User Tag List

First 29373839404149 Last

Results 381 to 390 of 540

Thread: Who sucks?

  1. #381
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Yes, but she's still selling out shows.

    What is the appeal, not what was the appeal?
    Oh, that's a better question. I guess because her fans are very hardcore, and her tours are big deals for them (even if the new music isn't that great, the production values are amazing). She still turns out a good single every now and then. It's really surprising how many great songs she had in the '90s. You don't really get un-famous after being as big as she was 20 years ago. I will always defend Madonna, though, because she is one of the few stars who was both a global phenomenon AND a great artist for a long time.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #382

  3. #383
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Madonna lives quite close to me. Not that this stops her sucking. Hey, it might increase her suckiness. Just sayin'.

  4. #384
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I don't get the appeal of Madonna, either. I mean, I guess I get why certain personalities would dig the idea of a woman who's all about pushing the envelope, but I don't get why anyone would want to buy her cds. But then, I don't care for dance music, which by and large, sucks.

    Geoff, I don't think you're causing Madonna's suckitude, but if you don't get out fast, hers might rub off on you.

  5. #385
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Moved some posts to a new thread.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  6. #386
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Oh, that's a better question. I guess because her fans are very hardcore, and her tours are big deals for them (even if the new music isn't that great, the production values are amazing). She still turns out a good single every now and then. It's really surprising how many great songs she had in the '90s. You don't really get un-famous after being as big as she was 20 years ago. I will always defend Madonna, though, because she is one of the few stars who was both a global phenomenon AND a great artist for a long time.
    She doesn't write the music, she doesn't direct the videos, her voice is nothing special, does she even write her own lyrics?

    Seems to me that as far as art goes, she just buys it from other people and puts it all under her name, like many pop artists do.

  7. #387
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    She doesn't write the music, she doesn't direct the videos, her voice is nothing special, does she even write her own lyrics?

    Seems to me that as far as art goes, she just buys it from other people and puts it all under her name, like many pop artists do.
    She writes the lyrics with writing partners (she and Patrick Leonard worked together on many of her biggest songs). She also is involved in the concepts and set designs of her videos, photos, and concerts. I actually find her voice (starting around True Blue, when she stopped with the baby-voice stuff) to be quite nice. She's also a fantastic dancer.

    You seem to be under the impression that the most important things when it comes to music is that one person or a tight-knit group spends lots of time slaving over it and then playing it in front of crowds of people, and that other vehicles of expression aren't as valid. I wholeheartedly disagree. Look at Motown. That music literally was made in a factory, with songwriters producing lyrics and/or melodies, then a house band working on the music, and then the best singer available brought in to sing the song. That music also happens to be almost all spectacular. Madonna was one of the first female artists to exercise control over both her music and her image, so I think she should be celebrated for that, but, in the end, it's the sounds coming out of the speakers that matter, NOT the manner in which it go there.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #388
    Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    GEORGE MICHAEL.

    I'm pretty sure ever horrible number one hit he's had has been scrolling tortuously through my head for the last three days.

  9. #389
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    She writes the lyrics with writing partners (she and Patrick Leonard worked together on many of her biggest songs). She also is involved in the concepts and set designs of her videos, photos, and concerts. I actually find her voice (starting around True Blue, when she stopped with the baby-voice stuff) to be quite nice. She's also a fantastic dancer.

    You seem to be under the impression that the most important things when it comes to music is that one person or a tight-knit group spends lots of time slaving over it and then playing it in front of crowds of people, and that other vehicles of expression aren't as valid. I wholeheartedly disagree. Look at Motown. That music literally was made in a factory, with songwriters producing lyrics and/or melodies, then a house band working on the music, and then the best singer available brought in to sing the song. That music also happens to be almost all spectacular. Madonna was one of the first female artists to exercise control over both her music and her image, so I think she should be celebrated for that, but, in the end, it's the sounds coming out of the speakers that matter, NOT the manner in which it go there.
    There's nothing wrong with large groups of people being involved in the writing process, but if someone doesn't write the music and doesn't even write all of her own lyrics, that person isn't as much of an artist as one that does write their own music and lyrics.

    A lot of her fame is from just being sexy on camera. Image over music and substance...that's what's killing music.

  10. #390
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There's nothing wrong with large groups of people being involved in the writing process, but if someone doesn't write the music and doesn't even write all of her own lyrics, that person isn't as much of an artist as one that does write their own music and lyrics.

    A lot of her fame is from just being sexy on camera. Image over music and substance...that's what's killing music.
    But her music in the '80s and early-'90s was GREAT. That is what matters.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Girl Who Got Her Toes Sucked by Quentin Tarantino
    By Stansmith in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Why N can suck, who else is neurotic?
    By Billy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
  3. Are there any Ns who really suck at interpreting literature or poetry?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
  4. The Language of Politics (moved from who sucks?)
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
  5. Who, me?
    By helium in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO