User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That was easily the most intense episode.
    The tone differs from piece to piece; that's what makes it interesting.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That was easily the most intense episode.
    The tone differs from piece to piece; that's what makes it interesting.
    What's another episode you really like?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The episodes so far:
    The National Anthem
    Fifteen Million Merits
    The Entire History of You
    Be Right Back
    White Bear
    The Waldo Moment
    The Christmas Special

The ones in red are my favorite.
    I actually liked The National Anthem, but it put some people off.

The Waldo Moment is probably the worst (i.e., just boring/contrived) episode out there. I mean, the overall idea they're trying to convey is fine, but the episode itself just is blah.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Watched this series about a year ago and I did very much enjoy it. I'd have to say my favorite episodes are The National Anthem, The Entire History of You and Be Right Back.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

I love Charlie Brooker, I used to watch his weekly and yearly wipes. IRL I wouldn't be able to tolerate his level of cynicism and bitterness but he's just too entertaining and intelligent not too watch. I started this series with no knowledge of its genre, tone or structure and I was pleasantly surprised. On the one hand, of course Brooker would create a dystopian series but it's completely not what I expected. My favourite episodes were Fifteen Million Merits, The Entire History of You, Be Right Back and White Christmas. I thought the first episode was funny but I didn't find it as impactful and it didn't really motivate me to watch the others and episode 6 - The Waldo Moment was easily the poorest of the lot.

The pacing of White Bear was great, totally enthralling but I thought the delivery of its points lacked nuance and was too repetitive.

One of my favourite scenes:

Night is another candle

MBTI
    DEUS

Quote Originally Posted by Wixiw View Post
    I love Charlie Brooker, I used to watch his weekly and yearly wipes. IRL I wouldn't be able to tolerate his level of cynicism and bitterness but he's just too entertaining and intelligent not too watch. I started this series with no knowledge of its genre, tone or structure and I was pleasantly surprised. On the one hand, of course Brooker would create a dystopian series but it's completely not what I expected. My favourite episodes were Fifteen Million Merits, The Entire History of You, Be Right Back and White Christmas. I thought the first episode was funny but I didn't find it as impactful and it didn't really motivate me to watch the others and episode 6 - The Waldo Moment was easily the poorest of the lot.
    Tonight on Who's Who: Charlie Brooker or Jared Harris?

‘Many novelties have come from America. The most startling of these, a thing without precedent, is a mass of undignified poor. They do not love one another because they do not love themselves.’

‘And we will have made great strides in equality,
    when few have too much and fewer too little.’.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Tonight on Who's Who: Charlie Brooker or Jared Harris?
    No way, they have different features, here:

Still think they're clones?
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Season Three has released now -- six new episodes, each about an hour long. (The last one is 1.5 hours.)

One thing I like is how they utilize both decent-quality unknowns + some actors who are decently known but not necessarily "celebrities" (Bryce Dallas Howard, Cherry Jones, Alice Eve, Jerome Flynn, Wyatt Russell, Kelly McDonald, Alex Lawther, etc).

So far I've watched "Nosedive" and "Shut up and Dance." Both feel pretty relevant in terms of their comments on current social tech. "Nosedive" is a bit more sporadic -- some moments are really really good, but it feels like it goes off the rails back and forth, after the first 20-25 minutes. "Shut up and Dance" is very solid throughout.

(Nosedive deals with the perils of "swipe" popularity if it ever becomes tied to finances and occupation, and how much people modify who they are in order to win Likes / high scores from others -- just another ruthless form of acquiring social power -- but it's a bit on the nose. Shut up and Dance revolves around how people can be manipulated when their online secrets have been acquired by people willing to exploit them and to what lengths people will go to protect those secrets.)

I'm not sure the hour-long format is the best; while Shut up and Dance seemed to fit the allotted time, Nosedive felt a little padded.

Anyway, compared to the other existing seven episodes, so far this has been in the same range of quality... ranging from decent to very good. But I have four yet to go.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

@Totenkindly

I'm at episode 5 right now. I had been concerned how the transition to Netflix and significantly larger budget would impact the show and have been DELIGHTED with what I've seen so far.

Nosedive and San Junipero have been my favorite so far. My life would be in shambles if I lived in the world described in Nosedive, but found it to be super thought provoking nonetheless. God I love this show.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Nosedive and San Junipero have been my favorite so far. My life would be in shambles if I lived in the world described in Nosedive, but found it to be super thought provoking nonetheless. God I love this show.
    Yeah, I couldn't help but see some kind of comparison there (as far as MBTI goes) to hyper-Fe vs hyper-Fi at the other end. But hyper-Fe is the main area of abuse since it's the main offender with social Likes, it was certainly making me ill with it being both a trap and a form of manipulation. Not surprised to see Cherry Jones cast the way she was, lol; that's a typical part for her. (and Dallas Bryce Howard definitely has THAT character type down pretty well too.) It went up and down for me in terms of staying focused, although I think it ended on a rather cool note.

Not to complain. It's worth watching. Good to hear it sounds like the rest of the episodes are up there too.

It's funny reading about it on Rotten Tomatoes. A lot of folks liked the quality, then you get one outlier review every so often that says how bad it's gotten. Like... whut? Okay. I guess you either like the style or you don't.

Oh, and with Kenny in "Shut up and Dance":

Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post