• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

heart

heart on fire
I loathe the song: Pina Colada.

It's such a lame premise. Two people write the lamest personal ads ever and find out they can't trust each other and we're supposed to get all gooey about that?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

It's such a lame premise. Two people write the lamest personal ads ever and find out they can't trust each other and we're supposed to get all gooey about that?

Ah, "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes. I actually like that song, but the plotline, if you will, is totally silly.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

Hee, yeah, it's nostalgic for me, but I even as a kid I knew something was screwed up about the premise. It can best be summed up in this MST3K clip:

YouTube - The Piña Colada Song

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoever said Green Day, good pick. :nice:
Also throw in Weezer.

Whoever said 1984... I understand how the book is over-rated, because a lot of people do practically worship Orwell for it, but... It is still probably one of the best books I've ever read.

And for the Beatles, yeah I love them, and they are among my favorite bands. Birthday was pretty inexplicable, but I've actually got to attack a bigger song of theirs.

Hey Jude. For the most part, the song is mediocre(in a very Paul McCartney way), but what really kills me is just how much time they spend on the "na, na, na-na na naaaaaaa, heeey Jude" part at the end. They could have shortened the song, or come with more material, but they settled on that, and it drives me crazy.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ferris Bueller's day off

I just saw it again the other day, and thought it was/is a great film.

youreawesome.gif
Right back at ya!

:smooch:

I like Forrest Gump a lot. I just think it's a sweet fairy tale with a moral. And the moral is that contrary to the current conventional wisdom, the noblest expression of humanity is not intelligence, but love.
I loved Forrest Gump and I will defend its goodness 'til the day I die!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't like stand-up comics who seem to completely rely on angry politics for their jokes. That seemed to be George Carlin's gimmick towards the end. I also think Al Franken and Janeane Garafolo and Lewis Black suck for the same reason.

Yeah if only they would talk about relationships, work, drugs....like every comic in the world.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
And for the Beatles, yeah I love them, and they are among my favorite bands. Birthday was pretty inexplicable, but I've actually got to attack a bigger song of theirs.

Hey Jude. For the most part, the song is mediocre(in a very Paul McCartney way), but what really kills me is just how much time they spend on the "na, na, na-na na naaaaaaa, heeey Jude" part at the end. They could have shortened the song, or come with more material, but they settled on that, and it drives me crazy.

Yeah, "Hey Jude" is pretty long and overwrought. They have some real clunkers: "Mr. Moonlight," "Yellow Submarine," "Wild Honey Pie," etc.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Bring it On
Keanu Reeves
Kirsten Dunst
Jesus Christ Superstar
Death Note, in any incarnation
For that matter, Naruto
Friends
Christian Siriano

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
2000s R.E.M. is pretty brutal, although there were one or two very good songs on the newest album.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay....

Julia Roberts: I don't understand how she's even considered attractive, let alone one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood... particularly post-Pretty Woman, she looks like someone stretched her skin too tightly over her skull and the points at the corners of her lips and the tip of her nose could be used to skewer kebaabs.

+1 Crash: mediocre at best... Swordfish was better.

Katherine Hepburn: something about her vibe, the way she spoke, the coldness of her features... she couldn't hold a candle to the inimitably charming Audrey.

Humphrey Bogart: I can't stand him... he looks like a narcoleptic and his delivery was always the same... just couldn't get on the Bogart bandwagon. In fact, he and Catherine Hepburn both suck balls.

Gone with the Wind (cinematic version): Just terrible... I'd read the book and when I saw what Clark Gable had done with Rhett Butler I couldn't finish the movie after watching it halfway... I'm not going to go into why I despise it so much, since I'm already a hater of The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music... I'll take Citizen Kane over those three films any day.

