• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I agreed with almost all of the points the video-maker in Crabs' link mentioned. I guess I should put this in spoiler tags...

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
We're basically all agreeing that this movie was enjoyable to watch but generally sucked and was over hyped.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're basically all agreeing that this movie was enjoyable to watch but generally sucked and was over hyped.

I didn't think it sucked. I just think the criticisms are valid. A thing can have flaws and still be good.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I thought it was freakin awesome. I didn't see the hype though... & never watch trailers ... so ... could be why i didn't get the hype.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Soo coming back to my constructive review. Here are some random thoughts.

There is atmosphere similar to old movies :D which I like. Emphasis on the characters, dialogues and action.

The plot is a bit lame. I mean it’s quite simple, they try to find Luke and bad guys are trying to kill them. I laughed a little that 2nd part will be on the hill with Luke and 3rd will be Luke coming home.
Still it didn’t bother me much, because it was fun.

I liked seeing old characters, still hoped it will not be mostly about them, it could destroy the new film. I think though they balanced it well enough. It was tribute to old trilogy and their fans, but hopefully started something new too.

I see some plots are repeated, what's more I think that new characters in the way are replacing old onces.
Ray is suppose to replace Luke.
Poe is suppose to replace Han Solo

Ben/Kylo Ren is clearly a replacement for Anakin/Dark Vader. Will he come to the light side and die too? Very likely
Finn is something new , which is good.
There is no replacement for Yoda. I kind of have some hope that Maz Kanata survived- she looked as someone weird and funny enough (sorry Master Yoda). Apparently saying that she woke up somewhere and there was no one would be explanation good enough, so…

Aw the new robot is cute.

Also I hope that Ray isn't the Luke daughter (too much of family story) and she is just new strong force in the universe, but we'll see.

To sum up, the plot is far from being perfect, but it’s still good movie and promising beginning of the story.

Edit: Also I'm not sure how someone as emotionally unstable as Kylo Ren is able to use any force...

Last edited:

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I saw it in 3D yesterday, and the effect was very well done....I would highly recommend people watch it in imax, even if they've seen it already.

Brief thoughts: WARNING, MINOR SPOLIERS

I'm glad I was already burnt out on certain George Lucas and EU plot elements, I was able to watch it without my inner fanboy raging at any of the changes or plot decisions. In my mind, there is no longer any canon, just alternate realities.

Poe seems like a combination of Han Solo and Wedge Antilles....I'm cool with that, I hope he gets a lot more screen time in the sequels.

I love Rey, but I confess I often have a thing for Mary Sues. Anyway, she's my favorite new character (Poe and the impractically designed robot are tied for second).

Finn was okay, I liked the less-than-bad-ass direction they took, but he also had some....questionable moments.

Ben was underwhelming, I hope he becomes a Dark Side bad-ass after committing a certain act.

Very much like Episode IV; there will probably be a backlash for towards the thin characterization, moral simplicity and regurgitated elements.....but there was no Jar-Jar Binks or emo adolescent Anakin Skywalker to poison most of the movie. Not as good as the originals, but better than the prequels (aside from the lightsaber duels).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked Kanata. As I said, the movie is at its best when it really embraces the new characters. It dragged when it focused too much on old characters.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When Han was using Chewie's blaster, that was another instance of fan service where I felt Han was playing the role of fanboy thrown in the film. I found it hard to believe he'd never once used Chewie's rifle after decades together.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When Han was using Chewie's blaster, that was another instance of fan service where I felt Han was playing the role of fanboy thrown in the film. I found it hard to believe he'd never once used Chewie's rifle after decades together.

That annoyed me. That was JJ Abrams being himself.....

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

It never occurred to me, but it is extremely unlikely. He would have used it at least once. But yeah, I think the stuff with Han Solo is the biggest problem with the film.

