• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

For Ghost Hunters, there's - The Dead Files

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Dead Files : TV Shows : Travel Channel
"On The Dead Files, physical [sic] medium Amy Allan and retired NYPD homicide detective Steve DiSchiavi combine their unique and often conflicting skills to solve unexplained paranormal phenomena in haunted locations across America."

I think someone meant to write "psychic medium," not "physical medium."

Psychic (physical?) detective Amy Allen and homicide detective Steve DiSchiavi travel around the US investigating claims of paranormal occurrences. DiSchiavi interviews key witnesses and then researches the backgrounds of haunted locations. Amy Allen does a "walk-through" of the location, making weird faces and gesturing clumsily while she detects various types of supernatural phenomena. No special equipment is used (unlike Ghost Adventures), only Amy's talent for being able to sniff out ghosts wherever they may lurk.

I question the idea that Amy and Steve have "conflicting skills" (see first paragraph above). They have complementary skills. Because in "The Reveal" portion of the show they bring their findings together to see how well they agree. And the vast majority of the time their findings do correspond. These findings include a ghost sketch that Amy has had drawn up by a local sketch artist compared with a picture that DiSchiavi has extracted from some old record or file, usually of a previous owner of the house.

After the 17 episodes I've viewed, there was only one occasion when the picture and sketch did not match. But on a few occasions, the sketch was not of anything that was ever human. For example, this creature, as described to and drawn by a sketch artist, appeared to Amy early on in the series:

tumblr_moeytfYs1x1sne3fio1_500_zps7a2a233e.png

One grumpy blogger, critical of the series, complained that Amy "just happens" to find something unique or special in each episode. But, as revealed by my viewings, this is not true. Out of 17 episodes, Amy has thus far found only one unique phenomenon, perhaps two if we count the "paper cut-out" KKK ghosts in Texas. But she stated that they too were only ghosts.

I've learned a few new things from watching this series. The term "poltergeist" no longer refers to a "noisy ghost." And there are "shadow people" of unknown origin who feed on the souls of living people. Many supernatural phenomena are simply detached emotional "vibrations" that have lingered on long after the people who made them have passed on. Others are subconscious manifestations of living people.

The Dead Files is a good, fun, spooky show, but as with many things I'm satisfied to simply watch the events unfold on tv rather than be forced to live through them.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I watched two seasons on Netflix. It's probably not the best show to marathon since the cases start blending together. I like the format, especially seeing Steve's investigation. Other shows usually gloss over the research part.

Paranormal reality shows are like candy to me. Well, except for Paranormal State, which is like looking into your trick-or-treat bag and finding a ball of stale popcorn.

I've learned a few new things from watching this series. The term "poltergeist" no longer refers to a "noisy ghost." And there are "shadow people" of unknown origin who feed on the souls of living people. Many supernatural phenomena are simply detached emotional "vibrations" that have lingered on long after the people who made them have passed on. Others are subconscious manifestations of living people.

I knew about poltergeists, but Amy's assertion that poltergeists can continue after their creator dies was new to me, as was the concept that the dead can create their own poltergeists. I'd heard that it was usually young women who create poltergeist activity and that it tends to taper off over time as they become less emotionally volatile or something.

Also, the shadow people seem to be defined differently by different people. I've heard a theory that the hat-wearing shadow people are travelers from another dimension. There'd be witnesses who claimed the shadow people were surprised to be noticed. So some people think they're observers from somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm hoping one of these episodes, the sketch artist will ask, "Amy, is this what you saw?" Then she'll look at the drawing and say, "No. WTF is that?"

The family who thought ghosts caused their kids to have autism and Asperger's was too much even for me. Seriously, stop that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I watched two seasons on Netflix. It's probably not the best show to marathon since the cases start blending together. I like the format, especially seeing Steve's investigation. Other shows usually gloss over the research part.

Paranormal reality shows are like candy to me. Well, except for Paranormal State, which is like looking into your trick-or-treat bag and finding a ball of stale popcorn.

I knew about poltergeists, but Amy's assertion that poltergeists can continue after their creator dies was new to me, as was the concept that the dead can create their own poltergeists. I'd heard that it was usually young women who create poltergeist activity and that it tends to taper off over time as they become less emotionally volatile or something.

Also, the shadow people seem to be defined differently by different people. I've heard a theory that the hat-wearing shadow people are travelers from another dimension. There'd be witnesses who claimed the shadow people were surprised to be noticed. So some people think they're observers from somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm hoping one of these episodes, the sketch artist will ask, "Amy, is this what you saw?" Then she'll look at the drawing and say, "No. WTF is that?"

The family who thought ghosts caused their kids to have autism and Asperger's was too much even for me. Seriously, stop that.

In an episode from season 2, Amy said that she's seen Death, and that he doesn't look like our caricature of Death.

