• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music Lovers: Does Anyone Remember Their First Favorite Songs?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something I've never been able to clarify is why I remember things I liked from music or popular culture at a much earlier age than some people. The songs I posted are from preschool. I have seen speculation that it's type related, that Se types would have clearer sensory memories. I also wonder if it's just because my dad was a musician, so I've always liked music and associated everything with music.

You have reminded me, when I was a sophomore or junior in high school, I 're-discovered' some early 80's music. I ended up buying some Billboard greatest hits albums, from like 1981 (when I would have been 3) and 1984, because when I heard those songs I had like an immediate recollection of them, and it was a nostalgia of sorts. I'd totally forgotten about them til my teens. I guess I must have retained something in my brain from when I was really young.

Edit: re T'Pau, I haven't heard that song for a long time! Nice flashback. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My favorite TV show theme song was from Jeeves and Wooster. I had no idea what the show was about or why my mom liked it so much but I loved the music.

I went back and started watching it when I was older and omg hahaha. I love P.G. Wodehouse ... and Hugh Laurie. :heart:

That show is the BEST. And I love the music too. :) Haven't heard it in a while.

Radian

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Probably a local song most of you don't know about.
But for international songs, and as a late 90's kid, I'm a fan of The Cranberries, Coldplay and Evanescence. I'm ~almost~ always that rebellious rocker lady.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You have reminded me, when I was a sophomore or junior in high school, I 're-discovered' some early 80's music. I ended up buying some Billboard greatest hits albums, from like 1981 (when I would have been 3) and 1984, because when I heard those songs I had like an immediate recollection of them, and it was a nostalgia of sorts. I'd totally forgotten about them til my teens. I guess I must have retained something in my brain from when I was really young.

Edit: re T'Pau, I haven't heard that song for a long time! Nice flashback. :)

I did the same thing! So now I have layered memories of both being a small child and an adolescent connected to a great deal of early 80s music.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You are a youngin.

Everyone thinks that music keeps keeps getting crappier over the years and that the younger generation has gone to shit blah blah blah. It's called being crotchety and not with the times. Things aren't "going downhill," they just change.

I agree. I am in my 30s and love not just Lana del Rey, but Florence and the Machine, Lady Gaga, and I can recognize a Charli xcx song when I hear one...I don't count a lot of the 00s because I was still in my 20s and so of course love a LOT of music from that decade....but people who say things like "music is for teenagers" or "why are singers so important to you" have limited elementary musical intelligence, that's my theory. There's a pretentiousness that some people as young as 25 have that all of the good music is gone.

No, it's not. New Kids on the Block were just as shit as most Justin Bieber songs. And just because Bachmann Turner Overdrive or Fleetwood Mac were awesome in the 70s, doesn't erase Donnie Osmond.

Of course pop music has gone through some changes, some of it did become more simplistic and louder after the corporatization of radio...but we live in the Internet Era and tbh, I find it laughable when people seem incapable of finding new bands on YouTube or Internet radio...not exactly elitist underground sources.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First favorite songs from childhood:

Edited to add

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a kid, I loved Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise and Dido - White Flag.

I'm the born emo I guess.

And errrrm, those two native speakers from Canada the video below came to our town and I loved pretty much all of their songs when I was 4/5 years old.

Till I turned 13 I was into pop- and country-music, then I discovered rock/metal aaaand the rest is history.
My favourite songs were "Revenge" by Papa Roach and "This Is The Story Of My Old Man" by Good Charlotte. Uuuh ... yeah.