• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spoilers

Lark

What is your view of so called "spoilers"? What constitutes a spoiler? When did you first hear of the term being used and what do you feel about it?

Do plot details or fore knowledge of a story mean there is no point in reading, watching etc. a story?

What if it is an adaptation of a story you know already? Would you simply not bother seeing the film or TV show? Why or why not?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is actually a very timely thread, since we live in this NO SPOILERS age. I personally prefer not to be spoiled on plot twists, but if a story is any good, it has enjoyable elements beyond its twists. I don't think it's the end of the world to be spoiled, I find people flipping out like idiots over spoilers more annoying.

The Game of Thrones tv series comes up a lot (since the books have been out for so long), but I really don't mind knowing what's going to happen next. I quite enjoy watching the show with my dad (though I don't spoil it for him), even AFTER reading the books and watching all the episodes beforehand.

It definitely depends on what kind of story is being spoiled. I knew how Romeo and Juliet was going to end, I knew Anne Frank wasn't going to live happily ever after, and I knew Darth Vader was Luke's Father. But I still enjoyed the stories. However, if someone spoiled a book like "Gone Girl" for me, I never would have bothered reading it, because I basically only enjoyed it for its twisty, turny story.

93JC

93JC

Hey, who moved this thread? This is clearly a matter of political and historical significance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is actually a very timely thread, since we live in this NO SPOILERS age. I personally prefer not to be spoiled on plot twists, but if a story is any good, it has enjoyable elements beyond its twists. I don't think it's the end of the world to be spoiled, I find people flipping out like idiots over spoilers more annoying.

The Game of Thrones tv series comes up a lot (since the books have been out for so long), but I really don't mind knowing what's going to happen next. I quite enjoy watching the show with my dad (though I don't spoil it for him), even AFTER reading the books and watching all the episodes beforehand.

It definitely depends on what kind of story is being spoiled. I knew how Romeo and Juliet was going to end, I knew Anne Frank wasn't going to live happily ever after, and I knew Darth Vader was Luke's Father. But I still enjoyed the stories. However, if someone spoiled a book like "Gone Girl" for me, I never would have bothered reading it, because I basically only enjoyed it for its twisty, turny story.

It depends on the story for me and the specifics, but generally I prefer no spoilers. Being surprised is one of my favorite parts of experiencing art (whether fiction or cinema). Some stories don't really have spoilers. (For example, I watched "The Last Samurai" today and enjoyed it even though I knew where the story was going both because I've seen it before and because I know the "general meme" for that story. However, if you're watching The Sixth Sense, it's better to not know the spoilers.)

I worked very hard not to run across spoilers for Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones because a huge part of the interest in those stories is not knowing how it will turn out. But House of Cards? I already have a decent sense of where the story is going, so not as big a deal (although i appreciated not knowing a few notable twists ahead of time.)

I think sometimes a "spoiler style" movie can be really enjoyable if it's constructed to be such, even after you know the spoilers -- you can just enjoy the other elements of the movie on future viewings. Movies that are ALL about the spoiler don't have as much longevity. But for example I can still watch Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and still very much appreciate it even if I know the major plot points... because the writing and the characters are interesting.

some stories also employ the "non-intuitive" spoiler -- they give away the ending of the movie up front, but then the interest comes in how the story got from Point A to Point B, with perhaps a few NEW spoilers in the body of the plot.

I ran across the term "spoilers" online, btw... the proliferation of social media quickly gave rise to the term since you now have a lot of people posting commentary about film and literature online, giving rise even to special BBCODEs (spoiler) to hide information.

Hey, who moved this thread? This is clearly a matter of political and historical significance.

Cygnus

I don't give a shit.

I've long sinced passed the Information Novelty Event Horizon. The order in which I learn something can't spoil an experience for me. It just is what it is.

BluRoses

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Every time I hear or read the word, "Spoilers," it makes me think of River Song from Dr Who.

So, with that in mind, please do not tell me spoilers to books, movies, shows. If you do not tell me spoilers than I will say,

"Hello, Sweetie!" to you.