Death-and-taxes.jpg

I wonder what Death really looks like?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sketch from the Dead Files apparently depicts bowing Chinese ghosts (season 7, ep 1):

chinese.JPG

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So now my wife likes The Dead Files, which is really unusual. I think it's the first time she's ever liked a show that I watch. It started when I told her that Amy makes funny faces at the camera.

I agree that this show is hard to watch as a marathon. But I split it up pretty good by avoiding watching too many episodes in one day. And then I learned to skip past certain parts of the show, such as the beginning which always describes exactly the same way what's going to happen in the show. I also skip the "sketch" scene since there is no real action there and Amy always agrees that "yes this is what I saw."

I've noticed on Youtube that a lot of people just skip forward to "The Reveal," which is my favorite part. I like it because the music is so spooky and creepy, and for the reactions of the people. Sometimes their hands go to their mouths before the sketch is revealed ("This is a sketch of what I saw in the child's bedroom"), and when it's revealed, they very quietly freak out. One very tough looking guy quietly said, "Pardon me, I have to take a break..." and left the table. That one was creepy because Amy had sketched a monster from a parallel universe that was trying to get inside their house.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched a new episode of The Dead Files tonight. I haven't seen every show, but for the first time since I started watching this series, Amy Allen mentioned - aliens.

Amy had a sketch done of these aliens. They didn't look at all like our UFOlogist's traditional "whites" and "greys." They looked like cute, small children wearing rain coats and hats. It was implied in the show that these aliens come from a parallel dimension.

This isn't the first time Amy has mentioned parallel dimensions. But the only other time I saw her talk about it, there were creatures coming through a "hallway," leading to our dimension, that look like distorted, mutated animals, but having about the same level of intelligence as insects.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This show has become my new embarrassing guilty pleasure.

One grumpy blogger, critical of the series, complained that Amy "just happens" to find something unique or special in each episode. But, as revealed by my viewings, this is not true. Out of 17 episodes, Amy has thus far found only one unique phenomenon, perhaps two if we count the "paper cut-out" KKK ghosts in Texas. But she stated that they too were only ghosts.

She doesn't find something special in each episode, but her reactions are really kinda formulaic. She's constantly saying "I don't like it" or "this is really bad" or "s/he really hates me", "s/he doesn't want me here", "s/he wants to hurt me/kill me", "this ghost is really dangerous." She says this (most of these phrases) about at least one entity in each episode, sometimes more than one. It does kinda feel like they should mix it up a bit, because constant extreme reactions quickly gets to a point of diminishing returns.

Anyway. Do you have an opinion on Amy's type?

[And she does make really funny faces. The guy makes pretty funny faces too, while he's listening to people- like he's more surprised by what they're saying than he should be. The guy kind smacks of xxTJ, imo.]

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

She doesn't find something special in each episode, but her reactions are really kinda formulaic. She's constantly saying "I don't like it" or "this is really bad" or "s/he really hates me", "s/he doesn't want me here", "s/he wants to hurt me/kill me", "this ghost is really dangerous." She says this (most of these phrases) about at least one entity in each episode, sometimes more than one. It does kinda feel like they should mix it up a bit, because constant extreme reactions quickly gets to a point of diminishing returns.

[And she does make really funny faces. The guy makes pretty funny faces too, while he's listening to people- like he's more surprised by what they're saying than he should be. The guy kind smacks of xxTJ, imo.]

I concluded that the detective is an ISFJ, although ISTJ is plausible. That's just based on impressions.

Amy Allen toned down the odd faces she would make during the first season, like the one with her mouth all squinched over to one side and her eyes wide open at the same time. She repeats the same lines constantly, e.g., "This is bad bad bad, very bad." I can tell that sometimes, during the meeting at the end, she feels like she's not going to be believed. Like when she turns her head to one side and kind of whispers, "aliens?" Because she knows it's aliens and is afraid of being scoffed at. She also lowers her voice and hesitates when she has bad news, as when she says, "I'm sorry, it's a difficult situation. But I would recommend moving out."

Amy has an unusual personality type, definitely in the lower percentages, as with INFJ.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I thought ENFJ for Amy. INFJ makes sense, too.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The same stupid blogger (sorry for the redundancy) also stated that Amy's ex-husband, who records her walks with her, makes leading indications to her by nodding his head. But in fact he is super deadpan and rarely moves his head. I think I saw him slightly nod at something one time - and I guess that PROVES he's leading Amy around. But the guy doesn't even twitch his nose while doing his job, and the very reason for this is to avoid doing anything to "lead the witness." That's also why he removes or hides all pictures or other personal items from the home before the walk.

