User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yiang Jing Jang or whatever she's called (far right) has to be at LEAST 22.

I say cut 'em in half and count the rings. Cheating bastards.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    16. *cough cough*
    She's 16.
    *cough*

Yes. Sure. So obviously 16.

OMG.

I'm sorry, just for purely selfish reasons I was on the side of the Chinese for this (even though the Chinese audience such poor sportsman during the Archery finals) but OMG.

And - hilarious laughter at the way the American gymanst is staring daggers at her.

All that said -- why is there even if an age minimum? I mean, honestly, do people think it's *easier* for an 11 year old to win a gold medal than a 16 year old?

I'm sure others have already speculated and even posted articles or quoted studies, but I think the age minimum was more for the protection of children and to stop truly Dickensian methods of exploiting kids to win national pride than to stop any 'unfair advantage' and under 16 year old might have. And put some kind of sane curb on the grueling push for child athletes to get a medal before their merciless retirement age of 22 kicks in.

In terms of athletic ability and performance, the youngin' deserves the gold.

For the sake of keeping children from being exploited and made miserable to live out Olympic dreams, perhaps the EOC or IOC or whatever it's called -- can try harder to enforce its rules.

I don't think that highly of the Olympic organization at all so no surprised.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    OMG......
    Are you in the know as to what transpired before this podium scene? Liukin had the same score as Hexin but was placed 2nd due to a really silly tiebreaking rule. She should have had a higher score to begin with. /subjective

And it's not that the rule makes sense, I don't even agree with it, but IT IS IN PLACE and the Americans follow it but the Chinese do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Are you in the know as to what transpired before this podium scene? Liukin had the same score as Hexin but was placed 2nd due to a really silly tiebreaking rule. She should have had a higher score to begin with. /subjective

And it's not that the rule makes sense, I don't even agree with it, but IT IS IN PLACE and the Americans follow it but the Chinese do not.
    Not to mention the home cookin' the Chinese girl got when she wasn't marked off for mistakes she made. Not that I'm an expert, but the TV commentator almost had a stroke.

And true...a rule is a rule is a rule. I'm shocked at how this has been soft-pedaled as not to offend the Chinese hosts.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Once you get weight in the hips, it's a lot harder to swing your weight over your head. Obviously easier for a girl under the age of 11 than one of 16. The point is, it's not a level field. The US, GB, France and Germany all could find talented gymnasts under 16 to win with that advantage.

Don't know what happened in archery, but the US vs. China baseball game was really nasty. A beanball was thrown at a US player's head and six other players were hit by balls. Two Chinese players and two coaches were ejected.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENFP

Is there a video of her reaction?
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Try the NBC link I posted. The event was uneven bars, final. She was noticeably perturbed.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What's wrong at laughing at Olympic athletes?

If you are good enough to be one, you should be able to handle getting laughed at.

If you aren't old enough to handle being laughed at, you shouldn't be allowed to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nothing's wrong with laughing.

But how they did it and in what context to me showed them to be real assholes. I probably wouldn't be very impressed with how they treat the women in their lives... at least, if they have any other females in their lives other than the canine variety.

Or the kids. These guys were total pr*cks.
    They laughed at her because she was Chinese... it was dehumanizing jingoism (from what you're telling me) at its worst.

And - hilarious laughter at the way the American gymanst is staring daggers at her.

. . . .

All that said -- why is there even if an age minimum? I mean, honestly, do people think it's *easier* for an 11 year old to win a gold medal than a 16 year old?

. . . .
    Firstly, Nastia won the gold, so probably doesn't care enough to stare daggers at the other girls. She's probably thinking what most of us are thinking: "16? Yeah flipping right."

Secondly, children that young are exposed to psychological and physical traumas that may irreparably damage them if they're not mature enough to handle high-level competition. It's easy to see a 13-year old whooping everyone's ass in a competition and say, why not? But we don't see the years before and after... particularly since China essentially recruits young girls and boys, locks them up in training facilities for their whole lives, and then dumps the ones who don't work out. They're left unfit for life in the real world.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

...In terms of athletic ability and performance, the youngin' deserves the gold.
    Well, I will agree that obviously she's highly talented. Especially to suffer a fall off the bars under international scrutiny and still remain competitive later enough to win a gold. That takes such an amazing amount of self-control especially at that age. (Which is might or might not be good psychologically. I had to be tough for my age at that time too... but it caused a lot of problems later in life.)

The audacity of the lies are what annoy me. Let's just call a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Firstly, Nastia won the gold, so probably doesn't care enough to stare daggers at the other girls. She's probably thinking what most of us are thinking: "16? Yeah flipping right."
    Nastia won the gold in the all-around competition. She lost the gold to He Kexin on the balance beam (?), which is what we are discussing here... due to the way the tie-breaker was settled. (But like others say, yes, the rules were agreed on up-front, so... meh.)

I didn't examine everything she said, but N seemed pretty classy overall in her reactions to things. And she won the all-around gold, so that probably helped salve things a bit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft