• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Better Call Saul (spoilers)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well that was pretty cray. just a lot of feels about what went down in Episode 8. I wonder how characters will emotionally cope with how it all played out and the long game of dealing with it.

Also, interesting article from writer's room POV about plotting and characters. Spoilers for Episode 8, don't read until after viewing.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
well that was pretty cray. just a lot of feels about what went down in Episode 8. I wonder how characters will emotionally cope with how it all played out and the long game of dealing with it.

Also, interesting article from writer's room POV about plotting and characters. Spoilers for Episode 8, don't read until after viewing.

Wow. That's all I had to say after that.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Halfway through episode 9 of the first season. I really like this show.

(I haven't abandoned this place, it's just that in addition to my health issues, I had trouble logging in).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sad girl.png

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 9.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does Mark Prosch show up in the later seasons, or does he drift away after Mike teaches him his lesson? I love watching Jonathan Banks' facial expressions. He doesn't literally roll his eyes, but you can sense his soul doing that once Mark shows him his pimp Hummer.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does Mark Prosch show up in the later seasons, or does he drift away after Mike teaches him his lesson? I love watching Jonathan Banks' facial expressions. He doesn't literally roll his eyes, but you can sense his soul doing that once Mark shows him his pimp Hummer.
The pimp hummer was great.

He showed up in multiple episodes. I would just look up his character in imdb, it will tell you what episodes he is in.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so they time jumped.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Episode 9.

I dunno, I think Chuck created a self-fulfilling prophecy for Jimmy by constantly reinforcing the notion that he would always revert to slippin Jimmy. This is kind of in line with how abuse and self doubt work. You get told something enough by someone you feel trust and love towards, you can easily start to believe it on some level and thus making those choices becomes inevitable and the person's words seem to ring true.

Regardless of Jimmy's faults, as the much older brother, it is ultimately Chuck's fault for allowing his jealousy and contempt to lead him to treat Jimmy in some very toxic ways

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno, I think Chuck created a self-fulfilling prophecy for Jimmy by constantly reinforcing the notion that he would always revert to slippin Jimmy. This is kind of in line with how abuse and self doubt work. You get told something enough by someone you feel trust and love towards, you can easily start to believe it on some level and thus making those choices becomes inevitable and the person's words seem to ring true.
This is more of how a person views the world (i.e., a belief), rather than us being able to truly pinpoint. Nature vs nature is a similar question, both influence, we just have trouble sifting out how much of one has contributed more sometimes.

Regardless of Jimmy's faults, as the much older brother, it is ultimately Chuck's fault for allowing his jealousy and contempt to lead him to treat Jimmy in some very toxic ways
Well, Chuck certainly did f*ck that up pretty nicely and picked really bad ways of resolving his issues culminating in what happened at the end of Season 3.

Then again, with Chuck no longer involved, Jimmy is stuck holding the bags of his life and he is the one who will suffer unless he makes changes, regardless of who legitimately can take some of the blame for screwing him up. My parents messed me up badly, but I still am having to work through things and making my life better.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to hold off on watching this show for a bit. I'm not in the mood for watching someone commit to a spiral of self-destruction, and I realized (maybe a little too late, haha), that this is basically what this show is.

But I just know Jimmy's perfect gig at the other law firm isn't going to last especially after the commercial thing.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to hold off on watching this show for a bit. I'm not in the mood for watching someone commit to a spiral of self-destruction, and I realized (maybe a little too late, haha), that this is basically what this show is.

But I just know Jimmy's perfect gig at the other law firm isn't going to last especially after the commercial thing.
Yes, it makes it hard. Especially seeing what a (despite his flaws) genuinely sweet, charming guy he is before becoming Saul. He genuinely cares about his senior clients even when he’s doing his salesman/matlock schtick

It’s interesting when people compare Saul to Walt, because I don’t think their transformations are similar at all. Walt was emerging with untapped potential and ambition during his transformation. Jimmy/Saul’s transformation is about losing a part of himself and compromising his own soul for success. Whereas Walt essentially finds his self and soul in the process of his change. at great cost to others’ lives, of course, in the cases of both characters

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Do any of the main characters "grow" though, or do they just gradually over time recognize their predicament and just sort of...surrender to their "weaknesses/vices/whatever" If a hero aspires to rise above the challenges and odds of not only the external world, but also the internal demons...anti heroes....don't...Saul is an antihero...he knows what he is and survives to survive another day, enjoying what distractions he can along the way. Walt was an anti-villain. He needed to believe he wasnt the bad guy for selfish reasons. And he didnt care how many innocent people had to suffer and die so he could go out feeling like a winner. I wonder how much of Jimmy's literal world has washed out all the color....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started watching bits of Breaking Bad last night -- in particular the "Better Call Saul" episode where he is introduced. Damn. it's still hilarious but now buttressed by BCS as pre-story, it's horrific to see how cynical, callous, and predatory he is. Like, he just completely gave up by the time BB came around. He even makes a crack about Francesca's ass being hot. Like, just wow. It's also kind of neat that Odenkirk was not as fit as he was while playing Jimmy in the last few seasons, so he looks like he's physically gone to pot as well as part of his downslide.

It's more about enjoying the journey, even if you know the end.
Because how that all ends is just crazy hilarious.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do any of the main characters "grow" though, or do they just gradually over time recognize their predicament and just sort of...surrender to their "weaknesses/vices/whatever" If a hero aspires to rise above the challenges and odds of not only the external world, but also the internal demons...anti heroes....don't...Saul is an antihero...he knows what he is and survives to survive another day, enjoying what distractions he can along the way. Walt was an anti-villain. He needed to believe he wasnt the bad guy for selfish reasons. And he didnt care how many innocent people had to suffer and die so he could go out feeling like a winner. I wonder how much of Jimmy's literal world has washed out all the color....
I think they evolve and devolve throughout the series. I think you would like this YT series on the psychology of the show and characters.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I think they evolve and devolve throughout the series. I think you would like this YT series on the psychology of the show and characters.

Love this! Thank you ^_^

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was feeling a little lost about last night's episode until then I remember Gene / Jimmy calling the vacuum repair guy some episodes back for an extraction, then deciding, "I'll take care of it myself." Doh. Now it all makes sense.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AITA for not having much sympathy for Howard's wife?

I mean, I think Kim just had to do what she did so she could live with herself, but as far as what happened in that episode, I just recalled that Howard (despite his faults) tried to remain classy and considerate with his wife while she just callously dumped his cappuccino efforts into a travel mug and seemed to dig needlessly at him about living in the guest bedroom.

So when she is suddenly acting like the aggrieved spouse, I ... had trouble caring. I know people are complex, but it seemed almost like a case of "only I can treat Howard poorly, how dare you harass him on your end." Also rather like a person of privilege, who felt sideswiped because peons like Jimmy were treading on Howard's space.

Or maybe there was just more grievance going on that we didn't see in their marriage. Who knows?