User Tag List

First 25333435363745 Last

Results 341 to 350 of 540

Thread: Who sucks?

  1. #341
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I hate the Cadillac commercials with the fury of a thousand firey suns. Listening to a bunch of smug pretty people making pretentious lists of all the things they love while driving a boat anchor of a car. Yeah, never mind about that struggling economy thing, and all of those people losing their homes and unable to get health care. Let's talk about our rich tastes and how special it makes us sound.
    To be fair, a Cadillac isn't exactly a McLaren F1, but I understand your sentiment. Why would an attractive 30-something chick boast about buying an overpriced old-man car, anyway? "I just moved to Florida, and I got a big-ass boat of a car with a V8. Time to drive it 22 in a 35 zone!"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #342
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Caddie is trying to youth it up, I guess.

    My first car was a gold 1977 Oldsmobile 98 which may be the only car more old-man than a Caddie, but I rocked it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  3. #343
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Caddie is trying to youth it up, I guess.

    My first car was a gold 1977 Oldsmobile 98 which may be the only car more old-man than a Caddie, but I rocked it.
    I had a white Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight, circa 1989. It died on the way to my job at the country club one day.

    BTW, remember the Aurora? In the mid-'90s, Oldsmobile tried to respond to Lexus/Acura/Infiniti with a luxury sedan. It was basically a Buick Riviera with slightly sportier styling and more options. That was a hilarious car.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #344
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I had a white Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight, circa 1989. It died on the way to my job at the country club one day.

    BTW, remember the Aurora? In the mid-'90s, Oldsmobile tried to respond to Lexus/Acura/Infiniti with a luxury sedan. It was basically a Buick Riviera with slightly sportier styling and more options. That was a hilarious car.
    YES! What a silly idea. C'mon, you're Oldsmobile/Cadillac. Just embrace your old-manitude, right?

    Did your Olds have an 8-track player? Mine did. Granddaddy spared no expense!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  5. #345
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    YES! What a silly idea. C'mon, you're Oldsmobile/Cadillac. Just embrace your old-manitude, right?

    Did your Olds have an 8-track player? Mine did. Granddaddy spared no expense!
    AM/FM cassette, IIRC.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #346
    Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    To be fair, a Cadillac isn't exactly a McLaren F1, but I understand your sentiment. Why would an attractive 30-something chick boast about buying an overpriced old-man car, anyway? "I just moved to Florida, and I got a big-ass boat of a car with a V8. Time to drive it 22 in a 35 zone!"
    My issue isn't with the actual machinery. It's with the incredibly vapid angle the company is taking in order to sell their cars. It's as if none of the people who wrote the commercials live on planet Earth with the rest of us. We're at a crisis point in so many areas globally, and to attempt to validate the "me me me" behavior is, I feel, morally wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Caddie is trying to youth it up, I guess.

    My first car was a gold 1977 Oldsmobile 98 which may be the only car more old-man than a Caddie, but I rocked it.
    That's exactly it. They're trying to appeal to a new generation of monied consumers. But most of us don't have the plonk for a GTS Cadillac, so the few remaining folks that do have the money to spare, the company is attempting to stroke their egos by saying, " You're the Man! It's all about looking hot! You wanna look a million times cooler than everyone else in your law firm?! Buy this car!"

  7. #347
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    My issue isn't with the actual machinery. It's with the incredibly vapid angle the company is taking in order to sell their cars. It's as if none of the people who wrote the commercials live on planet Earth with the rest of us. We're at a crisis point in so many areas globally, and to attempt to validate the "me me me" behavior is, I feel, morally wrong.



    That's exactly it. They're trying to appeal to a new generation of monied consumers. But most of us don't have the plonk for a GTS Cadillac, so the few remaining folks that do have the money to spare, the company is attempting to stroke their egos by saying, " You're the Man! It's all about looking hot! You wanna look a million times cooler than everyone else in your law firm?! Buy this car!"
    This is interesting enough to be in a whole new thread... most of the people in advertising I've met (and I know some people in executive roles in the creative aspects) are very level-headed, practical, and intelligent people. It actually makes sense that the people least likely to buy into the images created by ad companies are those who created the images...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  8. #348
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    My issue isn't with the actual machinery. It's with the incredibly vapid angle the company is taking in order to sell their cars. It's as if none of the people who wrote the commercials live on planet Earth with the rest of us. We're at a crisis point in so many areas globally, and to attempt to validate the "me me me" behavior is, I feel, morally wrong.
    But the ignorant ALWAYS buy things based on image and social status. Do you think that advertising "Our new Oldsmobile generates 15% more torque with its long-stroke engine" appeals to people? Of course not. They want the brand new, exotic car they saw their richer, more happenin' neighbor bought, or the one in that movie. How else can you explain adults spending $20,000 on a purple PT Cruiser? It's not ad people's faults. It's their job not just to provide information to potential customers; they need to CREATE customers out of people who didn't give a crap before.

    And this will be contested, but whatever, it's true: "me me me" behavior is usually better than "we we we" behavior. I'd rather have a society of solipsistic twits out to score a fast buck to get that butt-ugly purple PT Cruiser than a society full of people who are ready, willing, and able to decide for me (or for any other individual with half a brain) what is important and what we may or may not have. In the original vein of this thread, that kind of world SUCKS.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    a society full of people who are ready, willing, and able to decide for me (or for any other individual with half a brain) what is important and what we may or may not have. In the original vein of this thread, that kind of world SUCKS.
    East Germany!

  10. #350
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    East Germany!
    Yes, or North Korea. Or middle school. Any awful place you can imagine.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Girl Who Got Her Toes Sucked by Quentin Tarantino
    By Stansmith in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Why N can suck, who else is neurotic?
    By Billy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
  3. Are there any Ns who really suck at interpreting literature or poetry?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
  4. The Language of Politics (moved from who sucks?)
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
  5. Who, me?
    By helium in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO