User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You are completely mistaken here. Hendrix didn't have catchy hooks and melodies? "Foxy Lady?" "Fire?" "Crosstown Traffic?" "The Wind Cries Mary?" "Spanish Castle Magic?" Are we talking about the same guy?
    I wouldn't say catchy in the same way as The Beatles or ABBA was.

And then there is the mainstream style and conventional structure aspects of pop music, are we talking about the same guy? Pop music is also usually all about commercial success not musical form or creativity.

You can't seriously think Hendrix did pop music.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I wouldn't say catchy in the same way as The Beatles or ABBA was.
    Perhaps not, but I didn't claim that he was.

And then there is the mainstream style and conventional structure aspects of pop music, are we talking about the same guy? Pop music is also usually all about commercial success not musical form or creativity.

You can't seriously think Hendrix did pop music.
    I seriously DO think that, because it's the truth. In fact, here is the beginning of allmusic.com's review of Are You Experienced?: "One of the most stunning debuts in rock history, and one of the definitive albums of the psychedelic era. On Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix synthesized various elements of the cutting edge of 1967 rock into music that sounded both futuristic and rooted in the best traditions of rock, blues, POP, and soul (my bold)."

You have a completely misguided notion of what pop music is, and it's silly. Pop music is not about "musical form or creativity?" So The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, The Police, Prince, Motown Records, and hundreds of other artists were not about "musical form or creativity?" That's ludicrous.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hendrix definitely made his share of pop music, and it was awesome.

I definitely have a short fuse when it comes to jam bands. Sometimes no fuse at all. Couldn't stomach the stuff in the OP. Sorry.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Perhaps not, but I didn't claim that he was.

I seriously DO think that, because it's the truth. In fact, here is the beginning of allmusic.com's review of Are You Experienced?: "One of the most stunning debuts in rock history, and one of the definitive albums of the psychedelic era. On Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix synthesized various elements of the cutting edge of 1967 rock into music that sounded both futuristic and rooted in the best traditions of rock, blues, POP, and soul (my bold)."

You have a completely misguided notion of what pop music is, and it's silly. Pop music is not about "musical form or creativity?" So The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, The Police, Prince, Motown Records, and hundreds of other artists were not about "musical form or creativity?" That's ludicrous.
    You can say that he had pop elements to his music, even though I would disagree with that, but that wouldn't make him a pop songwriter, unless we are defining pop music as anything that made it to the Top 40 charts. You couldn't name anyone of his songs and say it's just a pop song.

And pop music is generally less about creativity and musical forms than it is about making what they think the audience will like and what will be commercially successful. The Top 40 contains much less creativity than other more complex and musical contemporary music.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

somebody visited wikipedia!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    somebody visited wikipedia!
    i always visit wikipedia.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You can say that he had pop elements to his music, even though I would disagree with that, but that wouldn't make him a pop songwriter, unless we are defining pop music as anything that made it to the Top 40 charts. You couldn't name anyone of his songs and say it's just a pop song.

Of course I can. I named several of his songs that are pop songs. He had others like "Machine Gun" and "Voodoo Chile" that were not pop songs. To declare that none of his songs were pop songs is mad.

And pop music is generally less about creativity and musical forms than it is about making what they think the audience will like and what will be commercially successful. The Top 40 contains much less creativity than other more complex and musical contemporary music.

You're just wrong about this. Completely and totally wrong. Those videos you posted are about 2% as creative as Thriller-era Michael Jackson. It's not good to be simultaneously a snob AND have bad taste.

MBTI
    INTP

Of course I can. I named several of his songs that are pop songs. He had others like "Machine Gun" and "Voodoo Chile" that were not pop songs. To declare that none of his songs were pop songs is mad.

You're just wrong about this. Completely and totally wrong. Those videos you posted are about 2% as creative as Thriller-era Michael Jackson. It's not good to be simultaneously a snob AND have bad taste.
    Were they pop songs? Or were they rock/rock-blues/psychedelic rock songs with alleged pop influence also. "Dancing Queen" is a pop song. If a song has "pop" as just one of it's many influences, that doesn't make it a pop song.

No one thinks that Hendrix was a pop musician or had pop songs. Maybe you're definition of pop is more broad than the accepted definition. Were those conventional and mainstream?

Michael Jackson is arguable the best pop artist of all time, but those songs I posted take talent to play live. Live shows are the heart of jam bands. Most pop stars couldn't play a fraction of the guitar in those songs.

But if you can dig Usher and Madonna, I don't know what to say. That's kid music.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Were they pop songs? Or were they rock/rock-blues/psychedelic rock songs with alleged pop influence also. "Dancing Queen" is a pop song. If a song has "pop" as just one of it's many influences, that doesn't make it a pop song.
    It doesn't make it NOT a pop song. And, if anyone were pop, ABBA were.

No one thinks that Hendrix was a pop musician or had pop songs. Maybe you're definition of pop is more broad than the accepted definition. Were those conventional and mainstream?
    Actually, lots of people do, including critics, whom I just cited. YOU seem to be obsessed with the idea that he is NOT pop, because you have it in your mind that "pop = bad," which is stupid. Pop doesn't have to be conventional at all. Ever listen to Fleetwood Mac? Or OutKast?

Michael Jackson is arguable the best pop artist of all time, but those songs I posted take talent to play live. Live shows are the heart of jam bands. Most pop stars couldn't play a fraction of the guitar in those songs.
    You don't have to be a technically astounding instrumentalist to be a great musician. People who argue that you do have to be tend to be the people with no songwriting ability and very little creative spark.

But if you can dig Usher and Madonna, I don't know what to say. That's kid music.
    You're wrong. It's just plain good music.

i like...