User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Double-posting.. not sure which is the "official" discussion about this movie, & I want to participate with everyone.

Just saw this at the cinema 3 days ago.

I'll start by saying the novel is actually my all-time favorite. I first read it when I was about 8 years old (hooray for limited supervision). I've re-read it countless times since. Always absorbing something new.

I think some of King's best stories will never translate well to a movie format. Perhaps to a very well-produced television series, but even then, there are always limitations. I try to calibrate my expectations for that, whenever I see movies based on his works. Most of them are so atrocious, they're just plain funny, which I can still derive plenty of enjoyment from. The film reels tailored in our minds by King's particular turn of phrase are impossible to duplicate outside the realm of imagination.

I was overall unimpressed by the new IT. Honestly, it felt like, "Stranger Things Presents IT." Not just because they used the same actor. General vibe, the alteration of the timeline. Look, I grew up in the 80s, too. I love that ridiculous, tacky decade. There's so much nostalgia for it in TV & film lately, though. It's oversaturated to the point of distraction. Given that generation are adults now, it feels almost mastubatory, in a way. Which is fine, in moderation (for the record, I enjoyed Stranger Things).

Pennywise was not remotely menacing. I appreciate the direction the actor took, but the CGI effects really detracted from the performance, for me. Also, the voice reminded me too much of Hoggle from Labyrinth. Just didn't do it for me.

I feel like the creators tried too hard to inject their own voices into the storyline, pander to a specific audience.. so much that the depth of the themes, the multidimensionality of the characters was lost. It felt diluted, mixed all wrong. Unpleasant aftertaste. At times it felt like whoever made this film had merely read the jacket summary. Like someone made a cocktail they've never even tasted before. Just plucked ingredients from one skimmed page of a bartender's guide, & made weird substitutions, before ever sampling the real thing.

I'll probably come back to this and say more, once I've reflected a bit. I'm still kind of digesting it.

It's not a horrible film, but it was totally unremarkable for me, and didn't come close to doing the novel justice.

I am admittedly biased. Nothing will probably ever do it justice, in my mind. And certainly not this.

Also, cinemas are freaking LOUD, now. I have to wear earplugs whenever I've gone, in recent years. Otherwise my ears are ringing for a few hours afterward.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.
    Likes Totenkindly, anticlimatic liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I think I might downgrade my first score down to a 3.5/5. I have found that there have been some movies that I feel some way on first viewing, that then my feelings change after they sit and "solidify" a bit. (I think it's for those I've sit and thought a lot about, or have certain concerns over, so in trying to connect to the film I am either too harsh or too forgiving and need time to just let myself emotionally respond to get my "true reaction" to.)

It's hard because a 2:15 hour movie (even if it's just "part 1") cannot do the novel justice. As someone else mentioned, this would have been better handled through a few seasons' TV show if it is going to really capture the essence of the book.

Considering everything that might have gone wrong with a movie like this, it was way more on track than The Dark Tower (and many other King adaptations) and I think that is what people are responding to, although I don't like all the extra hype that makes the movie sound like more than it is. Usually for me, the "best" movies are ones that I either (1) feel compelled to rewatch repeatedly because they either capture my mind or resonate inside in some way or (2) watch once and even if I don't ever want to rewatch, I can sit there and think, "Yeah, that was a damn well-crafted movie." (I feel this way about "Lost In Translation" for example... it's a great movie that I'm not sure if I want to rewatch much but while watching, I can admire the craftsmanship, the willingness to live in ambiguity, etc.)

I can rewatch this movie, sure, but it doesn't really capture the feelings I experience when reading the book and doesn't generate new ones that drive me to reexperience them. It's more like, "Okay, that scene really captured the book scene well" or "I could see what they were trying to do there but it didn't really recapture the book."

Then again.... the movie is just too short to really be able to do what I wanted it to do.

I'll be honest, I wasn't enamored with "Stranger Things" either and was kind of surprised when so many people seemed to really feel something for it.... there were a few great ideas but felt more like "Tales from the Darkside - 80's Kitchen Sink" version to me.

I think some of King's best stories will never translate well to a movie format. Perhaps to a very well-produced television series, but even then, there are always limitations. I try to calibrate my expectations for that, whenever I see movies based on his works. Most of them are so atrocious, they're just plain funny, which I can still derive plenty of enjoyment from. The film reels tailored in our minds by King's particular turn of phrase are impossible to duplicate outside the realm of imagination.
    yeah, there are a few reasons for this from what I can see:

(1) King has enough skill style that he can make things work on a page (through language) that look and sound silly when translated to audible sound and visual image if taken literally.

