• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
With that said, I also think Michael Bay is highly underrated.

I'm pretty sure he has my worst director average on Criticker:

Michael Bay
Biography: No information [Submit a Biography]
Total Films at Criticker: 7 - You've Seen 4
Your Average Rating: 22.75

Films you've ranked... As Director (4)

Bad Boys (1995) - 33

Armageddon (1998) - 28

The Rock (1996) - 24
Probably the most overrated film ever made. If you can get past the terrible acting, script and plot, you'll be staring at the back of your TV.

Pearl Harbor (2001) - 6

/100

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Bad Boys was a decent popcorn flick, but would have been totally forgettable if it hadn't been for the fact that it was one of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence first major cinematic hits.

You're right. It shouldn't be only 5 more points than Armageddon.

I'll lower Armageddon's score.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Transformers

Hampered by weak character development and pithy sexual undertones; also Shia LaBeouf.
On par with Pirates.

Of particular stank was the hide-and-seek scene. Vomitus.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Okay, so 10,000 B.C. wasn't that good. I liked The Day After Tomorrow and Independence Day, and Stargate...and even Godzilla, to a certain extent.

With that said, I also think Michael Bay is highly underrated.

And the main reason people hate Tim Burton (I'm not one of them) is because he partially inspired the Hot Topic culture.

The Patriot was pretty bad, too. Stargate and Independence Day were good, but the rest of them were pretty brutal. He probably does the least with the most (high budgets and A- and B-list stars) of anyone in Hollywood currently. He's certainly more annoying than somebody like Brian Robbins or Tom Shadyac, who make stupid comedies with one or two big stars but aren't trying to do anything bigger than that.

Michael Bay is not that great, but I enjoyed Bad Boys, The Rock, and Transformers. Bruckheimer gets ragged on a lot, but he has produced some good stuff (and Don Simpson was a wild man; I always say, "When I get out to Hollywood, I want to make Don Simpson look like ASHLEE Simpson!").

P.S. I actually make reference to Tim Burton's influence and Hot Topic culture in my screenplay (as yet unfinished).

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Heat
The Killing Fields (Roland Joffe should be destroyed)
Seabiscuit
V For Vendetta
Departed, The (the original is so much better)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Heat
A History of Violence
The Killing Fields (Roland Joffe should be destroyed)
Seabiscuit
Tokyo Story
Dogville
Faces
Serenity
Departed, The (the original is so much better)
V for Vendetta
Most of Scorsese that I've seen

Yeah I'm opinionated.

Are these movies that truly suck, or are overrated/disappointing to you? Because I have to take some issues with a few of those.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Are these movies that truly suck, or are overrated/disappointing to you? Because I have to take some issues with a few of those.

I had just thought of that before I reentered the thread.

You're right. Most of them are likely personally jarring. I'll edit most out.

If you liked Tokyo Story, I recommend Tree of Wooden Clogs. I thought it was a better lives lived movie. I think it's also Al Pacino's favourite film (surprisingly).

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Duke Igthorn
Daniel Craig
Larry The Cable Guy
Jack Nicholson, post 1985
Strange INTJ obsession with Hannibal Lector
Robert Mugabe
Rachael Ray
Theodore, from Alvin and The Chipmunks
Evanescence

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I had just thought of that before I reentered the thread.

You're right. Most of them are likely personally jarring. I'll edit most out.

If you liked Tokyo Story, I recommend Tree of Wooden Clogs. I thought it was a better lives lived movie. I think it's also Al Pacino's favourite film (surprisingly).

I actually found Tokyo Story beautiful, but a little underwhelming. I am more of a Mizoguchi man than an Ozu man.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I actually found Tokyo Story beautiful, but a little underwhelming. I am more of a Mizoguchi man than an Ozu man.

I haven't seen any of Mizoguchi's films (there's still time:D), nor much at all of vintage Japanese cinema. Sansho the Bailiff has a crazy high PSI and sounds a fine premise. I'll have a look on veoh for some of his films or buy Sansho after City Lights. Ta, PM.

paulofilmo's Film Rankings at Criticker

Sorry about Rashomon. Bad mood, I guess.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I haven't seen any of Mizoguchi's films (there's still time:D), nor much at all of vintage Japanese cinema. Sansho the Bailiff has a crazy high PSI and sounds a fine premise. I'll have a look on veoh for some of his films or buy Sansho after City Lights. Ta, PM.

paulofilmo's Film Rankings at Criticker

Sorry about Rashomon. Bad mood, I guess.

