of my favorite bands. In some cases I'll see that a favorite band is coming to town and think about attending the concert, but its not so much out of wanting to see them live as it is wanting to be there as a show of support for a band that I know does not have much recognition in the states. I don't dislike concerts and I would not generally say it was a bad way to spend the evening, but most of the time, I just don't feel that I enjoyed it as much as the others in attendance, and I would have been just as happy to listen to a studio recording.

An exception to this that I noticed recently was about a month ago when I sat in on a "filk circle" which I actually found to be a much more enjoyable event than any actual concert I've attended. I think the parts of it I liked was that it felt like everyone could participate as much or little as they wanted and that it did not feel predictable. So I realized that it was not a matter of not liking live music so much as a normal concert simply not offering anything that appeals to me beyond the music itself (which to me is just as good listening to a CD alone as it is at a live event). I think the smaller group setting also made it feel more welcoming vs being just a part of a mob of listeners.

Now some questions for everyone else to get some more perspectives...
    Do you enjoy live music performances?
    Do you distinguish or have preferences as to the type/venue of performance?
    And what (if anything) do you feel appeals most to you about the experience?

My hypothesis is that Es and Ss are the most likely to fully enjoy going to a normal concert, and that Is either don't enjoy the experience as much, or prefer much smaller venues when attending. I don't know if N, T, F, J and P have any bearing at all on this, but I'd welcome hearing other peoples theories on type and appreciation of live music.

MBTI
    INTP

I like some concerts, especially if I can wander around and do something, instead of pay exclusive attention to the band. For this reason, I find music festivals fun (although those can be overcrowded), as well as some concerts in bars (although those usually tend to be way too loud). My attention span is not usually long enough to accommodate a two-hour performance if I'm seated, but I still go to those occasionally (one earlier tonight, actually).

I don't like it when bands simply play the songs exactly as they were recorded, and love to hear their improvisations or modifications of songs, which I otherwise wouldn't have been able to hear. I also like it when they feed on the crowd, and you can tell that they're listening to the emotion in the room.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I love it. Loud and up close.

MBTI
    INTJ

the last several concerts I've gone to have been disappointing.

I have to get back into the scene I think, I don't enjoy shows with more than 25 people present because the pits are too tightly packed and the guys are too buff.
    wails from the crypt.

Live music is my favorite use of disposable income. I just love the emotion and the connection between band and audience that you can't get on an album. it's visceral. More so than in years past, my musical taste means I'm going to smaller shows, but nothing beats a good old arena rock show with explosions and deafening guitar riffs.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Gig junkie from way back, particually love going to smaller gigs where you can get right in the action and still see whilst supporting an up-and-coming band or camping music festivals.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Some bands and styles of music cater better to the live arena. The last concert I saw featured Bela Fleck at Bluesfest in Ottawa. Very complex instrumentals that were very enjoyable live. While rap concerts, at least to me, are painfully boring. It's like a bunch of hype men yelling and talking to a beat.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I've been to hundreds of shows in my lifetime, and the one disappointing thing about them is this: the vast majority of modern bands are much better on record than they are live. I don't know why that is, but it's rare that even a very talented band blows me away live. U2 are still a great live performance (seen them twice), but I'd honestly rather have listened to The Bends and OK Computer back-to-back for free than have spent $50 to see a 2000s-heavy Radiohead set this summer.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Hell with Radiohead, they got tired of being good and said F U to the world with their music.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    the vast majority of modern bands are much better on record than they are live. I don't know why that is, but it's rare that even a very talented band blows me away live.
    Overproduction on their records.