First 91011121321 Last

Thread: Hockey

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Is there any other city that doesn't televise their homegames at all? The team is finally starting to spend money. It will take time, but at least now it will be fun to watch.

(Of course, it seems like half the team isn't old enough to vote yet, but it's a start...)
    I know our team ( the Hurricanes ) only televises certain games, and they're only aired on a certain cable station. Otherwise, we have to order Center Ice. It's very frustrating.

MBTI
    ISTJ

LadyJaye, we didn't even have that option. I won't speak ill of the man, but Bill Wirtz was definitely from another era. I think it was a product of the times as well. No one really complained back then - the old Chicago Stadium literally shook from the fan support - we had all of six television channels. Once technology and corporate sponsorship took hold, all of the iconic Chicago owners (Wirtz, Halas, Wrigley) were determined to hang on to the old ways until the very end. They couldn't understand that fans now had choices other than to come to their games...It was especially bad for hockey, as it sank to a second tier event (the Wolves AHL franchise was out-promoting and out-drawing an original six NHL team) at best.

Anyhow - didn't mean to reminesce - just glad our franchise now has the twenty-first century in its sights.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    ISTx

Ay yo Merc, how'd you like seeing the shoot-out win by San Jose live?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Ay yo Merc, how'd you like seeing the shoot-out win by San Jose live?
    I actually was walking over to the bar area to watch the Phillies game at that point. I knew it was going to be a loss after OT ended. The Flyer just don't win shootouts, and I didn't want to see it. It was a wild game, though. I was actually picking up my tickets from Will Call, and the next two people were trashy-hot chicks, probably 21 or so. The girl asked for her tickets by name, then added "Jeff Carter left them." He clearly scored more than once last night.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTx

lol

MBTI
    ISTx

Cool

The Sharks beat Pittsburgh last night at home, 2-1. The Pens only delivered 11 shots on goal the whole game (yes, that's with Malkin and Crosby in rotation the entire game). That's what the hell I'm talking about! A good win for us. Off to Detroit next.

MBTI
    ISTx

Just want everyone to know that the Sharks currently have the best win/loss ratio in the NHL. 10-2. We've put up wins against Pittsburgh and Detroit.

MBTI
    ISTx

I consult FMW, thee who knows much more than I of hockey.

So, the Sharks are 15-3-1. That's pretty sick, right? What does it mean?! Is this our year????

It means you have a very good start. I know every game counts the same, but teams can look a lot different in November than they do in March. Hockey teams routinely get off to hot starts. In 2006, the Buffalo Sabres started 10-0-0, got to 20-3-2, and didn't even make the Stanley Cup Finals. Certainly you should be happy, but it's not like the Sharks haven't been down this road...pretty much every one of the last six or seven years. I can't think of a team in any of the four major team sports that has so consistently underperformed vs. expectations over the last decade. Maybe the Dallas Mavericks, possibly the New York Mets if you only count the last few years.

I'm really not saying that to bash you or your team, it's just the facts. The Sharks have probably been one of the three or four most talented teams in the NHL for years, but they haven't even gotten to the finals yet. I'm not saying they won't, but I think they're in "put up or shut up" territory. I think the mix of veterans they added over the last two years make this year probably their best chance yet, but I'm still skeptical.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

Ahh, ok. I only started following hockey within the past year. Not too keen on the history and what not, although I'm very aware of the Sharks' tendency to choke in the playoffs despite their good regular season play. I guess I wasn't sure if it was common for the Sharks to start out this strong.