User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just watched this latest episode- so, so good.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Totenkindly, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

The old cop is so cool.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One of the best lines in episode 7:

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Not a bad episode (RICO s1e8), not one of the best -- it is mostly a setup for the last two episodes of the season.

It did have some decent moments:

- Jimmy in the dumpster [and yeah, everyone knows where that magic flute joke is going]

- the opening flashback... it manages to capture all the major show relationship dynamics in a few short minutes

- one line explains exactly how Mike got to where we found him in BB

- Chuck doubling down during the settlement meeting

Most interesting to me, the longer the show goes, the more I dislike Walt from Breaking Bad. He really managed to destroy quite a number of lives, without even being aware of the depth of it. Here we are, actually understanding where some of these characters have been and the way they've tried to do the right thing many times, yet Walt's pride seemed to corrupt him far earlier amid his trials.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Not a bad episode (RICO s1e8), not one of the best -- it is mostly a setup for the last two episodes of the season.

It did have some decent moments:

- Jimmy in the dumpster [and yeah, everyone knows where that magic flute joke is going]

- the opening flashback... it manages to capture all the major show relationship dynamics in a few short minutes

- one line explains exactly how Mike got to where we found him in BB

- Chuck doubling down during the settlement meeting

Most interesting to me, the longer the show goes, the more I dislike Walt from Breaking Bad. He really managed to destroy quite a number of lives, without even being aware of the depth of it. Here we are, actually understanding where some of these characters have been and the way they've tried to do the right thing many times, yet Walt's pride seemed to corrupt him far earlier amid his trials.
    Well Walt's quintessential issue was trying to reconcile a lifetime of forced conciliation towards others. It's what happens when people suppress their needs too much in favour of others or don't take a stand when the desire comes. Basically I'm saying he was a selfish prick who spent too much time trying to deny it and everyone else paid the price.

Or maybe just not enough assertiveness.
    'Consciousness is not simply a sensory-perceptual affair, a matter of mental imagery, as the contents of our mind would have us believe. It is deeply enmeshed with the brain mechanisms that automatically promote action readiness' - Jaak Panksepp

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Totenkindly, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

@Jennifer you were right. It is/was becoming more case oriented. I think that's terrible. When we started watching it we were hoping for something similar to Breaking Bad but it seems like it's taking a turn from it and MIKE is the only character that can create story lines that would take us there.

I didn't like the last few episodes but I love the MIKE scenes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    you were right. It is/was becoming more case oriented. I think that's terrible. When we started watching it we were hoping for something similar to Breaking Bad but it seems like it's taking a turn from it and MIKE is the only character that can create story lines that would take us there.

I didn't like the last few episodes but I love the MIKE scenes.
    I tend to view it more as cases that are having an impact on Jimmy's ethics... IOW, I'm less concerned about the cases than the impact on the character(s), which is what the show is also focusing on. And I disagree -- it's not really case-oriented the way I think you are meaning, where each episode = new case, like your police procedurals; it's about cases that extend over a few episodes and they are just used as formative dramatic devices in character development.

Who really cares about the Kettleman's, for example? But that was never the point: The whole point was what it exposed about Jimmy, and how it changed him for better or worse. Same thing with the current situation with the old folks' home chain: How is it affecting the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck, how it is impacting Chuck, and what will happen that will encourage Jimmy in following the law or leading to him deviating in another direction? And how it will it cement his relationship with Mike?

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I tend to view it more as cases that are having an impact on Jimmy's ethics... IOW, I'm less concerned about the cases than the impact on the character(s), which is what the show is also focusing on. And I disagree -- it's not really case-oriented the way I think you are meaning, where each episode = new case, like your police procedurals; it's about cases that extend over a few episodes and they are just used as formative dramatic devices in character development.
    This exactly.

I just feel that they are taking too long to arrive at a breaking bad type of arch. They had one when they brought those latino gangsters in though.

It feel that they aren't moving fast enough.

I didn't bother trying to watch Better Call Saul because I already knew they would not be able to re-create the success of Breaking Bad. Most spin-off series and sequels are not as good as the originals.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    I didn't bother trying to watch Better Call Saul because I already knew they would not be able to re-create the success of Breaking Bad. Most spin-off series and sequels are not as good as the originals.
    That's a shame.
    This one is actually good and works on its own.

(Occasionally a Frasier comes along.)

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    This exactly.

I just feel that they are taking too long to arrive at a breaking bad type of arch. They had one when they brought those latino gangsters in though.

It feel that they aren't moving fast enough.
    I guess it depends on personal taste. After all, it's not really moving any slower than Breaking Bad did in the beginning. You just don't have Jimmy blowing up stuff like Walt did. He's a different personality, kind of like the difference in RPGs between the "mad scientist/wizard" and the "people person / interpersonal skills" character.

Likes violett liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink: