User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Question Why do so many adults read YA fiction?

There is a trend that seems to be on the rise of full-grown adults reading books that are meant for adolescents within the 13-17 year old range. There's not necessarily anything wrong with reading young adult fiction once in a while; in between the adult fiction and classics that I read, I like to throw in some Lewis Carroll or Roald Dahl, for a good dose of nostalgia. But I know some adults who read YA fiction to the exclusion of other material.

I know, I know. People have the right to read whatever they want, and the fact that they're reading YA is better than reading nothing at all. But... why? What's causing this trend? Is it because adults are under stress, and they prefer the simple plots and easy resolutions of YA novels? Are they trying to recapture their adolescence? Or does it have to do with the declining reading comprehension of the average adult, and the fact that YA fiction is just... easier to read? Any theories?

MBTI
    yupp

They want to?? I don't believe the hype that education is worst than it ever has been. I think it's for once in a really long ass time available to the masses vs the elite and as a result the more people you have to teach all learning at different speeds and try keeping up with 40 kids and teaching all of them. I think people appear dumber now cuz there's too many people in schools and it's too mass produced and I think most people learn best individually and as a result they either don't care. the more people with a degree in a single field from college the harder it is to get a job in that field, because the number of jobs stay roughly the same but the number of people with qualifications go up. So I don't think people are less intelligent then in the past, but rather people who probably shouldn't go to college are going, because that's what we're told. and now it's un pc to say hey you know maybe university isn't for you but maybe you'd be a good mechanic. Though I think mechanics are smart I don't understand that shit. I'm like i press a button the car starts i have two peddles i press them and it magically goes. oh and it tells me when i need oil. beyond that i'm like lalalalalala.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have more than a couple friends who are writers, who have MFAs and also read YA. It's a niche of literature that is in many ways wide open to different ideas and narratives. It's fresh.
    Likes prplchknz, Ivy liked this post

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes ESFJ, Video, Qlip liked this post

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Because it can be a lot more fun, easily satisfying and engrossing. That and the ideas behind them can pose more interesting questions/scenarios. They have more of a spirit of adventure and like to ask "what if?". Adult fiction can really lack that.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

It's easy, exciting, and the stories are engaging? I'm 22 and I read a pretty good mix of non-fiction, historical fictions, classic literature, mystery/thrillers, with some YA fiction thrown in every once and awhile. I found the Hunger Games to be extremely engaging, and I liked the characters. I read the Divergent books while I was traveling because they were light and a good way to pass the time. I also come back to the Harry Potter series from time to time, but I feel no need to justify that.

By no means are either of those series fine literature, but every once in awhile it's nice to get sucked into something. I would say reading YA fiction is kind of like watching chick flicks.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    It's easy, exciting, and the stories are engaging? I'm 22 and I read a pretty good mix of non-fiction, historical fictions, classic literature, mystery/thrillers, with some YA fiction thrown in every once and awhile. I found the Hunger Games to be extremely engaging, and I liked the characters. I read the Divergent books while I was traveling because they were light and a good way to pass the time. I also come back to the Harry Potter series from time to time, but I feel no need to justify that.

By no means are either of those series fine literature, but every once in awhile it's nice to get sucked into something. I would say reading YA fiction is kind of like watching chick flicks.
    how i feel about anything really. people should like what they like, but the social police insist on alienating those who don't want to participate in life they way they deem as approriate. it's like STFU, what other people like to read, watch, or listen to does not effect anyone. I can like dumb shallow things but that doesn't mean i only like that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

They read YA fiction because they are light-weights when it comes to reading fiction.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    They read YA fiction because they are light-weights when it comes to reading fiction.
    That's kind of like saying people who drink beer do it because they are light weights with hard alcohol, which is silly. People drink beer because they like beer.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    That's kind of life saying people who drink beer do it because they are light weights with hard alcohol, which is silly. People drink beer because they like beer.
    Some beer-drinkers like to experiment with specialty beers; but most are brand-loyalists. Either way, the statement "I do like my beer" or "I do like my liquor" makes more sense than "I do like my Young Adult fiction."

I outgrew Young Adult fiction just before I entered adulthood. My tastes just changed and I didn't like reading it anymore. Long before I turned 12 I stopped reading Dr. Seuss because it didn't interest me anymore. I went toward the youth adventures and detective novels. When I no longer identified with youths, I could no longer care to read about their adventures.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”