I like Ugetsu just slightly more than Sansho the Bailiff, but they are both stone-cold classics.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure he has my worst director average on Criticker:

Michael Bay
Biography: No information [Submit a Biography]
Total Films at Criticker: 7 - You've Seen 4
Your Average Rating: 22.75

Films you've ranked... As Director (4)

Bad Boys (1995) - 33

Armageddon (1998) - 28

The Rock (1996) - 24
Probably the most overrated film ever made. If you can get past the terrible acting, script and plot, you'll be staring at the back of your TV.

Pearl Harbor (2001) - 6

/100

Well, I'll give you Pearl Harbor, although you can't deny that the effects in that film were absolutely amazing.

I enjoyed both Bad Boys films, Bad Boys 2 even more because it was just so gratuitously violent, and it had the kind of stuff I always dreamed of seeing in an action flick.

I enjoyed Armageddon because it was entertaining, although it shouldn't have taken itself so seriously with the whole love story. It was, overall, exactly what one should expect from a summer popcorn flick and then some.

But Bay's best films were the ones he made with Dreamworks, such as The Island and Transformers, both of which were well above-average. Curiously, however, those two films had a bit more of a Spielberg tone to them, seeing how he was the executive producer for them.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End were both highly overrated, but for some reason, I loved Dead Man's Chest, it must have been because of all the stunning technical innovations and imaginative creature designs.

As far as the innovative water simulations in At World's End, I would have to say that the best digital water simulations of that year were included in Evan Almighty.

Let's see, what else?

The movie Crash is ridiculously overrated. I couldn't even sit through it.

I Am Legend is another overrated film that took itself way too seriously. It should have been a comedy (whereas I, Robot should have been more serious).

In terms of video games:

The Halo and Gears of War franchise are both highly overrated. Haven't played Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed but I'm sure they're equally overrated.

And despite being a big fan of the series as a whole, Grand Theft Auto IV was extremely overrated. I enjoyed the game, but it's hardly the 10/10 perfect score that Gamespot gave it. I gave it an 8.5/10, and stated how I thought Saints Row was a far more inventive game.

Multiplayer gameplay is also very overrated, and personally, I find it boring.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also wish to defend the honor of Citizen Kane. I think it's one of those movies that's every bit as good as its reputation proclaims it to be. Admittedly, not everyone likes the same thing. Part of what makes it a great movie is the fact that Welles did some groundbreaking camera angles and directing choices that changed cinema thereafter. I watched a movie called RKO 281, about Welles and how he made that movie, and then immediately afterward attended a showing of CK on the big screen in NYC. (I think it was an HBO-made thing, with Liev Scrieber.) First of all, it's a completely different movie when you see it as it's meant to be seen. It completely envelops you, because of the mood he creates right from the beginning. But having some insight into the things that he did that no one else had done before him, and the things he had to fight to do to even get the movie made? It really tranforms the experience. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it doesn't suck.

Exactly--the Beatles' influence has so completely saturated everything that came after it that it's nearly impossible for those of us that didn't live through that era to realize just how new and groundbreaking they were when they came out. I love early Beatles stuff especially because they had that raw, live, frenzied sound, instead of the careful-sounding stuff that usually came out of studio recordings. I love John/Paul's harmonies, and I love the deceptively simple lyrics over complex chord structures.

I freaking love To Kill a Mockingbird. I think it's one of the best books ever written--I marvel at the craft of that book, and it's one of the few books that have ever moved me to tears.

Hi. Will you marry me?

Atomic Fiend

In terms of video games:

The Halo and Gears of War franchise are both highly overrated. Haven't played Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed but I'm sure they're equally overrated.
I agree for the most part, Mass Effect could be longer, same goes for most Bioware games, and Assassin's Creed wasn't all that special after playing for an hour or two.

I don't think any of those games suck however, though yes do recieve more praise then they deserve.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If we judged all artists and thinkers by their personal lives there wouldn't be much work left to be admired.

John Lennon is not my hero or my role model, so I can dislike him as much as I want. There are human foibles that accompany everyone, but I found him very pretentious, preachy and intractable for a guy who had very few and shifting views on life. Not admirable.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
John Lennon is not my hero or my role model, so I can dislike him as much as I want. There are human foibles that accompany everyone, but I found him very pretentious, preachy and intractable for a guy who had very few and shifting views on life. Not admirable.

John Lennon was a self-righteous douchebag.

Less preaching, more reading. Many of his political attacks lacked merit.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
John Lennon was a self-righteous douchebag.

Less preaching, more reading. Many of his political attacks lacked merit.

I don't think I could possibly love you more than I do right now.