• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Star Trek" as an Anthology Series?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How to save Star Trek: Make it the True Detective of science fiction - Vox

Interesting idea. And it could work, and would expand Star Trek from the trekkie market (IMO) to perhaps a more mainstream audience. It could also focus on arcs, not the typical happy space camper cast for umpteeth seasons. You could actually focus on an issue on just one planet, or with just one species... or a particular angle, without being forced to stay there next season.

Also, the thought of this just leaves me weak in the knees:
Hannibal and Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller (a Trek alum), for instance, would love to make a Trek series with Angela Bassett as captain of a starship. With the anthological miniseries format, both Fuller and Bassett could squeeze a 10-episode season into their busy schedules.

Thoughts?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This format reminds me somewhat of the old Doctor Whos, they'd be shown in multiple episode stories. I really think that (we) nerds need to let their beloved media to live in their own time and place instead of turning them into franchise zombies and stop throwing money at their dark voodun controllers.

I honestly think that we were lucky as hell to get TNG, and the main reason for its success and Star Trekkiness was the involvement of Gene Roddenberry. Back when I was more of a fandom masochist I gave a chance to DS9, Enterprise, Voyager. Some of it is good entertainment, but honestly, I think they don't capture the spirit of the original vision.

Abraham's reboot is arguable the most entertaining and not very Star Trek at all, as he himself admits the gig was basically an audition to get ahold of the mother of all undead franchises, Star Wars. Now, meditate on that, in our love for the characters, the whooshing noises and signature blinking lights, all expressed in hard cash, we have now created a world where we will undoubtedly eventually see the Millennial Falcon duking it out on the big screen with the Starship Enterprise. There is no question, it all became heavily funded fan fiction a long time ago.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think the franchising can kill an idea dead.

I liked the first Abrams reboot a lot. I was offended by the second since it just shamelessly cribbed Wrath of Khan, although on second viewing taking it on its own merits, my opinion improved. Still, I find myself indifferent to it. And with the third movie losing directors at least twice and not even having a shooting script a month before it starts, and with the director it has.... I've kind of already written it off. (But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.)

Again, getting back to the franchise thing -- I think if they could just tell original stories rather than focusing on the franchise, they'd do a lot better. There's a huge world there with an established base. But all we seem to get is the same general tired retreads.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] I think I'd generally approve of a series, maybe in Anthology form, if:

It heavily focused on ethical and moral dilemmas.
Relationship development between the crew members is almost inconsequential to the drama.
Retained a feeling of hopefulness and idealism and exploration (<-- EDIT, I forgot the most important part). The 'let's make it gritty' approach to franchise resurrection just goes against what Star Trek is about.

Part of me wants to see people keep trying to do it, just in case they got it right.