123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Olympics: Gymnastics Age Debate

Interesting arguments over the age of a member of the Chinese gymnastic team, due to discrepancies in chinese news articles where the ages were later changed.

I saw the girl (He Kexin) when she fell on Sunday. We were watching her on the big-screen at a local sports bar, so we didn't miss anything. It was agonizing. Some a-hole hicks at the next table were heckling her for slipping off the bars. I was furious. I'm an American, sure; but I'm also a parent, and I could see the look on her face when she went down. That experience for her was "psychological scarring" material, and I came within an inch of leaning over the back of the booth and giving these jokers a piece of my mind. (Aside from the other aspects of it -- they being adults, she being a little kid; they being fat slobs, her being an Olympic quality athlete; and so on.)

Now there's an ongoing argument over whether or not she was only 13 (or perhaps 14).

China of course now seems to have produced paperwork supporting her being 16. So I can't say for sure either way. There's no way to prove anything, although it was convenient that she merely had to be 16 during the year she competed, and her birthday is now listed as Jan 1, 1992 -- doh! (Can't the Chinese be craftier than this? Like picking a "random" date?)

But I can honestly say when she fell, the girl I saw there, the look on her face, and her emotional coping mechanisms were not the face of a girl in her late teens. This was before I had realized there was an age requirement... and I assumed she was around -12- based on her response to her terrible failure. That's around the age of my kids. My 13-year-old son would have had a different, more mature response. My 10-year-old daughter's response would have been much more similar to He Kexin's.

The FineLines and I even had a conversation about it, speculating on her age, before we knew it was being debated.

Sigh. Always has to be SOME sort of drama going on.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

As soon as i saw this girls i immediately thought she couldn't be any older than 12, and my friends and i debated about it for awhile in my living room. Then we heard them say that the age requirement was 16, and i was baffled. I felt the same way you do about her fall, and the way she reacted, she seemed much more immature than the other girls. I'm just going to assume that she is 16 years old, looks young and is a bit immature, since i can't prove that she is actually 12,13, 14 whatever.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love how her birthday was still January 1.
    Even that sounds fake.

Our daughter was adopted from China. Her "official" birthday is 5/5. But they had no idea what date it was since she was abandoned on the streets at a young age, so they just assigned her one. They tend to assign dates with national significance.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Oh, man...I don't know what is lower....

a) Lowering a child's age to compete and put pressure on her when she *totally* is not ready.

b) Americans laughing at her because she fell.

Crap!!!! I know it's China. I know we're all freaking out because of their human rights problems etc. But c'mon folks.

That's just evooooo...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

It was pretty god damned obvious the first day of competition that the youngest of the gymnasts was closer to 12 than 16.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It was pretty god damned obvious the first day of competition that the youngest of the gymnasts was closer to 12 than 16.
    kthx, pedobear
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Last I heard, they tend to not care about that stuff over in that part of the world. Unless the family keeps accurate reccords a kid's age falls through the cracks and the just assume the child is how old the think she is or needs to be. Some family of a friend of a friend is having that entertainment with a cousin brought in from Thailand. Right now her age is being debated as being between 12 and 19. How sad is that?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What's wrong at laughing at Olympic athletes?

If you are good enough to be one, you should be able to handle getting laughed at.

If you aren't old enough to handle being laughed at, you shouldn't be allowed to compete.

Anyway, this is a prime example of why women's athletics will never be the equal of men's athletics. No world-class male athlete in any sport gets his ass handed to him by 12 year old boys.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What's wrong at laughing at Olympic athletes? If you are good enough to be one, you should be able to handle getting laughed at. If you aren't old enough to handle being laughed at, you shouldn't be allowed to compete.
    Nothing's wrong with laughing.

But how they did it and in what context to me showed them to be real assholes. I probably wouldn't be very impressed with how they treat the women in their lives... at least, if they have any other females in their lives other than the canine variety.

Or the kids. These guys were total pr*cks.

Anyway, this is a prime example of why women's athletics will never be the equal of men's athletics. No world-class male athlete in any sport gets his ass handed to him by 12 year old boys.
    lol, dude, she could hand you YOUR ass five times over!