• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm actually capable of recognizing that someone I dislike might still be popular and wanted. It surprises me how many people aren't.

What are you saying? Put it less passive aggressively.
Popularity does not mean non-suckage, as this thread makes clear. or Britney.
Then again, he does sell shows, so maybe he doesn't have to pay Comedy Central. much. :eek:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Admining is hard work! I can't be bothered to read every post! :D

Oh, here's another one who may have been mentioned already but I'm not planning to find out: Thomas Kinkaid, the Painter of Dreck.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, here's another one who may have been mentioned already but I'm not planning to find out: Thomas Kinkaid, the Painter of Dreck.

How could this thread have possibly gotten to Page 14 with no mention of him? Inconceivable!

Oh, and I totally forgot The Big Lebowski. Yeah, yeah, I know. You're all wrong :D

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lebowski is overrated. I blame it partly on the college wannabe stoner contingent.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are you saying? Put it less passive aggressively.
Popularity does not mean non-suckage, as this thread makes clear. or Britney.
Then again, he does sell shows, so maybe he doesn't have to pay Comedy Central. much.

I'm not saying that popularity amounts to quality. I am just saying that he doesn't need to pay anyone. People pay him. He is in demand. I just notice a striking tendency for people to come up with conspiracy theories to explain the popularity of things they don't like.

Anyway...

How about video-games?
Halo and Grand Theft Auto.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not saying that popularity amounts to quality. I am just saying that he doesn't need to pay anyone. People pay him. He is in demand. I just notice a striking tendency for people to come up with conspiracy theories to explain the popularity of things they don't like..
I noticed a striking tendency for you to take everything at face value. Lighten up, kid. I was just ripping on the dude. I assure you others share your speshul skills of perception with regard to things they don't like. ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I wonder what it says that people are way more excited to share what they hate than what they love? Probably just that it's a lot more fun :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder what it says that people are way more excited to share what they hate than what they love? Probably just that it's a lot more fun :)

Actually, I propose that saying what you love creates a much large sense of vulnerability. It's like telling everyone exactly where to strike.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I truthfully do not know why everyone liked The Dark Knight so much.

It just seemed that people flocked together because of Heath Ledger, who hasn't even been in that many memorable movies.

The movie itself wasn't even that good.

I liked Batman & Robin better.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You preferred George Clooney? :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It just seemed that people flocked together because of Heath Ledger, who hasn't even been in that many memorable movies.

Well, it's all subjective.

You have unbelievably bad taste.

MBTI Type
INTJ

I think it's just a matter of what different people value in a film. You've consistently demonstrated that production values and visual effects are the primary means by which you judge a film. In that case, Batman and Robin would be a natural choice over The Dark Knight, because it was visually showier. I think the people that prefer The Dark Knight value storytelling, subtext and a restrained but well-defined visual style. I think it's unfair to the film to tie its popularity to the Heath Ledger situation, although I agree that his untimely death has caused people to view his body of work through rose-colored glasses.

sassafrassquatch

Oh, and I totally forgot The Big Lebowski. Yeah, yeah, I know. You're all wrong :D

Lebowski is overrated. I blame it partly on the college wannabe stoner contingent.

freakout.gif

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who slam Spielberg obviously don't understand movies. The guy is one of the most efficient directors in Hollywood. And for a mainstream film director, he is far less obsessed with special effects than pretty much every other director.

I believe Minority Report was the film of his that had the highest special effects count -- only a little over 400 -- although maybe Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had around 500, which is still a small amount by today's 1,000-shots-and-beyond standards.

Jurassic Park had a little less than 60 effects shots, which was a small amount even for that time.

The way the guy manages action sequences is ingenious once you educate yourself about the actual process of making movies.

Anyway, what else sucks?

Pan's Labyrinth was extremely overrated. (Although it would have probably been slightly better if it was in English.)

I also don't get what people saw in any of The Matrix movies. It was basically TRON for the MTV generation.

The movie 300 was also totally overrated. The only reason people liked it was Gerard Butler's sex appeal. The technique of creating it wasn't even innovative, yet people are dumb enough to believe it was.

The Lord of the Rings films are also overrated.

I think it's just a matter of what different people value in a film. You've consistently demonstrated that production values and visual effects are the primary means by which you judge a film. In that case, Batman and Robin would be a natural choice over The Dark Knight, because it was visually showier. I think the people that prefer The Dark Knight value storytelling, subtext and a restrained but well-defined visual style. I think it's unfair to the film to tie its popularity to the Heath Ledger situation, although I agree that his untimely death has caused people to view his body of work through rose-colored glasses.

The Dark Knight is merely the new Titanic. Everyone loves it now, but in a few years, no one is going to care. Look at Titanic, everyone thought of how great it was when it first came out and now practically everyone hates it. (Although, personally, I thought Titanic was a well-made movie.)

And The Dark Knight had a story that was probably even more ridiculous than Batman & Robin.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Agreed. I like that movie; it's pretty funny. It's also too long and like 8th- or 9th-best in the Coen Bros. filmography (I am a big fan of theirs). I think part of the appeal is the sheer quotability. It doesn't make it a tremendous cinematic achievement, though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Overrated: Pablo Neruda

Way Overrated (due to historical value): The Diary of Anne Frank

Overrated (due to English teachers not getting laid): all Edith Wharton

Just Plain Sucks: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
William Carlos Williams' "Red Wheelbarrow"

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Worse: James Joyce's self-indulgence.

I rather enjoyed Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Dubliners. I guess I will read Ulysses at some point. Finnegans Wake? I don't think so. Even the bars named after it are ponderous and hateful.

Natty Bumppo, you are a loser.

Nobody really thinks James Fenimore Cooper was good, do they?