User Tag List

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Who sucks?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I actually found Tokyo Story beautiful, but a little underwhelming. I am more of a Mizoguchi man than an Ozu man.
    I haven't seen any of Mizoguchi's films (there's still time), nor much at all of vintage Japanese cinema. Sansho the Bailiff has a crazy high PSI and sounds a fine premise. I'll have a look on veoh for some of his films or buy Sansho after City Lights. Ta, PM.

paulofilmo's Film Rankings at Criticker

Sorry about Rashomon. Bad mood, I guess.

Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I haven't seen any of Mizoguchi's films (there's still time), nor much at all of vintage Japanese cinema. Sansho the Bailiff has a crazy high PSI and sounds a fine premise. I'll have a look on veoh for some of his films or buy Sansho after City Lights. Ta, PM.

paulofilmo's Film Rankings at Criticker

Sorry about Rashomon. Bad mood, I guess.
    I like Ugetsu just slightly more than Sansho the Bailiff, but they are both stone-cold classics.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I'm pretty sure he has my worst director average on Criticker:

Michael Bay
    Biography: No information [Submit a Biography]
    Total Films at Criticker: 7 - You've Seen 4
    Your Average Rating: 22.75

Films you've ranked... As Director (4)

Bad Boys (1995) - 33

Armageddon (1998) - 28

The Rock (1996) - 24
    Probably the most overrated film ever made. If you can get past the terrible acting, script and plot, you'll be staring at the back of your TV.

Pearl Harbor (2001) - 6

/100
    Well, I'll give you Pearl Harbor, although you can't deny that the effects in that film were absolutely amazing.

I enjoyed both Bad Boys films, Bad Boys 2 even more because it was just so gratuitously violent, and it had the kind of stuff I always dreamed of seeing in an action flick.

I enjoyed Armageddon because it was entertaining, although it shouldn't have taken itself so seriously with the whole love story. It was, overall, exactly what one should expect from a summer popcorn flick and then some.

But Bay's best films were the ones he made with Dreamworks, such as The Island and Transformers, both of which were well above-average. Curiously, however, those two films had a bit more of a Spielberg tone to them, seeing how he was the executive producer for them.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End were both highly overrated, but for some reason, I loved Dead Man's Chest, it must have been because of all the stunning technical innovations and imaginative creature designs.

As far as the innovative water simulations in At World's End, I would have to say that the best digital water simulations of that year were included in Evan Almighty.

Let's see, what else?

The movie Crash is ridiculously overrated. I couldn't even sit through it.

I Am Legend is another overrated film that took itself way too seriously. It should have been a comedy (whereas I, Robot should have been more serious).

In terms of video games:

The Halo and Gears of War franchise are both highly overrated. Haven't played Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed but I'm sure they're equally overrated.

And despite being a big fan of the series as a whole, Grand Theft Auto IV was extremely overrated. I enjoyed the game, but it's hardly the 10/10 perfect score that Gamespot gave it. I gave it an 8.5/10, and stated how I thought Saints Row was a far more inventive game.

Multiplayer gameplay is also very overrated, and personally, I find it boring.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I also wish to defend the honor of Citizen Kane. I think it's one of those movies that's every bit as good as its reputation proclaims it to be. Admittedly, not everyone likes the same thing. Part of what makes it a great movie is the fact that Welles did some groundbreaking camera angles and directing choices that changed cinema thereafter. I watched a movie called RKO 281, about Welles and how he made that movie, and then immediately afterward attended a showing of CK on the big screen in NYC. (I think it was an HBO-made thing, with Liev Scrieber.) First of all, it's a completely different movie when you see it as it's meant to be seen. It completely envelops you, because of the mood he creates right from the beginning. But having some insight into the things that he did that no one else had done before him, and the things he had to fight to do to even get the movie made? It really tranforms the experience. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it doesn't suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Exactly--the Beatles' influence has so completely saturated everything that came after it that it's nearly impossible for those of us that didn't live through that era to realize just how new and groundbreaking they were when they came out. I love early Beatles stuff especially because they had that raw, live, frenzied sound, instead of the careful-sounding stuff that usually came out of studio recordings. I love John/Paul's harmonies, and I love the deceptively simple lyrics over complex chord structures.

I freaking love To Kill a Mockingbird. I think it's one of the best books ever written--I marvel at the craft of that book, and it's one of the few books that have ever moved me to tears.
    Hi. Will you marry me?

Senior Member Array Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    In terms of video games:

The Halo and Gears of War franchise are both highly overrated. Haven't played Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed but I'm sure they're equally overrated.
    I agree for the most part, Mass Effect could be longer, same goes for most Bioware games, and Assassin's Creed wasn't all that special after playing for an hour or two.

I don't think any of those games suck however, though yes do recieve more praise then they deserve.

Scream down the boulevard Array LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    If we judged all artists and thinkers by their personal lives there wouldn't be much work left to be admired.
    John Lennon is not my hero or my role model, so I can dislike him as much as I want. There are human foibles that accompany everyone, but I found him very pretentious, preachy and intractable for a guy who had very few and shifting views on life. Not admirable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    John Lennon is not my hero or my role model, so I can dislike him as much as I want. There are human foibles that accompany everyone, but I found him very pretentious, preachy and intractable for a guy who had very few and shifting views on life. Not admirable.
    John Lennon was a self-righteous douchebag.

Less preaching, more reading. Many of his political attacks lacked merit.

Scream down the boulevard Array LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post

I don't think I could possibly love you more than I do right now.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Instant karma's gonna get you.

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I don't think I could possibly love you more than I do right now.
    Aye. Correct on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Instant karma's gonna get you.
    I'm lost in dream number nine...I won't care.