User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default what kind of music did your parents listen to?

what kind of music did your parents/parental figures listen to when you were growing up? do you think it influenced your taste in music?

I've noticed that a lot of people in my age group inherited a whole 80s rock nostalgia thing that I totally missed out on. my mom was a) slightly snobbish and b) kept up with newer music even though she was older so I was a lot more influenced by 90s alt rock. older than that she liked REM, violent femmes, Elvis Costello, that kind of stuff. I realized the other night that my boyfriend has a very limited knowledge of rock music, his mom listened to more soul and r&b and the only rock album he had in his house was Fleetwood Mac. I tried to give him a little history lesson.

anyway, post videos of your childhood music too! it'll be fun!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My parents listened to:
    - Opera and classical
    - Easy listening
    - Easy listening Christian
    - Musicals

Pretty much I was on my own, although they let me listen to pop and top 40 rock and comedy records and stuff. My biggest regret from my childhood in the 70's is that I missed out on actual influential rock of the time (like Jethro Tull and Alice Cooper, etc.) since I didn't get exposed to it in my immediate environment.

I've always hated 50's music.

Pretty much I still find myself listening to 70's and 80's music (I was just going through all my old Alan Parsons stuff yesterday -- lots of stuff that didn't hit the radio), and I like opera and classical but rarely listen to it. I also like musicals. But I listen to a wide variety in passing -- if I hear a song I like regardless of genre, I snag it. (Deftones, Civil Twilight, etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

my dad: bluegrass
    old school country (think like johnny cash and i don't know a lot of bands, he actually hated pop country and the country that came out nashville)
    rock and roll
    blues
    jazz
    bright eyes (i didn't think he'd like it he hated 99% of my music but really liked that)
    local music
    classic rock

my mom:
    50s doo wop
    the beatles or anything that sounds similar
    stuff produced by stax and mo-town
    destiny's child (that was my fault i played a cd when i was 12 in the car and she fell in love)
    classic rock
    hippy music (like buffalo springfield, not the grateful dead, or jimi hendrix)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

'Oldies', which I'm not sure even exists as a classification, Motown and my mom had a thing for The Carpenters, Gloria Estefan, Crystal Gayle and country music.

As far as how it influenced me. Well, I actually do like the Carpenters, I'm willing to listen to some country, but not the stuff my mom liked. And, how could you be human and not like Motown and Richie Valens? But, it's only a very small part of my very eclectic musical tastes.

Oldies... esp 60s music.

They also had a CDs collection of "great orchestral melodies" or something, so we got exposed to about 4 discs worth of classical music.

Also, on the weekends, my dad would put on Bruce Springsteen and we would do yard work. Hahaha.

He has recently started listening to country music. So that is... interesting.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

@chickpea... I feel like your friends' parents are waaaaaay younger than my parents somehow, if the parents came of age in the 80s.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    @chickpea... I feel like your friends' parents are waaaaaay younger than my parents somehow, if the parents came of age in the 80s.
    nah, my mom graduated high school in '75! she just always listened to newer music, even now in her 50s she still keeps up a little bit. she was definitely into the music of her time, led zeppelin and whatnot, but didn't listen to it all that much with me. my dad was a lot less trendy, but was more into movies than music anyway.
    Likes gromit liked this post

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

My dad's favorite band has always been the Beatles. He was in a band when I was young, and they played mostly oldies/classic rock. I also grew up in the church, and my dad was always involved in the music there too, so a lot of church songs.

Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, Buddy Holly, The Doors, Talking Heads all remind me of my parents.

Also my parents were DJs for weddings and stuff for a good 10 years while my sisters and I were in school as a side job. (My dad's like the King of side gigs) This was during the CD days, so they had like billions of CDs. We listened to all kinds of stuff.

My dad introduced me to weezer, haha.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    what kind of music did your parents/parental figures listen to when you were growing up? do you think it influenced your taste in music?
    My mum and dad mainly listen to late 70s and 80s rock music seeing that's what they were exposed to growing up. My dad took a paper on Russian music for extra points in his degree though, and he said that really opened his eyes to the power of an orchestra. My parents never started listening to Classical style music until I was 10, when my dad bought a CD of Beethoven's 6th symphony. One of my strongest early memories is listening to it when we were driving through the Roxburgh Valley - @Deceptive and @Southern Kross will know where I mean. The scene was so fitting and the music really impressed me. Both pairs of grandparents are obsessed with opera, especially Italian opera (Verdi, Puccini etc) which I can't stand.

A lot of my musical tastes and ideas were inborn I guess. Nobody in my family really liked Mozart's music that much until I started playing pretty much every composition he wrote on the stereo, courtesy of my iPod (and learned the piano sonatas), and I've introduced my dad to Haydn, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms and Dvorak and expanded his knowledge of Beethoven a lot. Good luck getting my mum to sing much except John Mellencamp though, unless you play something by the Dixie Chicks My dad is a lot smarter than her and more open-minded, though mum thinks she is because she refuses to take a side in almost anything...that's Fe for you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    anyway, post videos of your childhood music too! it'll be fun!
    OK.

And this is the Beethoven piece I was talking about:
    Likes Raffaella liked this post

Over the course of most of my childhood my parents mostly listened to country, although my dad listened to orchestral and classical stuff every once in a while which definitely stuck with me. As far as I know my mother still listens to country, and I haven't the foggiest idea what my dad listens to.