User Tag List

First 22303132333442 Last

Thread: Who sucks?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    big breasts-overrated
    I have equal appreciation of gigantic boobs and extremely flat chests, yet average boobs are merely acceptable to me. I find this unusual. I must just have a taste for extremes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I have equal appreciation of gigantic boobs and extremely flat chests, yet average boobs are merely acceptable to me. I find this unusual. I must just have a taste for extremes.
    looks at your Ne
    heheheh

i'd say
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If she's responsible for Western society than that's just another reason to dislike her work. She takes a thread of truth and then ruins it by wedding it to her absurd notions.
    Kind of like Communism (or certain other political philosophies that people are sick of derailing threads with), except not nearly as dangerous when taken to extremes-her elitism limits its mass appeal,her individualism limits the cohesion of any potential movement, and she tempers Nietzsche's more unpleasant ideas with J. S. Mill safeguards.

Insomnia sucks.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    His ideas are simplistic and his classifications arbitrary, but there's too much happening for me to completely dismiss him-but I guess that's a debate for another thread.

Edward Said and his Orientalism, on the other hand, sucks balls.
    Said's Orientalism threw a light on the massive amount of stereotyping and false assumptions about types of people out there... in an academic setting... yet his books were intellectually available to all...

In fact, Said's Orientalism is one of the few works which set the stage for combating Huntington-style ignorance and unjustified reductionism.

____

Why do you think he and his work suck (balls)?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Said's Orientalism threw a light on the massive amount of stereotyping and false assumptions about types of people out there... in an academic setting... yet his books were intellectually available to all...

In fact, Said's Orientalism is one of the few works which set the stage for combating Huntington-style ignorance and unjustified reductionism.

____

Why do you think he and his work suck (balls)?
    Because he goes much too far in the opposite direction of Huntington. Basically, I believe in the superiority of certain political ideas and institutions (classical liberalism,representative democracy, freedom of speech, religion, equality under the law, etc.) and Said attempted to stigmitize (very successfully, unfortunately) anyone who objected to any aspect of "Eastern" cultures that conflicted with these ideas and institutions. To me, that's like somebody in Europe demonizing anyone who thinks algebra is a good thing because it was invented in the "East" (I actually forget whether it was Persaians or Arabs who first discovered it and when, but I suppose that's not the point). He denigrated the legitimacy of any outsider perspective pertaining to cultural, historical, and contemperary political studies, which I find somewhat hypocritical in someone who thought he could evaluate Western perspectives so thoroughly.

MBTI
    ENTP

^

I don't think that was what he was going for... instead, he was countering a dominant trend in "Western" historical, anthropological, philosophical, and political disciplines of trying to fit every one who happened to be geopolitically Arab, Indian, and Chinese into a preconceived notion of what it meant to be from the Orient... which was not all the same thing as his trying to dislocate liberal political institutions, which he valued as much as most intellectuals of our day.

Indeed, you're doing exactly what he was complaining about... slotting "Eastern" culture into a certain mold and drawing big conclusions about what it means to be from this fabricated "Orient".

He also didn't denigrate all outsider perspectives... he denigrated outsider perspectives which came into an alien territory and attempted to fit data into a preconceived schema rather than actually observing what was on the ground and then drawing conclusions... in other words, he was advocating responsible inductive thinking over unrealistic instances of deductive thinking when applied to anthropology and related or overlapping disciplines.

Also, he's not the opposite of Huntington... it's not like he disavows the reality of culture or civilizational zeitgeists... he does, however, object to the traditional views which have ossified and held people's rational thinking about other societies in thrall for the past few centuries...
    ___

At the risk of sounding know-it-all, I don't think you understand Said at all.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    ^

Indeed, you're doing exactly what he was complaining about... slotting "Eastern" culture into a certain mold and drawing big conclusions about what it means to be from this fabricated "Orient".
    Perhaps you could explain how I am doing this? In the meantime, I'm going to try and get four hours of sleep.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 08-20-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Its late and I have work in the morning

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Perhaps you could explain how I am doing this? In the meantime, I'm going to try and get four hours of sleep.
    "Said attempted to stigmitize (very successfully, unfortunately) anyone who objected to any aspect of "Eastern" cultures that conflicted with these ideas and institutions."

There're entirely incorrect assumptions here regarding Said's thought...

Said wasn't defending Eastern culture, because he didn't believe there was such a thing as a definitive Eastern culture with a definitive political ideology and a definitive ethico-moral mindset. So for you to say that Said was reflexively complaining about people criticizing "Eastern" cultural ideologies that conflict with "Western" ones is to completely misunderstand his central point, that there was no single Eastern (or Oriental) culture. You do say "aspect of 'Eastern' culture', but the assumption here is that Said was simply acting as a champion of anything which happened to fall under that category (the category being imagined or otherwise).

What Said was really doing was countering the notion that there was a set of "Eastern" beliefs to oppose against "Western" ones, since he (and many others following him) have levied the charge against "Westernism" that all that is West is a piecemeal assemblage of all that was right with European culture, the great philosophers and scientific movements, with convenient omission of anything which went against the central thesis of Western culture. In addition, all that was excluded was heaped into the notion of the Orient, which served as the convenient foil, the Other, against which to define the Self/the West.

Said was very critical of many conservative tendencies that plagued his homeland, such as male chauvinism. He was not a blind lover of all things "Eastern". In fact, he was very much an Arabo-European intellectual who was announcing the obsolescence of an old "Occident-Orient" mode of political and anthropological thinking.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well I smell a thread split.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    About half to 2/3 All of the books I had to read for English classes in school.
    That's how I feel about English class.