He's put in there as an answer to fan complaints about the lack of a similar character in the prequels, but the way it's written doesn't really make sense to me. His entire character development is just ignored and he's basically the way he was when he first met him. It felt off to me. I don't buy the fact that he went back to being a smuggler. They just put that in there because that was the version of the character the fans most wanted to see... the guy that would "shoot first."

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also I hope that Ray isn't the Luke daughter (too much of family story) and she is just new strong force in the universe, but we'll see.

I read a theory somewhere that she's a Kenobi.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a Te/Fe thing. Te users enjoy the prequels because the total lack of characterization and interpersonal relationship dynamics doesn't bother them. They're more interested in broad, diverse, political dynamics (see also: game of thrones). To Te/Fi users 'more information in general' is more important than how, or how much of it, is presented. I got into an argument with an INTJ over how interesting of a character qui gon jin was. He seemed to have some pretty in depth knowledge on the character after having researched him through means I'm unaware of, and building an idea of the character in his head based on his role, his actions, and so forth. As a derpy Fe user, all I can use to get information on a character is how they interact with other characters. There is so much more of this going on in the Force Awakens than any of the prequels. I think you're generally likely to find the divide between favoring TFA/the original trilogy and the prequels to be along Te/Fi - Fe/Ti lines. [...]

I disagree with your generalization in that just about every scene of the prequels was actively painful because of the bad writing, acting, and lack of enough portrayed humanity to even approach being relatable fictional characters. I did get that there was complexity on a big scale going on in the prequels, but I couldn't bring myself to care. "The Force Awakens" at least manages to introduce characters I care about. (And some of my FJ friends seem to be more forgiving of what I consider to be bad acting or unrealistic characterization than I do... but perhaps that's more about me than my type?)

I do agree with critiques about the plot being overly derivative. I also agree that there are FAR too many fortunate coincidence. Some might be explained away by Finn being force sensitive (so is guided by the force, even if he doesn't control it). I also agree that Rey seems overly accomplished... some of that can be explained by her having to learn to survive on her own, and I could also see a backstory in which she was one of the children who received Jedi training when very young. Alternatively, she could just be a supremely gifted "natural" in the force (which should prove to have its own problems).

At any rate, I enjoy TFA a great deal, even though I thought it was flawed in some ways. Certainly miles ahead of the prequels in all the ways that count.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]

I mean I feel like the movie was fun to watch but I would probably never watch it again.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I thought the most annoying fan service moment was when Han corrected Rey on exactly how many parsecs he made the Kessel run in. I assumed the kessel run was some kind of smuggling route way back in the day (before even IV), how the hell does Rey even know about it- let alone know enough about what it entails to be impressed? How is it still relevant at all? It was just thrown in there so the nerds could beat off to a moment of watching their hero be like them and correct other people's quotes. :glasses:

Crabs

Permabanned
I'm glad that Hayden Christensen is rumored to be in Episode 8. May the Force be with him.
:vader1:

I love how whiny people get when complaining about how whiny Anakin was.

I read a theory somewhere that she's a Kenobi.

Wouldn't that mean that Obi did the dirty and violated Jedi regulations to abstain from secks?

I thought the same thing when I saw that scene.

On a random note, the actress who plays Rey reminds me a lot of Kiera Knightley, particularly her smile.

I'd also like to see the Star Trek Federation enter the Star Wars universe in some sort of interdimensional rift.

Crabs

Permabanned
According to Reddit, Jedi are unable to marry, but aren't technically prohibited from boning.

Here's the article I read about it: Rey is a Kenobi.

So the Jedi can have as much casual, meaningless sex as they want, as long as they don't fall in love or become emotionally attached?

I think Anakin was right about the Jedi. THEY are the agents of the dark side.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So the Jedi can have as much casual, meaningless sex as they want, as long as they don't fall in love or become emotionally attached?

From now on, instead of some long-winded, half-hearted excuse for my emotional unavailability, I will simply start telling people, "Look, I'm a Jedi. I should have been more upfront about how strong the Force is in my family."