• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The Wings will ultimately triumph. Age and treachery over youth and enthusiasm.

Why do you think Sidney is so bad, Merc? I know Nick Lidstrom has him majorly out-classed at this time, but I'm just curious as to why you think he's so awful?

A number of reasons. First of all, he is a notorious diver. He was not as bad about it this past season, but that is off-putting. I was pleased that Forsberg and then Briere (also divers) really kept it to a minimum once they signed in Philly. Secondly, he (and Pittsburgh in general) really benefit from the officiating. Their advantage in power plays is totally inexplicable at times. Game 2 vs. the Flyers was basically handed to the Penguins. The Flyers were up 2-1 with under five minutes to go, and Carter was called for a hooking penalty when Jordan Staal was actually tying his stick up. The Pens score, force OT, then win to go up 2-0 in the series. I am not saying there is a conspiracy, but the Pens benefit from both the "new NHL" rules and inconsistent officiating more than other teams in the league. Also, Crosby is SO bland a personality. He never says anything memorable, he has a weird smirk on his face most of the time, he wears the ratty middle-school moustache because he can't grow a playoff beard, and he still lives with Mario Lemieux. He's like the hockey version of the creepy villain chess kid in Searching for Bobby Fischer who doesn't go to school or have friends. Lastly, I don't like how Crosby-centric the league and its marketing are. With the media blitz, you'd think he was the greatest player in 20 years. He's not the best center on his own team! Malkin is more talented than he is. Ovechkin is more dynamic and scores more goals. Datsyuk is a better two-way player. Richards is a better captain. It doesn't matter. We get all Crosby, all the time. Also, having the commissioner of the league call one of your teams "a model franchise" for having lost consistently for years, nearly leaving their city, and racking up top draft picks all the while is just offensive. I hope that he never wins a Cup in his career.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Toronto's team is run in a manner that could be depicted in a Three Stooges short. Despite the fact that San Jose can't get out of their own way in the playoffs, I can't fathom a situation in which Toronto has a better 2009-10 season.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
You're contradicting yourself a bit. You said Pittsburgh should have played at the caliber that they are now, the whole season. They haven't though. They obviously have the potential as they are displaying that being in the Stanley Cup final, but things didn't come together for them during regular season like it should have. The same yet opposite display for San Jose. They won the president's trophy and obviously have a great team that should have everything it needs to win a title. You can prepare for and "set out to do" but it's not always that easy. The dynamics are always changing and there's no guarantee that your best [what you figure is best] preparation is going to cut it.

"The penguins should have been doing well all year long but only managed to get it together at the end of the year." -Lucifer

SHOULD.
How am I contradicting myself? I am well aware of their season and particularly the ending. They only managed to get their season together after they got back into the mental state required to win after dragging around their stanley cup final defeat with them for the better part of the season. The Sharks on the other hand are choke artists, simple.
Are you beginning to grasp why I dislike talking to you.

Toronto's team is run in a manner that could be depicted in a Three Stooges short. Despite the fact that San Jose can't get out of their own way in the playoffs, I can't fathom a situation in which Toronto has a better 2009-10 season.

Was run.
I will come back in under a year from now to resubmit that quote.
I promise.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A number of reasons. First of all, he is a notorious diver. He was not as bad about it this past season, but that is off-putting. I was pleased that Forsberg and then Briere (also divers) really kept it to a minimum once they signed in Philly.

Very much agreed. The diving thing is really obnoxious. Erik Cole was notorious for it and everyone loved him on our team, but it just annoyed me. Forsberg too, what a stooge. As if his abilities as a player were so bad he had to resort to such possum tactics.

Secondly, he (and Pittsburgh in general) really benefit from the officiating. Their advantage in power plays is totally inexplicable at times. Game 2 vs. the Flyers was basically handed to the Penguins. The Flyers were up 3-2 with under five minutes to go, and Carter was called for a hooking penalty when Jordan Staal was actually tying his stick up. The Pens score, force OT, then win to go up 2-0 in the series. I am not saying there is a conspiracy, but the Pens benefit from both the "new NHL" rules and inconsistent officiating more than other teams in the league.

There's definitely a slant towards some teams, including the Wings. I won't deny that. I think the Penguins are the "higher up"s idea of a dream come back from the brink story.

Also, Crosby is SO bland a personality.

lol! Yes! The guy is like grey paint! I can tell you one worse though - Eric Staal. Just looking at his face puts me to sleep. He's incredibly bland and affective, and they continue to stick a microphone in his face.

