123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Stephen King's "IT"

Looks like they will be starting things up (after a few years of preplanning) this coming summer, 2015. They could have done a lot worse than get the director of "True Detective" direct this [possibly two-part] movie, so that's a positive thing. Still I don't know much about the other people involved.

It's no secret that Cary Fukunaga is adapting Stephen King's IT for the big screen. According to Vulture, the film is moving nicely along, and Fukunaga even plans to begin shooting next summer.

Dan Lin, the film's producer, told Vulture, “The idea is to start official prep in March for a summer shoot. Cary likes to develop things for a while, and we’ve been with this for about three or four years, so we’re super excited that he stayed with it. You guys are gonna be really excited.”

And before you cringe about another King adaptation, even the prolific author himself approves of the Fukunaga treatment:

“The most important thing is that Stephen King gave us his blessing,” Lin said. “We didn’t want to make this unless he felt it was the right way to go, and when we sent him the script, the response that Cary got back was, ‘Go with God, please! This is the version the studio should make.’ So that was really gratifying.”

Fukunaga Will Film Stephen King's IT Next Summer
    King's movie sensibilities, though, are not quite his writing sensibilities as history has proven, so his endorsement on an adaptation doesn't necessarily mean much.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay, more news on this. I read they wanted to start filming this summer, which is bothersome since I have not heard of any actual casting until this week.

Will Poulter Is Pennywise In The New "IT" | News | Dark Horizons

When I first saw this headline, I had a "WTH" response to it. The guy is 22, and the only thing I remembered seeing him in is "Meet the Millers" which wasn't high cinema, although the four leads were solid (the movie's problems were related to the writing/story, I think).

But then when I went back through his movie pedagree, I remembered I did see him a few years ago in "Dawn Treader" (he was good), and apparently he's been very solid even as a young actor in almost every movie he's been in. It looks like the only occasional flop on his resume was due to something besides his acting.

He also bagged the BAFTA Rising Star award in 2014, beating out actors I *have* heard of and/or respect, like Lupita Nyong'o, Léa Seydoux, and Dane DeHaan. So... I'm still wary, but open; this role is one of the best-known in the King mythos.

Also -- it's now being referred to as a two-parter. Unlike some of the split novels recently, the book deserves at least a two-parter to do it any justice, if not a high-quality one-season mini-series.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    BEWB
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I doubt they can top this:

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes windoverlake liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Tim Curry was good casting. It's too bad the writing, format, and most of the other actors sucked.

MBTI
    BEWB
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Tim Curry was good casting. It's too bad the writing, format, and most of the other actors sucked.
    I guess I don't remember very much else. Still, I don't think they can top it. Have they casted Pennywise? On this it all depends....
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/loses...191801827.html

Well, that sucks but I agree with him and am glad he walked....there is no freaking way that book can be effectively reduced to one movie, and they are idiots if they think otherwise. Even if they get it made, it'll be a joke.

Is the incredibly stupid ending in the TV series taken from the book? If so, will it be in the 2015 reboot as well?

Ending spoiler

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Is the incredibly stupid ending in the TV series taken from the book? If so, will it be in the 2015 reboot as well?

Ending spoiler
    That's the actual ending of the book, except it wasn't really "what" it was, it was the closest in approximation that the human mind could actually comprehend it to be. (IOW, it was far more than what it appeared to be.) That whole sequence should actually be pretty surreal versus literal, if they do it, since it involves sending folks to the Deadlights.

That's the problem with King adaptations -- he can pull off lots of cool shit on the page that when less abstract folks and/or even just plain old hacks try to convert it to a movie, they end up just really dumbing it down and/or doing such a literal translation that it ends up seeming really stupid. There are so few King adaptations that I would even consider good. I tried to watch the TV adaptation of IT within the last two years and could only make it through about twenty minutes before I quit.

I don't know if they will make the movie now, honestly. If they try to make it in a regular 2.5 hour movie, it's going to suck ass. I think it's stupid they can expand something like Hunger Games and The Hobbit to multiple movies unnecessarily, but they can't actually decide to spring for just two movies to fulfill a book that NEEDS that much space to operate. "IT" is 1100 pages long in hardback, and that's not large typeface; the Hobbit was what, 200-250 or something ridiculous, with smaller pages?

MBTI
    INFJ

Such a bummer. I really wanted to see Fukunaga's take on horror. He's good at mood.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by windoverlake View Post
    Such a bummer. I really wanted to see Fukunaga's take on horror. He's good at mood.
    Yeah. That's what I thought too. Finally, a director who would focus more on the intangibles rather than obsessing over the more superficial elements of King's work.

The whole thing might be shelved for the meanwhile.

I wonder how much the budget was off. I bet King could have paid for it out of pocket, lol.

And sure, maybe the Poltergeist remake's lack of box-office oomph scared them... but if you make a decent movie, you typically get something out of it. I'm tired of all the hack-job remakes nowadays. (Point Blank?? really?? A remake??) Did Poltergeist need a remake? Not really... It's like making a copy of a copy.

The King adaptations that have done the best have either been so surreal that they're creepy in their own right (like Kubrick's "The Shining"), or Darabont's work where he actually manages to capture the positive end of King's works which allows any darkness to play better. All the failures usually just stem from people caught up in the superficial elements. IT is really a beautiful book, when you contrast the high moments against the dark.