123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default The Sony E-mail Hack -- Drama Queens

After the movie hacks, now the hackers are releasing chains of e-mails from well-known producers and studio execs. Today's drama consists mainly of stuff between well-known producer Scott Rudin and Sony big-wig exec Amy Pascal. Despite the amount of money these people deal with, this might as well be forum drama at its finest/worst.

“A $180 million ego bath”: All the Hollywood stereotypes the leaked Sony emails confirm - Salon.com

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/produce...860916897.html

Leaked: The Nightmare Email Drama Behind Sony's Steve Jobs Disaster

My response when I read it is a mix -- amusement, disgust, indifference. I mean, does anyone seriously believe that people who are accomplished in this field would survive and achieve anything without having large egos and acting aggressively to throw their weight around?

Does anyone have such a rose-colored view of reality that these types of conversations seem shocking in any way? It's more that we're just finally seeing the dirty laundry that we could already assume they were strewing around.

I think the comments about Fassbender are amusing. Sorkin doesn't even know who he is. WTF? It was also amusing seeing some agent/rep just about get down on his knees in front of Leonardo DiCaprio and pucker up in order to try to convince him to do the Jobs movie. Just... seriously? No wonder actors have big egos or feel like they are entitled to things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Cellmold, GarrotTheThief liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I had a similar reaction to you.

It's one of the reasons why I've always been wary, but curious, about the kinds of drives and ego indulgences involved in these arenas. In some ways it's helpful to have a big ego, it gives a person the delusional kick to push and fight for something, even if it isn't that important. A bit like how a kick of adrenaline in a dangerous situation can be rationalised after as "the will to survive" it's not true, but it is a convenient lie...just like an ego.

Sorry over focused on the ego there, but yeah I'm not too surprised by this.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I had a similar reaction to you.

It's one of the reasons why I've always been wary, but curious, about the kinds of drives and ego indulgences involved in these arenas. In some ways it's helpful to have a big ego, it gives a person the delusional kick to push and fight for something, even if it isn't that important. A bit like how a kick of adrenaline in a dangerous situation can be rationalised after as "the will to survive" it's not true, but it is a convenient lie...just like an ego.

Sorry over focused on the ego there, but yeah I'm not too surprised by this.
    No, that's fine.

It's just interesting -- here in the exterior world, we tend to focus on the actual outcome... the performances, the overall impact of the picture, the story, the feelings it generates. We talk about performance as brave, shallow, expansive, boring. So much is focused on the actors. It's easy to forget how much crap goes on just to even get the "team" together (all the workers, the studio backing, the money, the actors, the director, etc.)... how much jockeying, how many under-the-table deals, how much bitching and moaning and capitulating and manipulating. It's a much dirtier uglier business than many people realize, and sometimes it makes you wonder how a particularly good movie can ever come about or how new actors with talent actually manage to get their foot in the door. Also, when a lot of blame gets dumped on a director or writer or actor, maybe it could be understood that the failure of a movie might rest more on the producer and studio that shortchanged/strongarmed the crew and cast into a faulty vision that they personally were trying to avoid but couldn't.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes chickpea, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

-- Chapter 2 --

Awkward.
    Angelina Jolie Runs Into Sony's Amy Pascal After Email Leaks

And now comes all the predictable groveling. It sounds like they're even using a common template here. What's with this, "That's not who I really am" phrase? (That's gotten popular in the last decade.) Really? Actually, it just might be who you are.

If they believe what they said, then they need to stand by it... although perhaps say it in a way that doesn't come across as total douchebaggery. E-mail's not necessarily private, depending on what happens...It bugs me they said a bunch of stuff that they either believe or do personally find funny, while now trying to pretend they do not. All these prepackaged song-and-dance numbers meant to recover public face for oneself and one's associates...

Studio head, producer apologize for Jolie, Obama remarks - Yahoo News

I wonder if the Obama jokes would have been different if a standup comedian had made them, then launched into a "President Hillary" bit while listing a bunch of rom-coms she might be into (which is amusing since Hillary doesn't seem much of a rom-com'er) and then a bunch of "guy" movies that a male president would have stereotypically been into. Context can change how things are perceived.

EDIT: Wow. "Beginning the healing process"?

Pascal said one of the first calls she made today — after a leaked email exchange between her and producer Scott Rudin became the most buzzed-about topics in town and throughout the country — was to Jesse Jackson.

"It was a very preliminary conversation, and we just talked about getting together and hoping to discuss a healing process," Pascal said. Of being labeled a racist, she added, "I know it's not true. And I know that doesn't reflect who I am or what I feel or what I've done. That certainly doesn't reflect this studio and what we've done here."
    Amy Pascal Calls Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson: "I Want to Accept Responsibility" - Yahoo News

I do agree with her point here and perhaps is giving more context to the buzz phrase "that's not who I am":
    Pascal added: "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. You're being judged on things that you said in a 10-second frame that were stupid. And that's not my whole career and everything I've done. I'm concerned about that, but I'm also concerned about employees here who are being violated, and they're scared. They didn't do anything to deserve this. It's very unfair."

MBTI
    yupp

seems like some middle school drama if middle schoolers had access to large sums of money and production studios and actors
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I suspect with all the human factors involved it's a miracle some movies ever get made. Those e-mails are pretty much exactly what I imagine the behind-the-scenes wrangling to be. Actually, those ones might be tame. It will be a good reminder to a lot of people that e-mail is not a secure means of communication. I imagine there is a lot of mail server clean-up going on in other corporate offices right now ...

Also, when a lot of blame gets dumped on a director or writer or actor, maybe it could be understood that the failure of a movie might rest more on the producer and studio that shortchanged/strongarmed the crew and cast into a faulty vision that they personally were trying to avoid but couldn't.
    I think that's a great point.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

The comments about Angelina Jolie's $180m ego bath for the Cleopatra film had me laughing out loud.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The comments about Angelina Jolie's $180m ego bath for the Cleopatra film had me laughing out loud.
    It was pretty funny, aside from knowing he was gonna get blasted for saying that stuff.

Jolie's a decent actress within certain constraints -- she's one of the most legitimately "physical" female actors out there, kind of like Tom Cruise over on the male side, although I think Cruise has had far more versatile/serious roles than she has. Still, if the part is right, she can nail it (RE: Maleficent, the issues with that movie involved direction and script; Jolie did an excellent job with what she was handed).

Still, I can see the basis for some of those comments.

---

Oh, and look -- now there's a Tinder squabble unfolding in public media due to the jilted partner's lawsuit hitting the court.

Every Text from the Tinder Sexual Harassment Lawsuit

Along with e-mails, you can apparently add text messages to the list of items it's not okay to behave like a shithead with because one day everyone will read them, if they're bad enough and/or you're high-up enough.

I feel bad for the judge.
    EDIT: Oh, maybe it was settled:
    Whitney Wolfe Settles Sexual Harassment Tinder Lawsuit For Just Over $1 Million - Business Insider

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The stories are stupid but the hack is I believe quite serious. It is more of an indictment of our modern media than anything else. No pun intended.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I can't believe the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching over the content of these emails. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see how this is any different from what normal people might write in emails they consider private. It's embarrassing that they were revealed, but seriously, who hasn't said similar things about other people? I think it's dangerous to make broad assumptions about character from these leaks.

The part that really IS damaging is that people are going to lose jobs over this, jobs they don't deserve to lose.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari
    Likes Totenkindly, GarrotTheThief, Opal liked this post