He never says anything memorable, he has a weird smirk on his face most of the time, he wears the ratty middle-school moustache because he can't grow a playoff beard, and he still lives with Mario Lemieux. He's like the hockey version of the creepy villain chess kid in Searching for Bobby Fischer who doesn't go to school or have friends.

He's *still* with Mario?? Really??

Lastly, I don't like how Crosby-centric the league and its marketing are. With the media blitz, you'd think he was the greatest player in 20 years. He's not the best center on his own team! Malkin is more talented than he is. Ovechkin is more dynamic and scores more goals. Datsyuk is a better two-way player. Richards is a better captain. It doesn't matter. We get all Crosby, all the time. Also, having the commissioner of the league call one of your teams "a model franchise" for having lost consistently for years, nearly leaving their city, and racking up top draft picks all the while is just offensive. I hope that he never wins a Cup in his career.

I've had about all I can take of them comparing superficial things about Crosby to Steve Yzerman. It's really getting old. Sidney isn't a talentless hack, but he's NOT STEVE. Steve had personality and sparkle and was really clever even if very quiet and reserved. Most of the new kids seem - forgive me - stupid. Or should I say ignorant and lacking any sort of depth. At least Ovechkin is hilarious and chatty. I miss Brett Hull's running commentary.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ray Emery? REALLY? I pray for the day the Flyers will realize that changing the goalie every year isn't helping any. Marty Biron deserves better, as did several of his predecessors.

If you're bringing in Luongo or Giguere, then fine. But stop replacing someone who you think is "just a guy" with someone who is "just a guy" and also a head case to boot. Instead, I'll be writing this same post next year.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ray Emery? REALLY? I pray for the day the Flyers will realize that changing the goalie every year isn't helping any. Marty Biron deserves better, as did several of his predecessors.

If you're bringing in Luongo or Giguere, then fine. But stop replacing someone who you think is "just a guy" with someone who is "just a guy" and also a head case to boot. Instead, I'll be writing this same post next year.

They're apparently getting Emery for 1 year at $1.5 million. Luongo is not available, although Schneider might be. Giguere has a massive cap hit, and the only deal that would be worthwhile there would be Briere+ for Giguere, and Briere has a NMC. I think that Holmgren will try to use Lupul+ to get a young guy who has #1 upside (Harding, Schneider, Rask, etc.) Biron apparently wants $4-5 million a year for 3-5 years, and Nitty's hip is shot. They had to go out and get the best value guy. If Emery is on his best behavior, it may work out great. Still, we have no one in the pipeline who projects to be a #1 goalie, except MAYBE Joacim "Sunshine" Eriksson, who has never played a game in North America. I really hope the Lupul and San Jose's 3rd for Harding (or, even better, Lupul, Cote, and San Jose's 3rd for Harding and Boogaard) rumor has some merit. Emery/Harding would be a very good tandem going forward the next 2-3 years.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, Luongo and Giguere aren't realistic. But I'm tired of them replacing a decent guy with a decent guy year after year and expecting it to be different. At least Biron was well-liked and played his best in the postseason. I was just trying to say that if you're really not satisfied with your goaltending year after year, then go GET somebody instead of this half-assness. If everything goes right with Emery, then yeah, it will be a good move. But I see that possibility as slim. They're getting rid of a known quantity for a long shot. Maybe the Eagles don't listen to their fans enough, but the Flyers listen to them too much.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Game 7 - Detroit/Pittsburgh: I'd really like to see Pittsburgh take it, but I honestly don't see that happening.

Detroit 3-1.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I feel like I'm making a deal with the Devil to hope Detroit wins. But I do. It's a very distasteful business, this choosing the lesser of two evils.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I feel like I'm making a deal with the Devil to hope Detroit wins. But I do. It's a very distasteful business, this choosing the lesser of two evils.

Yeah, it's like aligning with the Empire because the other team is full of Hayden Christensens.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bet Detroit starts pressing... pressure's on now!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm pretty surprised at the outcome but happy with it. :hi: Pittsburgh haters.

nba_g_crosby13_288v.jpg

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm happy that Pittsburgh won it. I love to see the underdog triumph, nothing against the Detroit Red Wings.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I may have been bellowing at the tv the last 4 minutes of the 3rd period. Could the Wings have been more limp-wristed? What a terrible time for a break down. Puck-handling went to hell and the defense? Yikes.

SO not pleased.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have to hand it to the Penguins. They took it away from home!