• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black Mirror (UK)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was easily the most intense episode.
The tone differs from piece to piece; that's what makes it interesting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The episodes so far:
The National Anthem
Fifteen Million Merits
The Entire History of You
Be Right Back
White Bear
The Waldo Moment
The Christmas Special

The ones in red are my favorite.
I actually liked The National Anthem, but it put some people off.

The Waldo Moment is probably the worst (i.e., just boring/contrived) episode out there. I mean, the overall idea they're trying to convey is fine, but the episode itself just is blah.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watched this series about a year ago and I did very much enjoy it. I'd have to say my favorite episodes are The National Anthem, The Entire History of You and Be Right Back.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I love Charlie Brooker, I used to watch his weekly and yearly wipes. IRL I wouldn't be able to tolerate his level of cynicism and bitterness but he's just too entertaining and intelligent not too watch. I started this series with no knowledge of its genre, tone or structure and I was pleasantly surprised. On the one hand, of course Brooker would create a dystopian series but it's completely not what I expected. My favourite episodes were Fifteen Million Merits, The Entire History of You, Be Right Back and White Christmas. I thought the first episode was funny but I didn't find it as impactful and it didn't really motivate me to watch the others and episode 6 - The Waldo Moment was easily the poorest of the lot.

The pacing of White Bear was great, totally enthralling but I thought the delivery of its points lacked nuance and was too repetitive.

One of my favourite scenes:

Adam

MBTI Type
DEUS
I love Charlie Brooker, I used to watch his weekly and yearly wipes. IRL I wouldn't be able to tolerate his level of cynicism and bitterness but he's just too entertaining and intelligent not too watch. I started this series with no knowledge of its genre, tone or structure and I was pleasantly surprised. On the one hand, of course Brooker would create a dystopian series but it's completely not what I expected. My favourite episodes were Fifteen Million Merits, The Entire History of You, Be Right Back and White Christmas. I thought the first episode was funny but I didn't find it as impactful and it didn't really motivate me to watch the others and episode 6 - The Waldo Moment was easily the poorest of the lot.

Tonight on Who's Who: Charlie Brooker or Jared Harris?

RE6hyjT.jpg

BwC8TqH.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season Three has released now -- six new episodes, each about an hour long. (The last one is 1.5 hours.)

One thing I like is how they utilize both decent-quality unknowns + some actors who are decently known but not necessarily "celebrities" (Bryce Dallas Howard, Cherry Jones, Alice Eve, Jerome Flynn, Wyatt Russell, Kelly McDonald, Alex Lawther, etc).

So far I've watched "Nosedive" and "Shut up and Dance." Both feel pretty relevant in terms of their comments on current social tech. "Nosedive" is a bit more sporadic -- some moments are really really good, but it feels like it goes off the rails back and forth, after the first 20-25 minutes. "Shut up and Dance" is very solid throughout.

(Nosedive deals with the perils of "swipe" popularity if it ever becomes tied to finances and occupation, and how much people modify who they are in order to win Likes / high scores from others -- just another ruthless form of acquiring social power -- but it's a bit on the nose. Shut up and Dance revolves around how people can be manipulated when their online secrets have been acquired by people willing to exploit them and to what lengths people will go to protect those secrets.)

I'm not sure the hour-long format is the best; while Shut up and Dance seemed to fit the allotted time, Nosedive felt a little padded.

Anyway, compared to the other existing seven episodes, so far this has been in the same range of quality... ranging from decent to very good. But I have four yet to go.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]

I'm at episode 5 right now. I had been concerned how the transition to Netflix and significantly larger budget would impact the show and have been DELIGHTED with what I've seen so far.

Nosedive and San Junipero have been my favorite so far. My life would be in shambles if I lived in the world described in Nosedive, but found it to be super thought provoking nonetheless. God I love this show.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nosedive and San Junipero have been my favorite so far. My life would be in shambles if I lived in the world described in Nosedive, but found it to be super thought provoking nonetheless. God I love this show.

Yeah, I couldn't help but see some kind of comparison there (as far as MBTI goes) to hyper-Fe vs hyper-Fi at the other end. But hyper-Fe is the main area of abuse since it's the main offender with social Likes, it was certainly making me ill with it being both a trap and a form of manipulation. Not surprised to see Cherry Jones cast the way she was, lol; that's a typical part for her. (and Dallas Bryce Howard definitely has THAT character type down pretty well too.) It went up and down for me in terms of staying focused, although I think it ended on a rather cool note.

Not to complain. It's worth watching. Good to hear it sounds like the rest of the episodes are up there too.

It's funny reading about it on Rotten Tomatoes. A lot of folks liked the quality, then you get one outlier review every so often that says how bad it's gotten. Like... whut? Okay. I guess you either like the style or you don't.

