User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Tropic Thunder controversies

So, in the new Ben Stiller-directed film Tropic Thunder, we have Ben Stiller playing a (just regular-stupid) actor character who is most famous for playing a retarded farmer called "Simple Jack," and we have Robert Downey, Jr. playing a white Australian actor who has his skin surgically darkened to play a black soldier character (basically, Downey is in blackface). Has anyone else been following the controversies with this? Actually, Downey's character has gotten way less attention; the use of the word "retard" in regards to the Simple Jack character has been the main point of contention, and there are some calls for boycott by advocates for the mentally disabled. Any thoughts? I am going out to see the film tonight, and I will follow up on this;

NOTE: I really enjoy offensive, transgressive comedy. Something would have to be incredibly unfunny (as well as offensive) for me not to laugh and be upset about it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

People who are offended by movies, unless it's something really egregious like shooting a naked woman in the face, are retarded.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't get why such a big deal is being made. There have been plenty of movies that make fun of retards. And the white guy playing a black guy has been done.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I don't really see the "retard" stuff as aimed actual mentally disabled people, As various other have said, it seemed more aimed at how characters in movies are shown than actual people.

The White guy playing a black guy didn't personally offend me, but I could see how someone might get offended at that.

The Alpa Chino character actually seemed the most possibly offensive character to me, since its such an obvious stereotype. Some of the movie southeast Asians also seemed like they could offend somebody.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Idiots make a fuss about this because it gets press coverage; the press covers idiots like this because it makes a splash.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't get why such a big deal is being made. There have been plenty of movies that make fun of retards. And the white guy playing a black guy has been done.
    He's actually a white person IRL playing a white actor playing a black guy, if you didn't get that part.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    People who are offended by movies, unless it's something really egregious like shooting a naked woman in the face, are retarded.
    see!
    this is why bluewing hates feelers
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    That sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as knowing that the movie is based on real events. Documentaries and docudramas of actual horrific events in history tend to pull at my heartstrings more. I have been pretty well desensitized to non-torture onscreen violence. You know what ALWAYS gets audiences outraged, though? Violence toward animals.

MBTI
    ISTP

I never get these controversies....unless the movie is doing something like saying "Everyone should go kill *insert group here*" or something like that, who cares? If you don't like it, don't see it and shut up.

Then again, being ISTP, I'm pretty much unoffendable when it comes to this type of thing.

As for this specific controversy, I don't see the point, people use retard all the time anyway, so that battle has been lost a long time ago.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP

I just saw the movie. My personal philosophy is that all's fair in comedy. If you don't like stuff being made fun of, you can save yourself the $8.

I thought the "retard" stuff was obviously more of a statement about the kinds of clueless actors that Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. were playing. I thought it was hilarious.