• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Should NOT Be Remade

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hollywood is always doing remakes and reboots. Sometimes they're good. Most of the time, they're terrible. What are some movies that should never be remade?

Here are some of my choices.

Back to the Future
The Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein
The Birds

Also, I read that there might be a remake of The Thin Man. I really hope not. No one could be better than William Powell and Myrna Loy.

What about you?

á´…eparted

passages
Movies being remade as a principal doesn't bother me :shrug:.

The only time I care is if it looks like the cast, studio, plot, or director are going to not do it justice or make it bad. THEN I'll get upset, but that's super rare. No movies are coming to mind. In some cases I actually love the remakes. For example: the new Willy Wonka? LOVE IT. Partially cause I love pretty much everything Tim Burton touches. The original is still fantastic in its own right. I love them both.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hollywood is always doing remakes and reboots. Sometimes they're good. Most of the time, they're terrible. What are some movies that should never be remade?

Here are some of my choices.

Back to the Future
The Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein
The Birds

Also, I read that there might be a remake of The Thin Man. I really hope not. No one could be better than William Powell and Myrna Loy.

What about you?

Definitely agree with Princess Bride. I think I would add Breakfast Club and It's a Wonderful Life to the list.

IMO remakes only work if the original material is from a book or a play. Because then it's more like a different interpretation/representation. [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] mentioned the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate factory and I think that's a good example. I really enjoy both movies separately. It's less of a remake and more of a remimagination of sorts.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My uncle had something to say about this once. He said (translated to remove all the "shit"s and "fuck"s) why do they keep remaking all the good movies? They remake a good movie, and they tend to ruin it. Why don't they just take a bad movie and remake that, because they can't make it worse.

Crabs

Permabanned
Back to the Future
The Princess Bride
Young Frankenstein
The Birds

the princess bride for sure.

i'm appalled by all the rumors surrounding the ghostbusters reboot. swapping the genders of the main cast is nothing but a gimmick. to top it off, chris hemsworth has now been cast as the secretary. there's a reason why all of these directors passed on the opportunity to shit all over this beloved classic, but not paul feig; his shitting has commenced with great malice aforethought.

i didn't think the star trek and robocop remakes were that bad, although i wasn't a huge fan of the originals.

hopefully, there won't be a remake of jaws or the godfather. but there's really no limit to how low hollywood will go to make a few bucks.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
the princess bride for sure.

i'm appalled by all the rumors surrounding the ghostbusters reboot. swapping the genders of the main cast is nothing but a gimmick. to top it off, chris hemsworth has now been cast as the secretary. there's a reason why all of these directors passed on the opportunity to shit all over this beloved classic, but not paul feig; his shitting has commenced with great malice aforethought.

i didn't think the star trek and robocop remakes were that bad, although i wasn't a huge fan of the originals.

hopefully, there won't be a remake of jaws or the godfather. but there's really no limit to how low hollywood will go to make a few bucks.

Chris Hemsworth should so have some nerdy glasses on.

Jaguar

Too many to list. Why do they want to fuck up excellence? Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know - a run for the money.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree about not remaking The Princess Bride and Back to the Future.

I guess the problem is, no one wants to remake a bad movie; people want to remake previously successful ones, since they can justify the expense. I think Showbread has something when she says that movies made from books have a better chance at a remake that is more of a 'retelling'; of course The Princess Bride was from a book (and the author did his own adaptation), but still, one has trouble imagining that it could be told better. There are other books (like Tolkien's stuff) where some people liked the movies and some didn't, and the story was sprawling enough that it could be retold with a different focus... but not now, it will be some years before that story could be remade.

I think when a movie is generally considered "bad" but you can see points of the story that actually could have been done far better or the movie put together in a different way and/or with a different case that it seems feasible to redo the movie.

I really hate 'remakes' where they don't present their own vision for the movie but just do a shot-by-shot remake. Like... why?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do't really care if they remake movies. If it is good it's good, if it isn't it isn't. They might mess it up, but if they do it's alright, I just ignore it. But yeah they do mess up movies all the time with remakes, but remakes might even refresh interest for the original. But yeah, remaking any classic scary movie just pretty mich seems like a bad idea. The new poltergeist... would have been ok if it was was the original but just didn't live up to the previous.

