User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

I haven't seen it yet. I think I'm going either today or tomorrow. I'm not holding out much hopes, though. I thought the first one was pretty good, and I found the second to be quite disappointing. I predict the third will be a ridiculously over-the-top CGI extravaganza which bears very little resemblance to the book. But I have been more than happy with Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo, so I'm fairly confident that he, at least, won't let me down.

Has anyone else seen it? Care to share your thoughts? I don't think we really have to worry about spoilers. Most everyone knows how the book ends. I hope.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've tried to avoid specifics in the reviews. The general consensus is "solid enough to cap the trilogy" but not very spectacular otherwise. IOW, the whole sequence -- something that had the potential to be amazing, especially with Freeman as Bilbo, and he does elevate the movie immensely -- was just kind of another box-office thing to occupy a Friday night.

People are also saying the Hobbit movies work better as a prequel to The Lord of the Rings ... more of the "same" without being as good... rather than being standalone as much as they could have been. It honestly did feel that way, with Gandalf and Galadriel and especially Legolas playing so prominently, etc.

I think I saw the first Hobbit the weekend it came out, and I saw Hobbit 2 the second weekend. I'll probably see this one by early january, I guess. Or not.

-----

How does it end?

A. Martin Freeman wakes up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette and says, "Honey, I've just had the CRAZIEST dream."

B. Saruman and Gandalf and Sauron play POGs for the fate of Middle-Earth. Saruman cheats; Sauron refuses to concede; Gandalf blows smoke rings and wanders off for mushrooms.

C. Legolas shoots everything from his never-ending quiver and dings all the achievements.

D. Thorin whines about how the Arkenstone (hocked to Bard) is rightfully his. After luring the dwarf with gold, Thranduil has his elf warriors hold him down and he shaves off his beard. The orc army dies laughing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I just went to see it.

A big fan of the LOTR trilogy as I am and though I did not really enjoy the first and second of The Hobbit, I did like this final part. It could not measure up to any part of its first trilogy, but it was thorough, consistent, visually pleasing and, thank goodness, there was no cheesy lines or cheap humor like in the last the 2 preceding parts.

I personally think it makes some sense to me that The Hobbit was made the sequel. I can't imagine feeling intrigued enough to go to another 3 parts about The Ring fellowship and Doom after all of these wars from Bilbo's time. LOTR has built such incredible fan base that marketing for these weaker 3 parts was breeze.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

I liked the first two, not so much the third one. I found it a little disappointing, tbf.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    I liked the first two, not so much the third one. I found it a little disappointing, tbf.
    I saw it last night, and I would have to agree. It was all flash, and barely any substance. The battle sequences and special effects were over-blown and absurd, like Peter Jackson was obsessed with trying to one-up the original trilogy. But visual bling just couldn't make up for the fact that the plot was thin and incoherent, and the "emotional" drama was totally contrived. About halfway into the movie, I pretty much stopped caring about what happened to any of the characters. That never happened when I watched The Lord of the Rings.

And what was up with Billy Connelly's character being completely CGI, for NO REASON? What was the point of that?

The CGI extravaganza was thankfully brief with all the excitement over and done in the first 15mins of the movie. The rest? Pretty boring, zero character development, all action and not very good action at that. Kind of glad the whole saga is now over and done.

Another big Tolkien fan here.

I got a kick out of all three Hobbits, but no, they don't compare to the LotR. Best to think of them as a totally separate continuity and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    I personally think it makes some sense to me that The Hobbit was made the sequel. I can't imagine feeling intrigued enough to go to another 3 parts about The Ring fellowship and Doom after all of these wars from Bilbo's time. LOTR has built such incredible fan base that marketing for these weaker 3 parts was breeze.
    I've been thinking about what I would recommend if someone asked me which to watch first. The Hobbits seem like the natural choice, but as you point out this runs the risk of making a fresh viewer give up before getting to the good trilogy. (Though if they do make it to the good stuff, it'll be that much better in comparison...) So maybe I'd recommend watching the LotR first; but this isn't as chronologically satisfying, and runs the opposite risk. ("Why'd you build up my expectations with the LotR and then crush them with the Hobbits?!")

The only remaining option I can think of is "Watch the LotR first, and if you have time to kill afterwards, here are three prequels. It's best to think of them as a different genre!"

MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Probably the worst of The Hobbit trilogy and the worst of the Middle-Earth trilogy. It was a fun ending to it, but it wasn't that spectacular and overall quite disappointing, although I probably went in with high hopes because of previous middle-earth movies. I really feel like they should have made it into a two parter rather than expanding it to three movies and adding in a bunch of subplots which aren't that good. It's still a good movie though, definitely worth the watch if you've seen the previous hobbits and enjoy the middle-earth movies.

I would give it a 7/10, still a good movie, not-so-good send off the trilogy and a step down in quality.

^ Agreed.

Shit movie, but even though a hundred people told me it is a shitty movie I would have still watched it.

And now that I watched it and realized it's a shitty movie I would watch it again because I am a fan of the LOTRs and the Hobbit.

I think it was obvious they were exploiting their fan base when they made three movies out of that small book but it paid off, all three were successful earners.

They could have kept the class and the money if they made only 2. But then again that would have meant $500Mn less than what they would have earned, so fuck my logic I guess.

I wonder what Uber would have thought about this movie. Since I consistently disagreed with his reviews (I basically thought they sucked) I think it would be safe to assume he would like it.