He also seems introverted, moreso than the other two characters in the show. He might be an INTP.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's her ex-husband? That's impressive, they get along very well. Yeah, I don't see him as guiding anything either. If anything I think he asks pretty good clarifying questions about what she's experiencing. He elicits specific details (e.g. "Can you tell what he did for a living?" "How does he want to hurt people?") that lend credence to her 'abilities'. Any snake oil salesman can walk through an allegedly haunted place saying, "I think he's evil. I don't like it here. I think he wants to hurt people."** That guy puts forth handy nudges to be more specific.

As far as her type- INFJ wouldn't entirely surprise me. I'd be more inclined to think ENFJ if she's an NFJ, just because it seems like her default is to be really expressive (emphatic facial expressions and tone). I think generally INFJs are more controlled than that- we only become animated around people we've established a certain comfort level with. Although she's more subdued/calm in clips that I'd guess were shot afterward and inserted back into her 'walk' in order to clarify things, so I don't know. All I can estimate about her though is 'F'- pretty sure she's a Feeler.

Investigator guy: yeah, ISFJ is feasible to me too. I guess I'd say he smacks of ISJ more than of TJ, really. (And I'd lean more towards ISTJ than ISFJ.)

No idea about the ex-husband either, except he does have that ITP-flavored deadpan monotone. (TJs can be monotone too, but TPs react more to the immediate/direct environment.)

**Just once, I want her to do a walk through where the biggest problem is a ghost stealing marbles for the kids' board games or something, saying things like, "They're essentially harmless. They're playing Parcheesi. I like this place." My primary gripe with the show is that it's hard to believe- *if* there are really ghosts, that the majority of them are as malevolent as she describes. That, and the general production of the show is a little too sensationalistic for my tastes- with the dramatic music and camera shots and whatnot. Yet I still find myself watching a couple episodes every couple of days, so I'm clearly entertained enough to keep coming back.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's her ex-husband? That's impressive, they get along very well. Yeah, I don't see him as guiding anything either. If anything I think he asks pretty good clarifying questions about what she's experiencing. He elicits specific details (e.g. "Can you tell what he did for a living?" "How does he want to hurt people?") that lend credence to her 'abilities'. Any snake oil salesman can walk through an allegedly haunted place saying, "I think he's evil. I don't like it here. I think he wants to hurt people."** That guy puts forth handy nudges to be more specific.

As far as her type- INFJ wouldn't entirely surprise me. I'd be more inclined to think ENFJ if she's an NFJ, just because it seems like her default is to be really expressive (emphatic facial expressions and tone). I think generally INFJs are more controlled than that- we only become animated around people we've established a certain comfort level with. Although she's more subdued/calm in clips that I'd guess were shot afterward and inserted back into her 'walk' in order to clarify things, so I don't know. All I can estimate about her though is 'F'- pretty sure she's a Feeler.

Investigator guy: yeah, ISFJ is feasible to me too. I guess I'd say he smacks of ISJ more than of TJ, really. (And I'd lean more towards ISTJ than ISFJ.)

No idea about the ex-husband either, except he does have that ITP-flavored deadpan monotone. (TJs can be monotone too, but TPs react more to the immediate/direct environment.)

**Just once, I want her to do a walk through where the biggest problem is a ghost stealing marbles for the kids' board games or something, saying things like, "They're essentially harmless. They're playing Parcheesi. I like this place." My primary gripe with the show is that it's hard to believe- *if* there are really ghosts, that the majority of them are as malevolent as she describes. That, and the general production of the show is a little too sensationalistic for my tastes- with the dramatic music and camera shots and whatnot. Yet I still find myself watching a couple episodes every couple of days, so I'm clearly entertained enough to keep coming back.

In the show's defense (and I'm watching as I type this), people call for help because they feel threatened by something they don't understand. But the cause isn't always a threat. In tonight's episode, the "mummies" that are trying to gain their young son's attention are scary, but they just want help. I guess it's not their fault that they look hideous, and people aren't likely to understand their methods of drawing attention to them.

At the same time, there was a sociopathic presence in the household that did intend to do harm. And it's true that every episode has at least one harmful presence to deal with. Amy also said something surprising tonight: she said that living sociopaths are not human.

As for the detective's type, the reason I think ISFJ is that he is so sympathetic to the victims and talks a lot about helping them. But that's possibly stereotyping. It's not as if an ISTJ couldn't say the same things or have the same sympathetic expression. And his fact-gathering to solve a case is more of an ISTJ trait. I think he's just another case of someone who is not "a type."

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the show's defense (and I'm watching as I type this), people call for help because they feel threatened by something they don't understand. But the cause isn't always a threat. In tonight's episode, the "mummies" that are trying to gain their young son's attention are scary, but they just want help. I guess it's not their fault that they look hideous, and people aren't likely to understand their methods of drawing attention to them.

That's a good point. They probably only go to the most serious of the situations they get called about.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Since Mr. investigator is more emotionally expressive than your typical ISTJ, I'm going with ISFJ for his type.