• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Better Call Saul (spoilers)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just opening this thread and noting that this series releases this Sunday, February 8th, on AMC.

Looks like they're also doing the "back to back" thing too of releasing the next episode for 24 hours following the current one, before it airs the next week. My FIOS DVR picked up episode #2 airing on Monday.

Welcome back, Saul Goodman (and Mike Ehrmantraut)! We missed ya!

saul-goodman.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh, we'll see. Seems like they're milking a cash cow at this point. That said, I do enjoy Odenkirk.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't necessarily trust networks, but I trust Gilligan.
I don't think he'd tell the story if he had nothing to tell.

He's been pretty solid every since I've seen his work in X-Files, plus the occasional indie film.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
high praise.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/better-call-saul-review-bob-odenkirk-leads-worthy-152151458.html

...Probably the biggest surprise about the premiere of “Better Call Saul” is just how comfortable and familiar it felt. This isn’t “Breaking Bad,” but it definitely lives in that world. “Bad” was known for presenting unique camera angles and exploring its world with striking visuals and sound.

“Saul” moves faster, but it has that same sense of mood and atmosphere. Scenes are set through lighting, sound and visuals in a way that you actually notice and appreciate. It’s television as artisitic expression rather than just pointing the cameras at the actors and having them read lines.

On top of that, “Saul” features the same level of dialogue and acting performances that “Bad” had. It’s as if the crew didn’t skip a beat and this is just the next season of “Breaking Bad.” Only this season is told primarily as a flashback to Saul Goodman’s early years and Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are nowhere to be found … which is actually pretty high praise.

There's more in there, but it can be spoiler-y if you'd rather know nothing at all going into it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks for the reminder! I just set my DVR to pick it up. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished. I liked it.
And the last five seconds left me laughing non-stop. Awesome!

Episode 2 is tomorrow night (Monday).

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is it tone-wise compared to Breaking Bad? BB was unceremonious at times which made it amusing, but they were initially plugging Better Call Saul as a comedy or something resembling it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's funny, but it's not just a comedy, I guess. We are supposed to give a shit about the characters, and most of what happens to them is presented straight-faced even though it is funny. It does have some things in common with BB, tone-wise, but takes itself much less seriously. Some of it does seem like a riff on BB but that doesn't seem to be all it is or aspires to be (and some of that just seems like Gilligan's fingerprints being all over it).

The AV Club reviewer gave the first two episodes a B, and I think I might give it a B plus, based on the first episode. A hopeful B plus. I think it could be really good. The opening scene had me hooked immediately and I was never bored.

Review: When Better Call Saul escapes Breaking Bad

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always been a fan of Gilligan's blend of the deeply personal/serious while filtering a wry ironic tone throughout... he dances with the absurd. He can create a lot of empathy and pathos for protanogists simply by the terrible luck they all seem to have, and yet it never really drops into farce, they all still seem like very real people.

He had a bit of "quirk" even in his first really famous X-Files episode he solely wrote (Pusher -- there's a weird emphasis on the color "Cerulean Blue"), but "Small Potatoes" was probably his first great example of an episode that was quirky at core while still being able to take seriously, and involved some scrutiny of Mulder, having him question why he could have so much going for him and yet (at least in society's eyes) end up being pretty much a loser.

He worked with Michael McKean in the two-part "Dreamland" there (first time working with him?), which was more a comedic episode (with Nora Dunn as McKean's screechy wife who Mulder has to deal with since he and McKean have switched bodies temporarily). But in "Hunger," he takes a really crazy idea (the fast food worker who is kind of a human shark and is trying to kick the habit of eating people) and explores it horrifyingly to its ultimate conclusion; so much of the episode can make you laugh at its approach to 12-step programs, but at the same time this soft-spoken person is wrestling with who and what he is, and the end is rather shocking in its existential bleakness. You see also his first directing attempt on X-Files (plus writing) on Je Souhaite -- the sardonic genie who enjoys twisting around the wishes of supplicants who free her from her magic rug. You can just see him practicing this "tone" of his that ended up being a mainstay of Breaking Bad and now is channeled into Better Call Saul.

There are similarities to BB and BCS, but so far BCS seems to be a bit more light-hearted in tone even with some serious elements.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gonna watch this today Yo!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well now that both parts of the Pilot episode have shown, I can safely say this show definitely rules! The writing team for Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul are some glorious SOB's.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I've only seen Ep 1, but yeah, entertaining. This series looks very promising despite the concept seeming anti-climatic. Good writing conquers all.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just finished the second episode. I understand now why they wanted to air them back to back, two nights in a row, instead of waiting a week. That was quite a one-two punch! Very enjoyable. I'm definitely going to keep watching. I'd actually watch a whole hour of grumpy parking lot attendant Mike, but I do hope he gets some new shtick soon so he can say something besides "you need more stickers."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished the second episode. I understand now why they wanted to air them back to back, two nights in a row, instead of waiting a week. That was quite a one-two punch! Very enjoyable. I'm definitely going to keep watching. I'd actually watch a whole hour of grumpy parking lot attendant Mike, but I do hope he gets some new shtick soon so he can say something besides "you need more stickers."

still, despite being a one-horse joke, it's a damn funny one... at least with Jimmy's responses. I just finished the episode a moment ago and I laugh at Jimmy just completely freaking out on him... while Mike just does the typical Mike thing and ignores his ranting.

The whole first half of the episode freaked me out... the impending violence of it. That was pretty dark, even while having some funny bits. Still, to see what Jimmy did there... that was rather amazing. He might just be a DA, but a DA is what was needed; he talked him down from total catastrophe to something manageable. And he could have just walked but stuck his head back in the lion's mouth so to speak because, well, he just couldn't leave. He's still got a heart.

I don't know if I can call him Jimmy. he's still Saul, to me. Hmm.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watched the first episode.

It was nice. It's breaking bad nostalgia back again though a completely different plot.

It has a story that build on a story that build on a story that builds on a story.

Substitute story to plot.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just want to say that Better Call Saul is not on TV here and I'm quite pissed off because I know by the time I get to see it I'm going to have already heard all about it.

:mad:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About No-Doze:

EDIT: Interesting interview with Raymond Cruz (Tuco).
Better Call Saul's Tuco Interview - Raymond Cruz Q&A - Esquire

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never seen a scene so morbid on a pilot episode. :shock:

It has potential.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
About No-Doze:

EDIT: Interesting interview with Raymond Cruz (Tuco).
Better Call Saul's Tuco Interview - Raymond Cruz Q&A - Esquire

That's interesting, and I didn't remember all the details of what had happened with No-Doze in BB. I'm going to need to brush up on the finer points of BB as I watch this, clearly.

I love the character actor who plays Tuco. He's also on another show (pair of shows, actually) that I watch- The Closer and its spin-off Major Crimes, where he plays a detective who is really quiet and buttoned-down but with a lot of anger simmering below the surface. It's really fun to see him play these two characters.