So pretty much they shouldn't remake scary movies. Just probably not worth the time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem with scary movies is that the genre is a crapshoot to begin with. It's only about a "20% good movie" genre, and the rest drop into dreck. Most are very exchangeable and/or forgettable.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Scary movies pretty much overlap with each other, same formulas being applied on top of one another. Jump scares, attempts at suspenseful buildup, occasionally some sort of twist or gore, ending that wraps up most things happily but leaves enough open for a possible sequel. Rinse and repeat. The movies are too similar to each other on their own to really justify a remake, but still they roll out. Guess they are an easy and 'fun' way to get people to the theators-see their favorite movies on steroids. It would be too hard to me to make a remake of a scary movie that does justice to the original without totally getting away from the plot. Carrie was close though, that remake was alright. Not excellent, but not horrible.

I think remakes are pretty difficult to pull off in general, you just have too much history with the original. Particular things a character said in a particular way, nuances, all of that. Too difficult to recreate the smaller aspects, and I think those are what people actually remember. I am not sure what movie could be remade sucessfully- maybe those that are just super outdated but have a good idea behind it.

Logans Run for example might be a decent movie to remake.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
THE WARRIORS

it was too good as it was...it is too good as it is.

Hollywood can only destroy it with a remake and I will be depressed and dejected if they ever try this ish.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really hate 'remakes' where they don't present their own vision for the movie but just do a shot-by-shot remake. Like... why?

Yeah, that's annoying. If you're going to remake something, introduce some changes. Don't just do the same thing verbatim.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scary movies pretty much overlap with each other, same formulas being applied on top of one another. Jump scares, attempts at suspenseful buildup, occasionally some sort of twist or gore, ending that wraps up most things happily but leaves enough open for a possible sequel. Rinse and repeat. The movies are too similar to each other on their own to really justify a remake, but still they roll out. Guess they are an easy and 'fun' way to get people to the theators-see their favorite movies on steroids. It would be too hard to me to make a remake of a scary movie that does justice to the original without totally getting away from the plot. Carrie was close though, that remake was alright. Not excellent, but not horrible.

I agree that it was okay... but that was a disappointment in itself. DePalma's version was above par but had some rough edges to work out. When the remake comes in as 'less than,' it's disappointing. The new stuff (such as exploring Mom's religious mania more as a psychological illness + the whole opening scene) was a step up, but then it just lost its way and became rather by rote and more shallow.

But that being said, there's a lot of Stephen King stuff that had crappy cinematic conversations and could stand to be remade... if they devote the proper amount of time and accentuate the more enduring parts of King's vision rather than the schlockiest.

Logans Run for example might be a decent movie to remake.

that's a good example. I'm not really familiar with the original, but I do think a 40+ year old movie that could benefit from the tech effects progress and more complex story realization could work.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol, what do you mean?

It's timeless. There has to be something about a movie that has immense appeal among a generation that wasn't even alive when it first came out.

I'd be willing to list "Jedi" as my religion on a census form.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I agree that it was okay... but that was a disappointment in itself. DePalma's version was above par but had some rough edges to work out. When the remake comes in as 'less than,' it's disappointing. The new stuff (such as exploring Mom's religious mania more as a psychological illness + the whole opening scene) was a step up, but then it just lost its way and became rather by rote and more shallow.

But that being said, there's a lot of Stephen King stuff that had crappy cinematic conversations and could stand to be remade... if they devote the proper amount of time and accentuate the more enduring parts of King's vision rather than the schlockiest.

that's a good example. I'm not really familiar with the original, but I do think a 40+ year old movie that could benefit from the tech effects progress and more complex story realization could work.

Yeah he sure has given producers a good amount of workable material, but honestly I think it might be difficult for them to really make something that really brings out the character of the books. Steven King is heavily on internal dialogue, and symbolism in the small and seemingly inconsequential... His work is just so subtle and seems to translate better over print then screen. Unless the producers were to start dropping obvious hints, which would detract and distract, only a sliver of the plot could really be put into play. But either way you cut it, buly leaving stuff out or putting too much in, you lose.

Obviously that doesn't go for all of his work, but judging by the lack of success and disappointments, it kind of does go for most of it. The Stand... Doubt we'll ever see a really good adaption. But the Shining-a more straightforward, linear, and possibly more familiar story line, that was more possible. And they succeeded with that. It is his shorter works, that could work. But, especially as of late, he is movie farther towards the obscure.

Logans Run has a fairly decent premise, but they could have done so much more with it-even in its time. But its storyline is so open, and it seems like media has gone towards this genre, has developed similar sucessful movies, that they could end up scraping this film up to justice. There are no expectations tied to a movie like this. It wasn't super popular, there isn't a overwhelming amount of familiarity/little to no cult following, that they wouldn't have to follow familiar aspects. Remakes of popular movies...

To me once there are expectations tied to a movie it can go one of two ways to a majority-be a major disappointment, or match up to the original. And either way, it kind of loses.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carrie (1976), comes to mind.