• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do sensors enjoy music more than the intuitive?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoy the ambiance of music a lot more. I use it more for my feeling side actually and really enjoy sort of the story it evokes in my head. I think its more of a tool to stir my imagination with my feelings, I'm not really into specifics of lyrics more how they combine with the background and how poetic they are with them.

I think rock on a commercial level is better than rap in this regard. Underground rap and intelligent rappers(jay z, eminem, nas, jadakiss are main stream rappers who I think fit the bill) or those with good flows and lyrical ability like biggie I think for me are the epitome of what I look for in music.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
'enjoy'?

I used to get out of body experiences listening to ghazal or chant, or sometimes When The Levee Breaks (LZ). That's the highest state.

The next is floods of tears to music without sentimentality. Music that gets into your head and breaks you down.

The next is an experience of intensity. Like when it arrests you and your sense perspective suddenly changes. You're completely oblivious to the outside world. All that exists is your mind and what's happening to it.

Then there's the realistic depressive music - like Satie or Thomas Newman.

Then there's the lyrical/political depressive: The indulgently sentimental or political. Billie Holiday, Dylan, Cash, Marley, Nina Simone, Sam Cooke, the serious jazz gets stuck here too.

Then the sentimental - Etta James etc.

Elating - Jackie Wilson etc.

Fun - Motown, '60s rnr etc - whatever gets you dancing.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Music is more than just music to me.
It's like...a therapy. Music and lyrical content has gotten me through many rough times in my life.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Plausible?

No.

...just... No.

No wait... no... how can I express this...

I've yet to meet another more passionate about music than I. Therefore, no.

EDIT: however a person with Extroverted Sensing will probably enjoy it in slightly different ways, but still...no.

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's very interesting. What kinds of effects do you get from doing this? The only reason I assume in mysef Fi is it is almost a religious experience level of feeling.
I think it's the same thing you feel (I've pretty good intuition on the meaning behind words). I don't know about all this function mumbo jumbo, but I did score pretty high on Fi on a test.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't imagine someone liking music more than I do. But I'm very picky about what I like, and I can't ride in a car with someone playing stuff that I think is crap, without going nuts.

I have often wondered if sensors are more adept at mastering an instrument, though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I doubt something like "enjoy" music is type-specific. I'm sure both Ss and Ns appreciate it greatly, perhaps sometimes in different ways.

It could be correlated with having an extensive music collection, I suppose. But even that seems like a stretch.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
No.

...just... No.

I've yet to meet another more passionate about music than I. Therefore, no. QED

EDIT: however a person with Extroverted Sensing will probably enjoy it in slightly different ways, but still...no.

You've met me in a way, haven't you?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
You need to have a face-to-face argument about music with me sometime.

Oh, it's ON! ...wait, what would we be arguing? Who loves music more? Easy, my ENFP enthusiasm will outshine your ESFJness like the sun outshines the moon. ...bitch. :)alttongue:)

D.C. meetup. Be there or be lame!

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it's not that they like it more or less

as an example of Si and music
Si - tend to see images when listen to music, music might remind them of images and places in the past

vs

Ne and music: The only way i can explain Ne is quite cliched. Ne seems to enjoy music for purely the possiblities in music.

that was a terrible way of explaining it ^

it seems that music is filtered through the functions

for example me, an ENFP, i like music that has great variety, a lot going on but not too complex, and possiblites (all Ne), then i take this and apply the different parts of the song to different emotions and apply it to myself (<-- all Fi), this then allows me to, in a way, take my emotions and sort them out and put them in order (<--Te) and after this Si grounds all of it in reality

a filter is the best way i can expalin it, its not that what people listen to, its why

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
No.

...just... No.

I've yet to meet another more passionate about music than I. Therefore, no. QED

Alright..... just, ok......

ALRIGHT!

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Alright..... just, ok......

ALRIGHT!

I... just... you're dead. I'm... I'm going to kill you. Because... you are... I just... maggots eating your flesh... because.... like.... 'cause.... DEAD!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing I notice is that Sensors are better at following the lyrics of a song.

I think Intuitives would prefer classical music or instrumental music -- the kind that plants visions in your mind. This kind of music has a very elusive and abstract meaning to it which transcends words.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
One thing I notice is that Sensors are better at following the lyrics of a song.

I think Intuitives would prefer classical music or instrumental music -- the kind that plants visions in your mind. This kind of music has a very elusive and abstract meaning to it which transcends words.

planting visions in you mind is a very Si concept.

its why we like it not what we like that is different. lyrical vs. instrumental would fall under "what" we like. imo