• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stephen King's "IT"

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] I'm glad you're sorta excited about this remake. Nice we have a good horror movie to look forward to in the Fall too.

This movie really needed a remake. I watched IT as a kid and enjoyed the atmosphere/setting of the movie, and thought it was a pretty good scare. As an adult, I started on the novel and found it tiresome. Same for the movie. It jumps around too much. I know I'm not the only one who thinks it has problems. I just want it fixed, since there's good stuff in it. What the trailer shows is that they've kept what was good about the original, and it looks like they've added jump scares. I don't see much else in it, so I guess we'll wait and see, like you said.

For me, Stephen King's best stuff is based on simpler concepts. Thinner was my favorite. Good character development and plot escalation. I have bad taste though. I guess I latch onto something that seems more concrete. You prefer something blurry, I think, and I think that's another form of bad taste. You're probably less mainstream than I am.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] I'm glad you're sorta excited about this remake. Nice we have a good horror movie to look forward to in the Fall too.

This movie really needed a remake. I watched IT as a kid and enjoyed the atmosphere/setting of the movie, and thought it was a pretty good scare. As an adult, I started on the novel and found it tiresome. Same for the movie. It jumps around too much. I know I'm not the only one who thinks it has problems. I just want it fixed, since there's good stuff in it. What the trailer shows is that they've kept what was good about the original, and it looks like they've added jump scares. I don't see much else in it, so I guess we'll wait and see, like you said.

For me, Stephen King's best stuff is based on simpler concepts. Thinner was my favorite. Good character development and plot escalation. I have bad taste though. I guess I latch onto something that seems more concrete. You prefer something blurry, I think, and I think that's another form of bad taste. You're probably less mainstream than I am.

THat's probably true. I do enjoy some mainstream stuff as well (I have varied tastes) but I can also range into the esoteric and ambiguous, and I tend not to like the straightforward as much because it doesn't engage my mind as much.

I did not watch the movie "Thinner" because it just had horrible reviews and I didn't want to devote the time, but I did read the book. In fact, I think I have read everything he put out under Bachmann's name including "Blaze." There's also this thing where King is great on the page, but he seems to have terrible taste in making movies when he has been involved in movies. I remember enjoying Thinner (the book) although it was pretty straightforward; but I was only ever compelled to read it once. I think the Bachman stuff I loved the most was "The Long Walk" and "The Running Man" (the latter of which is completely UNLIKE the Schwartzenegger vehicle). THe Running Man, I think he wrote on a drug-induced high over a 72 hour period; it's all pretty much plot; but I think it was awesome mostly due to the pathos involved, and the desperation. The Long Walk is more like my thing, it's kind of offbeat and weird and a bit dystopian, and it's in essence a character study + an experiment of what happens when you stick a bunch of people in a crappy situation where only one will leave alive.

AS far as his regular books, one book of his I love that many do not is The Tommyknockers. I like the quirky elements of transformation, people losing their humanity as they become something else, and the whole story of a loser trying to make up for his crappy life by doing something right by the one person in the world he cares about, as well as humanity. But it's a quirky book. Otherwise I tend to like his early stuff best, up to about 1990. Then it becomes hit or miss for me. [I like some of the Gunslinger stuff... mainly books 1, 2, 4, and 7.) Another quirky book of his I liked was Pet Sematery (however it is spelled). It's another "plot driven" book but it's really tight thematically -- there's nothing in it that is not tied to the theme of "a doctor who is compelled to save lives, tempted to use dark forces to return life when he can't live with death." Fast read.

Basically King seems to have two approaches to books -- either he has something that is pretty tight and straightforward plotwise, everything is anchored in plot (these tend to be shorter books), or else he writes these absolute monstrosities of books where he is just enjoying writing about the characters and throwing in lots of stuff to "make it interesting" that can feel like huge tangents. SOmetimes that latter approach makes for interesting reading, sometimes it just makes a hell of a long book where you wonder why the editor did not do his job.

I can't stomach the TV version of IT. Tim Curry was good and that was about it; for me, the rest was hokey PG TV-level writing (where TV writing in that time period was not what the best TV is nowadays).