American yoga studios: They reduce Yoga to a set of exercises (aasanas), divorce it from its culture, and then call themselves yogins (which they're not). It's like what happened with various Chinese martial arts a few decades ago... and the spandex suits and stupid tinkling 'meditation' music are absolutely unforgivable... please, please, please, GOD stop wearing the spandex AND don't fool yourself into thinking you can reach true inner focus by listening to Yanni... people have been doing aasanas/hatha yoga (what they're doing is NOT Yoga and they shouldn't be calling it that) for years without having to wear spandex. The worst part about it all is that most "certified Yoga instructors" (certified? by what board? with what authority?) don't know what the fuck they're talking about or they've learned a little and deliver whatever knowledge they have with the pseudo-expertise that's derived from New Age philosophies which explore lots of areas with little depth. So I can understand why so many people in America think of Yoga and think lame. It's been rendered lame by (most of) its American purveyors.

The British "Royal" Families: the current family is heir to a legacy which has caused more havoc and misery around the world than perhaps even the Nazis... over centuries they enslaved, stole, brainwashed, and even after being kicked out of various former colonies or forced to leave due to encroaching penury, the Brits and the royal families left disaster in their wake... many of the world's major conflicts can be traced to their terrible handling of various political situations which they'd forcibly taken control of earlier... they are at least partly to blame for what's going on in Israel-Palestine, India-Kashmir-Pakistan, and many of the African conflicts. Also, relegated to figurehead status, the royal family now serves as England's favorite pet, an overweight and severely overvalued welsh corgi, if you will, that drains taxpayers' money and lives a lavish life without doing anything... if the British people are happy with the arrangement, well, good for them... but it doesn't change the fact that the British royal families suck. (I include them because nowadays they're more tabloid fodder than political heads)

Everybody Loves Raymond: NOT funny... lame jokes with lame actors and lame delivery and everything about that serial was totally predictable... Archie Bunker was a far better grouch than Raymond's dad, and Raymond's brother was Eeyore written for adults who think like children... the conflicts were sometimes non-conflicts, and Raymond was not funny... I'm sure his stand-up was far better....

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
SDM-- I'm not big on all of Katharine Hepburn's stuff (she went through a period in the 50s where all she did was play old maids), but have you seen The Philadephia Story? Or The Lion in Winter? In the right thing, she can be wonderful. She and Audrey are unrelated--just happen to share the same last name.

The cinematic version of GWTW, I can take or leave, but mostly leave. I don't identify with or care about a single person in that movie, and it's not a great example of directing or writing brilliance, either. Most people I know cried at some point during GWTW, which blows my mind. It just never moved me. If Scarlett had been more than a self-involved witch, or Melanie had been more than a stereotypical priss, etc., etc., maybe I'd have cared? Not to mention Ashley was milquetoast and Rhett was way too old to be the hot, dangerous guy. I like older men, but not Gable.

MBTI Type
ENTP
SDM-- I'm not big on all of Katharine Hepburn's stuff (she went through a period in the 50s where all she did was play old maids), but have you seen The Philadephia Story? Or The Lion in Winter? In the right thing, she can be wonderful. She and Audrey are unrelated--just happen to share the same last name.

The cinematic version of GWTW, I can take or leave, but mostly leave. I don't identify with or care about a single person in that movie, and it's not a great example of directing or writing brilliance, either. Most people I know cried at some point during GWTW, which blows my mind. It just never moved me. If Scarlett had been more than a self-involved witch, or Melanie had been more than a stereotypical priss, etc., etc., maybe I'd have cared? Not to mention Ashley was milquetoast and Rhett was way too old to be the hot, dangerous guy. I like older men, but not Gable.

I'll take a look at Philadelphia Story and and The Lion in Winter... I want to be a good sport... as for the Hepburn non-relation, I could claim that I never assumed their sister- or cousinhood but... yeah... I thought they were related... :blush: What are the odds with a name like Hepburn!

Even in the book (GWTW) Scarlett was totally annoying... but in the book, I didn't identify with Scarlett at all, even though she was the putative protagonist... Rhett Butler was the one who caught my imagination... the book's better... only with A Clockwork Orange and Jurassic Park (there are a few others) were the film adaptations comparable to the counterpart novels...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
and hip-hop ?

not taking offense, just trying to clarify

I've never figured-out where the line is drawn. If anyone can tell me exactly what defines hip-hop, I'll be able to say exactly what I feel about it.

I do have general enough knowledge to say that I've never intentionally listened to it.

Last edited by a moderator: