• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Better Call Saul (spoilers)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Damn, tonight's was one hell of an episode... esp the last ten minutes. I could barely breathe.

Next week, season finsle.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Damn, tonight's was one hell of an episode... esp the last ten minutes. I could barely breathe.

Next week, season finsle.

Amazing episode but when aren't they? My husband and I were talking and I don't recall Lalo being in BB. I remember Gus telling Hector they're all dead later on but nothing specific about Lalo or who killed him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Amazing episode but when aren't they? My husband and I were talking and I don't recall Lalo being in BB. I remember Gus telling Hector they're all dead later on but nothing specific about Lalo or who killed him.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lalo's a goner by the end of all this (not hard to imagine)... I think everyone's biggest question is "What About Kim????"

Decent interviews I found:

Better Call Saul: Rhea Seehorn on Kim's stunning moves, that final scene (episode 9) | EW.com

Better Call Saul's Rhea Seehorn - Exclusive interview

It's really fascinating too to get a better sense of how everything fits together with BB. Like Hector and Tuco. Basically we have found out how Hector ended up where he got (basically Gus helped put him there in the sense of helping him recover JUST ENOUGH that he knew who and what he was, but not enough to easily be able to live -- he wanted him to SUFFER for a LONG time). Hector often slants more as a bad guy and Gus a 'good guy' in the sense at least he's professional and competent, but here we are seeing a lot more warts on Gus than we realized (even if we could and should have assumed) and Hector in a sense is Gus' victim... although Gus was also a victim of Hector from years before. Everything is very mottled and muddy, but that is the world of Saul Goodman. It just is kind of mind-blowing seeing all this and knowing the ending that Walt contributes to. But it all fits together in perfect messy sense as would happen IRL.

Same thing with Mike, we're getting to hear a lot of his internalized philosophy -- basically he hoed this row, so he's gonna get buried in it, but meanwhile he's gonna do whatever he can for the people he loves until that is taken from him too. I just think it gives even more perspective on what he says in his final minute to Walt on BB, about just shutting up and leaving him in peace -- he's likely thinking about the two people he loves and did his best by, and that's what he goes out with.

I find that prequels and sequels often impact the films they are related to -- kind of how Rise of Skywalker or Matrix Revolutions tarnish The Force awakens or Matrix Reloaded, but in this case Better Call Saul is providing nuanced context to the characters in BB and actually making BB a better show if that was possible. Saul Goodman is so much MORE than a used car salesman and a joke as we see him in BB -- and there is such tragedy in his past that he has kind of just let himself sink into moral existential emptiness by the time Walt meets him. it's like his soul has been gutted from him at some point, and now we can see maybe how that happened.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, okay -- the finale wasn't a bad episode but I think I've enjoyed other season finales more. In this season, I think episodes 8 & 9 packed the most punch.

I do appreciate not really knowing what will happen next; too many series can feel predictable in terms of plotting, but here so much of the plot turns are based on choices made by characters when there are multiple authentic directions that could be chosen... so generally the choices don't come out of left field, it's just the typical unpredictable nature of human choice that determines which way the plot swings.

I guess we should talk about Kim

And the whole thing with Lalo:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rhea Seehorn deserves something for her work on this show. I love how she was so low-key and understated in Season 1 while still conveying the character so meaningfully -- and it has only gotten richer as time has progressed.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Rhea Seehorn deserves something for her work on this show. I love how she was so low-key and understated in Season 1 while still conveying the character so meaningfully -- and it has only gotten richer as time has progressed.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I hope, now that GOT is out of the way, she gets some recognition when awards season rolls around. She is just fantastic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doing the prerequisite "series viewing" before April 18 when Season 6 part 1 drops.

Almost through Season 1. Watching it together with my son and almost more fun watching his reactions. He's an avid Breaking Bad fan but didn't really get what BCS was about (aside from being a prequel series) and thus his expectations hadn't pushed him to watch it yet. Now he loves it, it's nothing like what he expected. We got through the big reveal in e9 and how that will impacts Jimmy for the rest of his career/life. It only gets better. I love how this show takes law minutia that seems like it should be boring and manages to make it both interesting and dramatic. Acting is so top-notch. Mike's scenes are so understated (as he is, as a character) and great as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, we got a little sidetracked with all the films for the Oscars, but are still plowing through for April 18. We are now halfway through Season 4.

He's been saying that he's shocked he never bothered to watch this before and thinks the camera work and cinematography might be better than Breaking Bad. I have to say that both of these series have always been well-above the necessary bar for a TV show -- in other words, they invest a lot more in the production quality than required and seem to take pride in always being better than expectation. It's pretty incredible.

I have also enjoyed watching his reactions. it was a joy to see his reaction to the end of Season 3 and share that experience with him, and I can't wait until we reach the finale of Season 4 together for him, to see where Jimmy has gone and also what Mike ends up doing that is the final nail in his self-embraced road to hell.

It was hilarious to watch Mike and Lydia meet the first time, framed against where things go with their relationship in the last season or two of Breaking Bad.

Also, Fring is again framed as a good manager in some ways but also as dangerous as a shark, with his dead staring eyes. These two shows (BB and BCS) really excel at making good guys with negative qualities and villains with good qualities, so that you can be turned off by some of the guys who you can admit are still decent people and also feel compassion for some of the guys who are ultimately not very good at all.

it's really a disgrace how often this show was nominated for awards but barely has won anything. Still, it has not deterred them. I expect it to be another show that will be worth watching straight through after it is finished, multiple times, without a loss of enjoyment. It is just so heart-breaking and hilarious and fascinating and gorgeous.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season 6:

Episode 1&2 were pretty banging.

Episode 3 was pretty sad.

Only ten more to go.

EDIT: So, yeah -- episode 3.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Season 6:

Episode 1&2 were pretty banging.

Episode 3 was pretty sad.

Only ten more to go.

EDIT: So, yeah -- episode 3.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Three things:

1. Does David Cross ever make an appearance?
  2. Are there any humorous aspects to Bob Odenkirk's appearance? I'm a fan of his comedy as well as many of the people whose careers he helped start.
  3. How familiar with Breaking Bad do you have to be? I've only watched a few episodes; there was a "scuzzy McGuyver using chemistry to solve problems" aspect I liked and I hope there's a lot more of that (even if it is just resolving whatever pitfalls may occasionally occur in meth production). I don't know that I've found the characters compelling yet.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Three things:

1. How familiar with Breaking Bad do you have to be? I've only watched a few episodes; there was a "scuzzy McGuyver using chemistry to solve problems" aspect I liked and I hope there's a lot more of that (even if it is just resolving whatever pitfalls may occasionally occur in meth production). I don't know that I've found the characters compelling yet.
You don't need to know anything about Breaking Bad, although there's a lot of mini-easter eggs if you do recognize people or places. That's the beauty of the show, it's a prequel that works in itself.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You don't need to know anything about Breaking Bad, although there's a lot of mini-easter eggs if you do recognize people or places. That's the beauty of the show, it's a prequel that works in itself.
I watched the first episode and I did find it very amusing. I think the more comedic tone is more my style. I also thought it was interesting that even though he's a con artist he seems to have genuine affection and concern for his uncle/cousin who founded that law firm.

I think the parking attendant at the courthouse where he worked as a public defender is a character from Breaking Bad, right? The actor was also in season 5 of Community ( which I thought was way better than Season 4 if not as good as season 3).