My main curiosity here with the new movie versions (with the first movie focused on the kids and the second focused on the adults) is that it does change up the story structure. THe book developed its own air of mystery because of the "forgotten memories" aspect. it's essentially the adults having flashbacks as they get back to Derry and time passes and they begin reliving what they experienced as children -- like repressed memories popping back to the surface. They didn't know what they were supposed to do, they didn't really recall much about IT, they didn't remember what happened per se. And so we did not either. WE learned about their past at the same time they did, and eventually the two narratives (past and present) sync up at the end.

With the movies showing us the kids timeline first, we'll lose that (although maybe it will keep some secrets in its back pocket for the second movie?). I wonder how that will be handled or if they'll just focus on other narrative structures instead. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for this. It's rare to see a King novel go full R rating effectively.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
....yeah, I'll just drop this here...

Been a long time since I read the book (i might try a reread over the summer), but the dialogue is not dumbed down at all. Which is cool.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hasn't been vetted, but these comments appear in the IMDB entry for the movie:

When Andy Muschietti initially signed on the direct, the studio had wanted him to use exactly the same script that Cary Fukunaga had planned on using, with the only edits being the omission of the more controversial scenes that would've earned the film an NC-17 rating (such as Henry Bowers having sex with a sheep and ejaculating on a birthday cake, or Beverly's father attempting to rape her). Muschietti loved the structure and human drama of Fukunaga's version, but requested that he be allowed to slightly edit the script to make it more faithful to the novel, which the studio chose to allow. These changes included putting in the Leper and Bill's stutter, elements from the novel which Fukunaga had cut, as well as changing names back to their original novel forms (Will to Bill, Travis to Henry, Snatch to Belch, etc.) and changing the firework fight back to the "Apocalyptic Rock Fight." Muschietti also planned on including the "Smokehole" scene in which Richie and Mike use a Native American tradition to have a vision which details how It arrived on Earth millions of years ago. Due to the extensive CGI needed for this scene, it was deemed too expensive for the film and Muschietti was forced to cut it from the script.

Cary Joji Fukunaga was set to direct, but dropped out due to production budget and a difference in artistic vision which included creative control over what the intended MPAA rating was to be. Andy Muschietti took over as director and filming began in the summer of 2016.

I wouldn't be surprised if these were true, having followed Fukunaga's work on HBO + the initial production hell where he was trying to put together the movie and eventually walked. So he could have easily been pushing for an NC17 but the studio was only willing to go to R.

Too bad about the Smokehole scene, if they end up not using it. I wonder how much that would have added to the pricetag. You'd think this movie's projections would be pretty decent, despite being rated R and a horror film... the book and TV series has a pretty solid following and I expect the first weekend to be pretty packed.

I don't expect the sex scene with the kids to get them out of the sewers to ever be filmed, honestly. It was a pretty ballsy scene for King to write in the first place and only his writing ability (where the scene ended up being transcendent rather than vulgar) really allowed him to pull it off without alienating an American readership. Putting it on film would be difficult if not impossible to do in a way that mirrors what the writing could accomplish... plus of course all the illegalities of filming something like that.

Director Andy Muschietti has confirmed that many of its forms, such as the werewolf and mummy, will be cut and replaced with new forms. He said that this is to make the terrors surprising, even for those who have read the book

If this is true, not as big a deal. The forms IT took in the book made sense in 1958, but the setting for this version is the late 80's. It's basically translating for the times plus gives book readers a bit of a new experience (kind of like some of the changes to GoT for HBO).

Tim Curry is IT, Tim Curry is LEGEND, people need to get a CLUE before this turns into a ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!

This really isn't a rant I just love Tim Curry. He's a big part of my teen years. Especially Clue I loved that movie!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tim Curry is IT, Tim Curry is LEGEND, people need to get a CLUE before this turns into a ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!

This really isn't a rant I just love Tim Curry. He's a big part of my teen years. Especially Clue I loved that movie!

worstwitch3.gif

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im so excited to watch this and scare the pants off myself.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The miniseries was more impactful than the remake will be I think, for incidental reasons. It's impossible to watch now because of how dated it is, but the same will likely be true of the remake in 15 years, depending on how unique it is. Timeless films are usually either a product of an eccentric director (The Shining) or a cast/writing chemistry combo that is endlessly entoxicating (Back to the Future).