Oh, and with Kenny in "Shut up and Dance":

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION]

Just watched San Junipero. Yes, that's easily the best of the bunch so far. I teared up a few times while watching. It was so strongly written, and there is truth from various perspectives there. The actors have done a number of things but nothing I much remember seeing. I have also had some similar experiences in a similar setting (just more on the friendship level).

also, I was having Introversion attacks watching Yorkie in the first 10-15 minutes. That's exactly what it feels like, feeling completely out of place, wanting things but feeling powerless to do anything about it and maybe even articulating them, feeling like the rest of the world has a script to follow that I have never read.

EDIT: ... and there are those tricks you use as an introvert, like hovering around someone, mirroring them a bit, forging indirect connections (like ordering the same drink the other person bought for you and/or is drinking themselves), making what eye contact you have.

Also, real spoilers, since I am watching it again due to liking the episode so much -- there's details that pop up that I missed on first pass since I had no context. Don't read until you've seen the episode:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I couldn't help but see some kind of comparison there (as far as MBTI goes) to hyper-Fe vs hyper-Fi at the other end. But hyper-Fe is the main area of abuse since it's the main offender with social Likes, it was certainly making me ill with it being both a trap and a form of manipulation. Not surprised to see Cherry Jones cast the way she was, lol; that's a typical part for her. (and Dallas Bryce Howard definitely has THAT character type down pretty well too.) It went up and down for me in terms of staying focused, although I think it ended on a rather cool note.

I didn't recognize her as I dodged Jurassic World. I feel like she did a really great job in the episode. What was interesting to me about Nosedive was that for all that it's distinctly horrifying at first glance...how different is it from the way we're already living?

It's very easy to see social networks taking a more formal place in socio-economic interaction. Rideshare apps already do some version of this. If a driver falls below 3 stars on Uber, for instance, they can't drive any more. I think one of the biggest cultural divides between people in their mid/late twenties and people in their early twenties and younger now is just how embed social is into their overall interaction with each other. I have cousins who are in high school who talk about friends getting into fights because one kid didn't like the other's post when they were supposed to.

Not to complain. It's worth watching. Good to hear it sounds like the rest of the episodes are up there too.

I finished the rest of the series as of now, I'd rank the episodes like this:

1. San Junipero
  2. Men Against Fire
  3. Hated in the Nation
  4. Nose Dive
  5. Shut Up and Dance
  6. Playtest

Men Against Fire was the most terrifying to me. It's the 5th episode and was just a lot. Probably this season's White Bear. Hated in the Nation was kind of weak right until they get to the point and then it's devastating. I don't know if it needed to be an hour and a half, but it highlights one of my favorite things about this show which is that help is never on its way. They commit to a premise and they play it out. Period.

Oh, and with Kenny in "Shut up and Dance":

Just watched San Junipero. Yes, that's easily the best of the bunch so far. I teared up a few times while watching. It was so strongly written, and there is truth from various perspectives there. The actors have done a number of things but nothing I much remember seeing. I have also had some similar experiences in a similar setting (just more on the friendship level).

Oh my god that episode. The two women actually reminded me a lot of me and my ISTP roommate in terms of looks and their interaction. We're not intimate but it brought an extra level of visceral something to the episode for me.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw is extraordinary. I'd seen her in Belle several years ago and fell in love with her then. She's had some interesting projects over the past few years, including Beyond the Lights where she costars with Nate Parker. It was something I'd been meaning to see but had put off but am interested again just to see if Parker has enough talent to back up most of the nonsense he pops off about.

also, I was having Introversion attacks watching Yorkie in the first 10-15 minutes. That's exactly what it feels like, feeling completely out of place, wanting things but feeling powerless to do anything about it and maybe even articulating them, feeling like the rest of the world has a script to follow that I have never read.

:hug:

I liked how complex both characters are. From the other side, I feel like Kelly could have very easily been reduced to some Manic Pixie Dream Girl sort, but she wasn't. There was just a lot of love in that story...even though it was still fucking horrifying lol.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Damnit, why am I always running behind on you guys. :beathorse:

I only saw "nosedive", just yesterday, and very impressed once again. That one is particular creepy cause that undoubtedly is where we are heading to.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished "Men Against Fire" -- this one's not a far cry from other episodes we've seen, and taking the same concepts and expanding them a bit. It's not even far-fetched, it seems plausible for that to perhaps happen at some point in the future. Really decent episode.

I was happy to see Sarah Snook (Medina, the squad leader) as well as a few other actors I've seen in roles in other movies.

I'm gonna go back and watch Playtest before I watch the final episode, since I've heard Playtest might be the weakest and I want to end on a decent episode.

