First 123 Last

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    This could actually happen.

Miles Morales, who is Spider-Man in the Ultimate comics, happens to be half-Hispanic.
    Ah yes! Well that would be intriguing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Teenage heartthrobs. Did you really expect a daring new direction?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sorry. My closet idealism sometimes oozes out and infects my brain.

(In actuality, both the last two Peter Parkers WERE representative of the comic Parker, just different facets; and they weren't necessary heartthrobs, they were acclaimed actors in their prior movies.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sorry. My closet idealism sometimes oozes out and infects my brain.
    You should get that looked at.

(In actuality, both the last two Peter Parkers WERE representative of the comic Parker, just different facets; and they weren't necessary heartthrobs, they were acclaimed actors in their prior movies.)
    I am not sure there was ever a time in which Tobey Maguire was considered an acclaimed actor. Both are not exactly heartthrobs; I give you that, although Eduardo Saverin was really attractive in The Social Network. But posing that they choose teenage heartthrobs instead of a 'daring new direction' now does not mean I thought they had either in the earlier movies. I think the first movies worked in spite of Maguire, and the last one more due to it being a Spider-Man movie than because Garfield brought a particularly large fanbase with him.

I suspect the one and only reason there will be another new Spider-Man is that the studio(s) want to make more money. So they do it the safe way.

If am not mistaken, the MTV series has earned Dylan O'Brien a fair amount of gay fans. He could turn that movie into an underground mainstream hit if the suit is tight enough.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You should get that looked at.
    I'll need a shopvac and a mop with replaceable heads.

I am not sure there was ever a time in which Tobey Maguire was considered an acclaimed actor. Both are not exactly heartthrobs; I give you that, although Eduardo Saverin was really attractive in The Social Network. But posing that they choose teenage heartthrobs instead of a 'daring new direction' now does not mean I thought they had either in the earlier movies. I think the first movies worked in spite of Maguire, and the last one more due to it being a Spider-Man movie than because Garfield brought a particularly large fanbase with him.
    Well, I think I meant the word "acclaimed" compared to the actual "heartthrob" actors in their generation. They did some decent actual acting work in non-mainsteam movies. To me, a heatthrob is an actor with a fan base but who is only in big splashy movies and can't act worth shit, he's coasting mostly on his pretty face and hunk appeal.

I suspect the one and only reason there will be another new Spider-Man is that the studio(s) want to make more money. So they do it the safe way.
    Yes. AS2 did make money -- just not nearly as much money as they THOUGHT they should be making. (And I mainly blame the studio for dicking around with the script incessantly and trying to build a franchise without establishing a foundation first. Putting the cart before the horse. That only works if you've got rockets on the cart, and the horse will still be pissed off.)

If am not mistaken, the MTV series has earned Dylan O'Brien a fair amount of gay fans. He could turn that movie into an underground mainstream hit if the suit is tight enough.
    I'm not even sure who he is. I just took a look and thought, "Oh, how boring and predictable."

... still... these kinds of discussions all came up when there was discussion of having a female Doctor Who, and they settled on Capaldi, an old white guy. I am not a Who fan and don't watch the show, but actually I've heard the season has been pretty spectacular and he's reinvented the doctor a bit, so despite casting conventionally perhaps it was an okay turn after all. I don't necessarily want to write everything off just based on casting.

I don't necessarily want to write everything off just based on casting.
    I'll write everything off based on it being a Hollywood Spider-Man movie.
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

A man like spider-man is too good for Hollywood. He should enlist in red cross and give up cinema before he ends up on the streets with a cigar loaded with cocaine, a briefcase with overdue tax money, and a long list of medical bills from all the random one night stands on the streets of LA.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Peter Parker Out In Spider-Man Reboot, Film To Feature Black Actor--Report

...The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider recently commented on the future of the reboot and Peter Parker’s involvement in the movie. During his appearance as host on the Meet the Movie Press podcast, Sneider claimed he is 95 percent certain that “Spider-Man is not going to be white.” When asked by fellow host Mark Reilly from Schmoesknow.com on what he thinks the ethnicity of the character will be, Sneider replied, “Spider-Man is going to be most likely black. But there is a chance he could also be Latino.”

...Sneider said the leaked emails from Amy Pascal were perceived as “racist in some quarters” and thought “that’s going to play into things” in casting a black Spider-Man in the reboot....

...Sneider claimed Marvel and Sony’s decision to cast a black Spider-Man in the reboot is not “set in stone” yet. However, per Slashfilm, Sneider is credible enough in providing details about the upcoming franchise. He has reportedly so far in the past provided accurate movie information....

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Drew Goddard* is now on Spiderman.
    Shorter release times means lower budget, quicker stories (versus huge money sinks that flop?)

Very minor spoilers in the article that might not be spoilers after Thursday.

'Spider-Man' Can Offer What Marvel Is Lacking - Forbes

*Directed (and did writing work) on "The Cabin in the Woods"
    Did production and writing work on Lost.
    Wrote for Daredevil, World War Z, Cloverfield, Alias, Angel, Buffy
    Drew Goddard - IMDb