Like the miniseries I doubt the remake will reach timeless status (but maybe? Would be awesome), but the miniseries hit the best target audience for the story I think by virtue of it being aired on TV just before bedtime: children as young or slightly younger than the children in the story. I doubt many kids of that age group will get a chance to see the remake. If you suck all the dated aesthetics out of both and run just on the story alone, for that age range, it's a very relatable tale of friendship and adolescent struggle with a new kind of concept that the rest drowns in: existential dread of powerful unknown malevolent forces. It introduces a new and very deep type of fear and awareness which incidentally introduces a very expansive and very new type of wonder and appreciation.

It's a great tale for children. In fact the people who love the story the most saw it as such. By making it R rated it might appeal more towards adults, but the kids will be missing out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
July 27th trailer (ignore the label)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This looks a lot better then the trailer for The Dark Tower. Maybe I'll see this in theaters.

I was gonna comment on that, since I saw the last Dark Tower trailer again while out seeing Atomic Blonde last night.

This close to release for both of those, I feel very uncertain about whether Dark Tower will just be mediocre or actually be something of rewatch quality.

IT does look more promising. I hope Andy Muschietti pulls it off.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some interesting links as well -- some might give more information than you want, so read at own risk if you like to go into a movie completely fresh:

How the IT Movie Evolved from Cary Fukunaga's Draft | Collider
The IT Movie Had to Cut Two Crazy Scenes for Budget | Collider
IT Movie: 40+ Things to Know About the Stephen King Adaptation | Collider
The IT Movie Won't Dive Deep on The Turtle's Mythology | Collider

Oh, the articles do mention (as per our conjecture in the past) that there will be two movies.

Last edited:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This movie is based on one of my favorite books, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD, because I have no means of getting to the theater.

á´…eparted

passages
MUST. SEE. MOVIE. I am SO excited for it! Erhmagerd. I have been so stoked since I saw the first teaser trailer a few months back.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw this tonight in an article comparing Dark Tower to IT. (The Dark Tower adaptation is extremely short, clocking in at 1:35.)

The upcoming It is based on King's massive novel. First published in 1986, the book numbers more than 1,100 pages. When first adapted for television in 1990, it was broadcast as two episodes, running a total of 192 minutes.

The running time for It has now been announced and it turns out it's even longer than expected: 135 minutes. While it's true that, for example, Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of King's The Shining ran even longer (146 minutes), it's quite unusual for a horror thriller to run that far in excess of two hours, especially since we know that scenes cut from It are being saved for the planned sequel.

What may that indicate about It? Speculation has been running rampant lately; Slashfilm captures one train of hopeful thought: "This is evidence that [director Andres] Muschietti and his team are focusing on character and story in addition to the scares, building a movie that has the time and space to really explore the dynamic of this world during the scenes when the shape-shifting clown monster isn’t murdering children."

please god give us ONE good King adaptation now that The Dark Tower has fallen....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw another theater trailer for this before "Dark Tower" started.

It gives confidence that IT has a shot at being decent. Not only does it have a realistic running time for the material (2:15) for a two-part movie series, but Muschietti was successful in general with his last horror excursion (Mama)... the script had a few weaknesses, but he did know how to (1) evoke loss and connection, and (2) had some pretty creepy/scary sequences. IOW, he's done it before successfully, with a decently budgeted film + he has directed children successfully before (the two girls in that movie were actually really decent). So they gave it to a director who actually has experience and success with the genre.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two weekends from now! Haven't seen much out in the last few weeks, but maybe they will start dropping trailers again.

I bought my ticket tonight -- Thursday Sept 7, 7pm (first Regal showing I found). Recliner seat, center of my favorite row.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Uuuuh, I was so busy, I totally forgot there was a remake made. I'm so looking forward to it! It is weird and hilarious at the same time, that I had one of the best dates while watching Stephen Kings IT! Hahaha. I really need to watch Stephen King's Rose Red afterwards... it used to be one of my favourite horror movies when I was a teenager and somehow the DVD survived all the moving from town to town.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mr Mercedes is on the AT&T network but I think you can find the first two episodes for free on the web.

I only read the first 50 pages of that book. Maybe I'll watch the series.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Early reactions to early screenings seem positive with many repeat observations that hit the right notes. Seems it has potential to be a classic: heart, comedy, and terror. So far reactions seem about as good as I could hope for.