(2) A lot of King's prose is internal to the characters rather than extroverted -- and unless you get the right filmmaker, most films are about what you can "show" outwardly. It's just a different art form. It would take a special director to really be able to translate King's work to screen... a director AND a screenwriter who don't work in literalism... and yet then you'd have some audience folks complaining that the film is not literal enough.

(3) his books are typically damned long and they don't translate well to a 90-120 minute format... even a 150 minute format.

(4) King himself admits he doesn't have great taste in movies sometimes. Which is funny, since he can produce... but he seems to enjoy a lot of types of things regardless of quality. Like, he has loved some of the movies that people have made of his books that pretty much the book-reading audience hated. It reminds me of Terry Brooks recently stating he "loved" the MTV adaptation of "The Elfstones of Shannara" for its Shannara Chronicles while many folks panned it, and the whole thing either made me laugh or depressed me because it didn't at all capture the nature of the characters I loved so much. (It's like it was mainly non-book readers that liked it because they had nothing to compare it to or were watching it for what it was, whereas book readers wanted to see it to relive the feelings they had reading the book.) Like WTF, though, with Brooks? King lately is advising folks to watch the movie "Cell" based on his book as his favorite adapted movie that people have panned. Okay, like maybe I'm curious enough to watch it... but I don't have high hopes.

I mainly found the opening scene between George and Pennywise menacing. However, the more Pennywise appeared, the less severe the stakes felt. Like, he seemed to be all bluster and no bite.

I guess the big question would be, if you were to be the director adapting this, what would you have done? I see so many problems in trying to adapt the book, I tend to be a bit more forgiving I guess -- I can see why certain choices were made and the difficulty in pulling other things off. The effort was made, but the constraints of time and the medium generates some big problems that could not necessarily be overcome.

I agree with everything you said in your Spoiler. I'm just not sure how all that can be tackled in 2.25 hours without other tradeoffs.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^ 100% agree with your post. And, looking back, the opening scene with Georgie did have an ominous tone that was pretty satisfying.

I hope this movie at least serves to encourage some people to read the actual novel. Perhaps explore his others, too.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm later to the party, but I just came out of the theater and I want to throw in my two cents.

My general opinion that the film felt "overdone". Like a restaurant meal that has too much sauce in it. The cinematography was great, but the directing was a bit too much - a crane shot in almost every scene. What is this, a Michael Bay film? It was distracting. Also felt like there wasn't much story or character development, rather an arrangement of scary scenes - kind of like going into one of those haunted houses in an amusement park, where shit just happens to scare you. Not much of a build up to anything. More like "Ok here we go, now THIS kid's shit gonna get fucked up". Also @Lexicon mentioned Stranger Things - I'm pretty sure they used the same locations for the film. That alleyway where the black kid almost get run over, and that cliff definitely looked like the same locations from that tv show.

I must say though, I liked the 3rd act. When the kids go down the well the movie really picked up and found it's footing. I think the fact that the film ended on the right note made the people give it more credit than it deserved (the film has an impressive score on IMDb). Anyway, I thought it was worth watching.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    @Lexicon mentioned Stranger Things - I'm pretty sure they used the same locations for the film. That alleyway where the black kid almost get run over, and that cliff definitely looked like the same locations from that tv show.
    Incidentally, I just started rewatching season 1 of Stranger Things over the weekend, in prep for the upcoming season 2 premiere. As soon as I saw the quarry scene, I thought of IT, too. It’s possible they used the same location, but then again, a lot of quarries tend to look the same to me.

I must say though, I liked the 3rd act. When the kids go down the well the movie really picked up and found it's footing.
    Goofy, bad footing. That movie fell down the well and got brain damage.
    Go read the Good Book, heathen.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

(Incoming fluff)

On a less substantial, sort of related note regarding a cast member of IT, I recently rewatched a couple episodes of Perfect Strangers, which I hadn’t seen since I was five or six. Vaguely recalled Balki played the maladjusted, at-sanity’s-edge Craig Toomey in the TV mini-series adaptation of Stephen King’s The Langoliers. Wanted to see the contrast of both over-the-top performances side-by-side. Stupid things make me happy.

Anyway, it hit me when the platonic neighbor friend showed up. She’s an eerie doppelgänger of Sophia Lillis, who plays Beverly Marsh in this new IT film. Maybe I’m the only one who sees it, but the similar facial structure & expressions struck me. Probably more amusing to me than it should be, but I thought I’d share.