• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music Lovers: Does Anyone Remember Their First Favorite Songs?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
OK so when I was little, like before kindergarten, people still had record players (I spent nearly my entire childhood in the 80s, which may be why I'm able to classify decades more boxy than is probably realistic, but helps with identification of trends, art and culture of that period) ...so I had this little record player and a small collection of 45s. I remember many things about my early childhood, but I can't possibly be alone in this. What I actually don't remember is who liked 60s folk music, mom or grandma, I'm guessing grandma. ..I know grandpa liked easy listening from 40s-50s and country, but my grandmother died when I was fairly young.

So let's just say this was all grandma. My mom went to high school in the 70s and seems to prefer rock from the mid-70s to the early 90s.

The first one in particular can still make me cry:

free electron

MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, that song was the first one I've learned in kindergarten, every child knows the story of the mare of Michao, the wolf, the fox and the weasel keep telling everyone.

Last edited:

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Idk for sure if it's my first favourite song but in one of our first flats we had one CD single which was probably left over by whoever lived there before us, and I played it continuously on our radio/CD player since we didn't really have our own CDs. As a whole our family didn't really listen to music, and generally as a kid I didn't care for music before then. I rediscovered the song a couple years ago and felt super nostalgic so I bought the full album :p Brings back all the memories of living in that flat.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked both of these a lot when I was under 10 yrs of age

Also:

(my mom got me the Thriller record album not long after it came out. :))

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes! As a child I used to love this song. It was mostly for the bouncing guy on the video :D but I also like the forward, optimistic beat of the song

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes! As a child I used to love this song. It was mostly for the bouncing guy on the video :D but I also like the forward, optimistic beat of the song

I absolutely adore the song, but alas the lyrics are actually extremely sobering

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to love this crazy French lady called Toon, she got me into Jean Michelle Jacques at a very young age. Most of the stuff I remember was played to me by others (rather than hearing it on the radio or t.v etc). I also remember loving Edie Brekell and my mind was pretty blown by Madonnas fist hit 'Holiday' I was a big Madonna fan, I watched her films, had posters on my walls, went to a concert at Wembley (a little later, I made the blond ambition tour)... i was on such a high at that concert I dreamed about her for ages afterwards.

loved her around this time period... I def Idolised her at this point...

Still LOVE that outfit, I had that poster of her in pride of place.

Permabanned
Idk for sure if it's my first favourite song but in one of our first flats we had one CD single which was probably left over by whoever lived there before us, and I played it continuously on our radio/CD player since we didn't really have our own CDs. As a whole our family didn't really listen to music, and generally as a kid I didn't care for music before then. I rediscovered the song a couple years ago and felt super nostalgic so I bought the full album :p Brings back all the memories of living in that flat.

Who the fuck is named Delta Goodrem? It's like Imogen Heap. Def work of the reptilian, obvsly.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Who the fuck is named Delta Goodrem? It's like Imogen Heap. Def work of the reptilian, obvsly.

That's my fucking name you fucking prick, I was actually just plugging my music for a free promo! :ng_mad:

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Favourite song in ... some time before 4th grade

Favourite song in 4th grade:

Favourite song in 5th grade:

Favourite song in 6th grade:

Favourite song in 7th grade:

Favourite song in 8th grade:

Favourite song in 9th grade:

Favourite song in 10th grade:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Something I've never been able to clarify is why I remember things I liked from music or popular culture at a much earlier age than some people. The songs I posted are from preschool. I have seen speculation that it's type related, that Se types would have clearer sensory memories. I also wonder if it's just because my dad was a musician, so I've always liked music and associated everything with music.

This is one of my favorites from elementary school :

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was little, I loved Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, Hot n Cold and Born This Way we're my favorites. I also remember loving Maroon 5. I used to love mainstream pop, but then I began to realize that the music was becoming crappier over the years, so I switched my focus.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
When I was little, I loved Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, Hot n Cold and Born This Way we're my favorites. I also remember loving Maroon 5. I used to love mainstream pop, but then I began to realize that the music was becoming crappier over the years, so I switched my focus.

You are a youngin.

Everyone thinks that music keeps keeps getting crappier over the years and that the younger generation has gone to shit blah blah blah. It's called being crotchety and not with the times. Things aren't "going downhill," they just change.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=6877]Marmotini[/MENTION]

Puff the Magic Dragon was my absolute childhood favorite too! My mother would sing it to me, I would cry because it would make me so sad and then demand she sing it again ... over and over. Haha. I sometimes still cry when I hear it and I'm paying attention to the words.

My early musical memories are mostly of classical music, both European and Indian, because that's what my parents liked to play. The absolute first one I remember is Bedřich Smetana's Vltava. Specifically the most recognizable part that starts a minute in.

My mom also liked to play American folk music from her teens and 20s, which I loved. Country Roads by John Denver was one of my favorites.

I loved Harry Belafonte too! Jamaica Farewell is the first song of his I remember.

My favorite movie soundtrack was from Fiddler on the Roof. I absolutely loved Sunrise, Sunset.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My favorite TV show theme song was from Jeeves and Wooster. I had no idea what the show was about or why my mom liked it so much but I loved the music.

I went back and started watching it when I was older and omg hahaha. I love P.G. Wodehouse ... and Hugh Laurie. :heart: