User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The guy pretty much soloed the whole way through. If you look at it in terms of jazz, it makes more sense (i.e., soloist and acommpanists), but not when it comes to pop songwriting. That was NOT hooky. I do not dig most contemporary instrumentals, so that is another issue (I really dig Joe Meek, Dick Dale, Duane Eddy, et al., the occasional Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani song).

Here is an example of a psychedelic pop song that I love:

YouTube - ELECTRIC PRUNES - I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT
    Yeah, I don't think they were trying to write a song within the confines of pop songwriting.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they were trying to write a song within the confines of pop songwriting.
    I understand that, but they should probably try. Alternatively, if they were a straight-up jazz combo, it might work, also. A few bands in history have been able to do much longer, improvisation-based songs (the Allman Brothers Band is the first example I can think of; Zeppelin had their ten-minute epics), but a little noodling can be a dangerous thing.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    It sounds suspiciously like dorky American cheese mixed with fretboard wankery.

But it made me laugh.

I watched Good Morning, Vietnam the other day, and have gone all Motown again. Now there's some quality American cheese. "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, baby" *dances*
    I am a big Northern Soul guy. I messes with The Carstairs!

MBTI
    INTP

Sound Tribe Sector Nine
    moe.
    Bela Fleck
    Yes, these are also good. I used to listen to MMW too, but their sound got old pretty fast. If you like Bela Fleck, you should also check out Chick Corea, and Pat Metheny, whom I mentioned before.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yes, these are also good. I used to listen to MMW too, but their sound got old pretty fast. If you like Bela Fleck, you should also check out Chick Corea, and Pat Metheny, whom I mentioned before.
    I like Chick Corea.

MBTI
    infp

I don't like progressive or jam band stuff either. I don't even compare it to jazz cause it's completely different from that, too, and I do like jazz a lot. I can appreciate both improvised jazz type stuff and pop songwriting, and I apreciate music that does both the most. Thats why Hendrix=god.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I can appreciate both improvised jazz type stuff and pop songwriting, and I apreciate music that does both the most. Thats why Hendrix=god.
    Hendrix did neither of those things. He did psychedelic rock/blues rock/acid rock/hard rock. He would fall under "jam band" these days.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hendrix did neither of those things. He did psychedelic rock/blues rock/acid rock/hard rock. He would fall under "jam band" these days.
    Hendrix most certainly DID display excellent pop songwriting. His songs were usually under four minutes long! I think he would have got into more of an exploratory funk vein in the 1970s, following the more experiemental Band of Gypsys, and that probably wouldn't have been a good thing. I imagine he'd have gotten into synths a lot, too. I am sure he'd have been very funky and good into the mid-1970s, gotten indulgent, came back with a couple of sweet tracks with James Brown and/or Afrika Bambaataa, and then gotten into a more relaxed, bluesy vibe as he aged. You know, like pretty much every other classic rock artist from the time who made it through the early-1970s alive and sane.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Hendrix most certainly DID display excellent pop songwriting. His songs were usually under four minutes long! I think he would have got into more of an exploratory funk vein in the 1970s, following the more experiemental Band of Gypsys, and that probably wouldn't have been a good thing. I imagine he'd have gotten into synths a lot, too. I am sure he'd have been very funky and good into the mid-1970s, gotten indulgent, came back with a couple of sweet tracks with James Brown and/or Afrika Bambaataa, and then gotten into a more relaxed, bluesy vibe as he aged. You know, like pretty much every other classic rock artist from the time who made it through the early-1970s alive and sane.
    The Beatles did pop writing. Hendrix and his bands weren't pop groups.

Pop music and writing has mainstream and conventional structures, catchy hooks and melodies...etc.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The Beatles did pop writing. Hendrix and his bands weren't pop groups.

Pop music and writing has mainstream and conventional structures, catchy hooks and melodies...etc.
    You are completely mistaken here. Hendrix didn't have catchy hooks and melodies? "Foxy Lady?" "Fire?" "Crosstown Traffic?" "The Wind Cries Mary?" "Spanish Castle Magic?" Are we talking about the same guy?