What I liked about "Shut up and Dance":

wind up rex said:
Men Against Fire was the most terrifying to me. It's the 5th episode and was just a lot. Probably this season's White Bear. Hated in the Nation was kind of weak right until they get to the point and then it's devastating. I don't know if it needed to be an hour and a half, but it highlights one of my favorite things about this show which is that help is never on its way. They commit to a premise and they play it out. Period.

Yes. Maybe that's a little dark, but I like that -- the whole point is, "Here is where it's going AND/OR could happen, and if it does, you're all pretty much fucked. Open your eyes before things get to that point and be willing to face the consequences if we allow things to go this far."

"Men Against Fire" didn't personally hit me that hard, I've seen similar movies/concepts that were worse. But it was still emotionally painful to see what Stripe's options were, and also to see what was happening, and feeling powerless to make any kind of change because how do you possibly find support and defeat that kind of operation? As you note, there's a real sense of helplessness here: We're all isolated and weak within the machine, and how can the machine ever be overcome? it becomes bigger than anyone and takes on life of its own.

Man, I love this show. At least there's a Season 4 already planned.

I think the Christmas episode is the most haunting for me:

I only saw "nosedive", just yesterday, and very impressed once again. That one is particular creepy cause that undoubtedly is where we are heading to.

Well, like Rex noted, we're kind of already there socially -- it's just not formalized yet + hooked into purchasing power, but it was so powerful because we already know the compulsion to do things simply in order to get Likes from people and build up social capital. It's definitely unsettling.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

EDIT: ... and there are those tricks you use as an introvert, like hovering around someone, mirroring them a bit, forging indirect connections (like ordering the same drink the other person bought for you and/or is drinking themselves), making what eye contact you have.

Also, real spoilers, since I am watching it again due to liking the episode so much -- there's details that pop up that I missed on first pass since I had no context. Don't read until you've seen the episode:

Oh I just watched this, I thought it was a pretty beautiful episode. Virtual dating ... and finding love.... the possibilities are wonderful... uh i love romance!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched Playtest. I agree it's the weakest episode of the bunch so far. (That just leaves me with the last one to watch.)

Sure, some of the banter is great. And I didn't know who Wyatt Russell was, but as soon as I saw him, I was like, "Dang, that's got to be Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's kid." And yes, he is. Mom's blonde locks, Dad's face and manner.

There are various issues, though (and actual spoilers here):

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I watched Playtest. I agree it's the weakest episode of the bunch so far. (That just leaves me with the last one to watch.)

Sure, some of the banter is great. And I didn't know who Wyatt Russell was, but as soon as I saw him, I was like, "Dang, that's got to be Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's kid." And yes, he is. Mom's blonde locks, Dad's face and manner.

There are various issues, though (and actual spoilers here):

Saw it yesterday too. Only second episode I've seen of S3 (unlike you -apparently- I'm watching it in order :D).

Didn't know the main character is the son of Russell and Hawn. He sure has looks and charisma. If only he had a female counterpart...oh wait Kate Hudson :D.

I so love this series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw it yesterday too. Only second episode I've seen of S3 (unlike you -apparently- I'm watching it in order :D).

I know, I'm a cheater. :D

Didn't know the main character is the son of Russell and Hawn. He sure has looks and charisma. If only he had a female counterpart...oh wait Kate Hudson :D.

Some pairings have decent genes, I guess....

I so love this series.

I'm bummed I'm almost done. Apparently Netflix contracted for 12 episodes, so six are appearing in season 3 and the other six in season 4.

I'm about fifteen minutes into s03e06. That's the one with Kelly McDonald in it -- you have probably seen / heard her as Helena Ravenclaw (the ghost) in "Harry Potter 7.2" and as Merida in "Brave," but she's done a bunch of stuff. it's also got Benedict Wong (Sunshine, Kick-Ass 2, Prometheus, The Martian, etc) in it. Hilariously, I had no idea who Faye Marsay was (she plays Blue in this episode), except looking through her list she's The Waif in GoT -- I didn't recognize her at all.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I'm about fifteen minutes into s03e06. That's the one with Kelly McDonald in it -- you have probably seen / heard her as Helena Ravenclaw (the ghost) in "Harry Potter 7.2" and as Merida in "Brave," but she's done a bunch of stuff.

You're doing live commentary now ? :thumbup:

Oh yeah, the "chick" from Trainspotting !

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're doing live commentary now ? :thumbup:

Well, not quite live. I watched the first 15 minutes last night, but then it was 12:20am and I really needed to sleep so as to get to work today...

Oh yeah, the "chick" from Trainspotting !

Ah gotcha -- yeah, I haven't seen that movie for many years so I don't remember anyone except for maybe Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle... they were both in that, right? MOAH SCOTS