• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Look what the Hippies are doing...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of the best jam bands and progressive rock bands are hardly known to people who aren't already really into these genres. And it's unfortunate because much of this music is some of the best contemporary rock music around, taking over where 60's psychedelic rock left off.

So here are just two songs by one band that I guarantee you'll like assuming you have ears, just make sure to listen to the whole songs.

YouTube - Umphrey's McGee - Glory - 11/3/2006
YouTube - Umphreys McGee JaJunk JITD 2005

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I can't stand most jam bands, but I never cared for the more improvisatory end of 1960s rock, either. I put a major premium on concise, hooky songwriting.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Pop music?? Top 40 stuff? :1377:

Not necessarily, but I'd rather hear half an hour of Usher than this music. I watched that first video, and it was really, really annoying. Nice guitar tone, but there is nothing even approaching a song. That was SUCH a long 5:40. I went to a Phish concert once, and it was damn near intolerable without a lot of weed.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Not necessarily, but I'd rather hear half an hour of Usher than this music. I watched that first video, and it was really, really annoying. Nice guitar tone, but there is nothing even approaching a song. That was SUCH a long 5:40. I went to a Phish concert once, and it was damn near intolerable without a lot of weed.

I guess we have really different tastes. Improv and progressive music seems to be better enjoyed by NP's. I'd shoot somebody if I had to listen to an hour of Usher. You might like the 2nd one better, it's kind of Primus-like.

I'm curious on why you didn't think it even approached a song. Because it didn't have the mandatory hook, verse, chorus...template? It had an intro, buildup and climax though.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I like Umphrey's McGee.

See also:
Disco Biscuits
Lotus
The String Cheese Incident (my personal favorite out of this list)
Pat Metheny
Govt Mule
etc.

And of course the obligatory Phish bootleg. There are some Reba's that bring me close to tears.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I guess we have really different tastes. Improv and progressive music seems to be better enjoyed by NP's. I'd shoot somebody if I had to listen to an hour of Usher. You might like the 2nd one better, it's kind of Primus-like.

I'm curious on why you didn't think it even approached a song. Because it didn't have the mandatory hook, verse, chorus...template? It had an intro, buildup and climax though.

The guy pretty much soloed the whole way through. If you look at it in terms of jazz, it makes more sense (i.e., soloist and acommpanists), but not when it comes to pop songwriting. That was NOT hooky. I do not dig most contemporary instrumentals, so that is another issue (I really dig Joe Meek, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, et al., the occasional Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani song).

Here is an example of a psychedelic pop song that I love:

YouTube - ELECTRIC PRUNES - I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I like Umphrey's McGee.

See also:
Disco Biscuits
Lotus
The String Cheese Incident (my personal favorite out of this list)
Pat Metheny
Govt Mule
etc.

And of course the obligatory Phish bootleg. There are some Reba's that bring me close to tears.

If we're making a list know, I'll have to add a few:

Sound Tribe Sector Nine
moe.
Bela Fleck
The New Deal
Medeski Martin & Wood

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
It sounds suspiciously like dorky American cheese mixed with fretboard wankery.

But it made me laugh.

I watched Good Morning, Vietnam the other day, and have gone all Motown again. Now there's some quality American cheese. "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, baby" *dances*

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The guy pretty much soloed the whole way through. If you look at it in terms of jazz, it makes more sense (i.e., soloist and acommpanists), but not when it comes to pop songwriting. That was NOT hooky. I do not dig most contemporary instrumentals, so that is another issue (I really dig Joe Meek, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, et al., the occasional Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani song).

Here is an example of a psychedelic pop song that I love:

YouTube - ELECTRIC PRUNES - I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT

Yeah, I don't think they were trying to write a song within the confines of pop songwriting.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, I don't think they were trying to write a song within the confines of pop songwriting.

I understand that, but they should probably try. Alternatively, if they were a straight-up jazz combo, it might work, also. A few bands in history have been able to do much longer, improvisation-based songs (the Allman Brothers Band is the first example I can think of; Zeppelin had their ten-minute epics), but a little noodling can be a dangerous thing.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It sounds suspiciously like dorky American cheese mixed with fretboard wankery.

But it made me laugh.

I watched Good Morning, Vietnam the other day, and have gone all Motown again. Now there's some quality American cheese. "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, baby" *dances*

I am a big Northern Soul guy. I messes with The Carstairs! :headphne:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Sound Tribe Sector Nine
moe.
Bela Fleck

Yes, these are also good. I used to listen to MMW too, but their sound got old pretty fast. If you like Bela Fleck, you should also check out Chick Corea, and Pat Metheny, whom I mentioned before.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't like progressive or jam band stuff either. I don't even compare it to jazz cause it's completely different from that, too, and I do like jazz a lot. I can appreciate both improvised jazz type stuff and pop songwriting, and I apreciate music that does both the most. Thats why Hendrix=god.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can appreciate both improvised jazz type stuff and pop songwriting, and I apreciate music that does both the most. Thats why Hendrix=god.

Hendrix did neither of those things. He did psychedelic rock/blues rock/acid rock/hard rock. He would fall under "jam band" these days.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hendrix did neither of those things. He did psychedelic rock/blues rock/acid rock/hard rock. He would fall under "jam band" these days.

Hendrix most certainly DID display excellent pop songwriting. His songs were usually under four minutes long! I think he would have got into more of an exploratory funk vein in the 1970s, following the more experiemental Band of Gypsys, and that probably wouldn't have been a good thing. I imagine he'd have gotten into synths a lot, too. I am sure he'd have been very funky and good into the mid-1970s, gotten indulgent, came back with a couple of sweet tracks with James Brown and/or Afrika Bambaataa, and then gotten into a more relaxed, bluesy vibe as he aged. You know, like pretty much every other classic rock artist from the time who made it through the early-1970s alive and sane.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Hendrix most certainly DID display excellent pop songwriting. His songs were usually under four minutes long! I think he would have got into more of an exploratory funk vein in the 1970s, following the more experiemental Band of Gypsys, and that probably wouldn't have been a good thing. I imagine he'd have gotten into synths a lot, too. I am sure he'd have been very funky and good into the mid-1970s, gotten indulgent, came back with a couple of sweet tracks with James Brown and/or Afrika Bambaataa, and then gotten into a more relaxed, bluesy vibe as he aged. You know, like pretty much every other classic rock artist from the time who made it through the early-1970s alive and sane.

The Beatles did pop writing. Hendrix and his bands weren't pop groups.

Pop music and writing has mainstream and conventional structures, catchy hooks and melodies...etc.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The Beatles did pop writing. Hendrix and his bands weren't pop groups.

Pop music and writing has mainstream and conventional structures, catchy hooks and melodies...etc.

You are completely mistaken here. Hendrix didn't have catchy hooks and melodies? "Foxy Lady?" "Fire?" "Crosstown Traffic?" "The Wind Cries Mary?" "Spanish Castle Magic?" Are we talking about the same guy?