• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram

This is the problem with all consistent universes whose dealings are with near-omnipotent forces, pacing the bar of antagonists' capabilities. Pretty sure the death star put that one sky high, if the threats in the SW:EU are anything to go by.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw this in 3d at the cinema and was totally taken in, I had worried it would be a terrible over animated over cgi'd over coloured feeble attempt as were some of the other later ones... the first one came out around the time I was born and the first three (i think) were awesome... when the more recent ones came out in the 2000's somewhere i think i lost all interest.... so happy they returned to some of the original cast ... honestly I shed a tear when I saw the millennium falcon ... I will probably go to see it with my mother again ... she's another enfp and loves sic fi fantasy

Oh also loved that the girl was unforgivingly capable, was really sad that Han appeared to die... can he be brought back for the next episode please?... I imagine he was caught by some net and was rescued by a medic who transported him to another planet in an escape pod. Also I'd like rey to be Han and Leah's daughter... it makes sense...

The super death star planet was a bit of a let down... rehash supreme.... something new maybe?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

His critique is quite valid but I liked the movie anyway. I also really like the prequels which he slams. I think Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith is the best of all the Star Wars movies, followed by Empire Strikes Back.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
His critique is quite valid but I liked the movie anyway. I also really like the prequels which he slams. I think Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith is the best of all the Star Wars movies, followed by Empire Strikes Back.

I think his critique is valid. The first movie of every Star Wars trilogy will feature a desert planet with a droid and unknown young force user.

The prequel trilogy seemed to be inferior filmmaking overall, with pacing and emotion just not right, unlike the original trilogy.

Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequel trilogy, but I found the politics simplistic at best. George tried to hard to make an Iraq War analogy. The Padme-Anakin relationship never felt real to me and Anakin's descent into the Dark Side left me wanting.

I did find this article on Marcia Lucas to me enlightening and ring true. The original trilogy had many little touches that the prequel trilogy lacked.

SW7 seems to have those little touches, but not to the extent of the original trilogy.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think his critique is valid. The first movie of every Star Wars trilogy will feature a desert planet with a droid and unknown young force user.

The prequel trilogy seemed to be inferior filmmaking overall, with pacing and emotion just not right, unlike the original trilogy.

Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequel trilogy, but I found the politics simplistic at best. George tried to hard to make an Iraq War analogy. The Padme-Anakin relationship never felt real to me and Anakin's descent into the Dark Side left me wanting.

I did find this article on Marcia Lucas to me enlightening and ring true. The original trilogy had many little touches that the prequel trilogy lacked.

SW7 seems to have those little touches, but not to the extent of the original trilogy.

There was such a huge deal about it but I didn't even think the first Star Wars movie was that great. Empire Strikes Back was really good. I was not a fan of of the third one. I honestly think the prequels were better than the original ones except for Empire Strikes Back.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

I'm with you here. I did enjoy the visual feast of the movie. I did like and think the movie was well made. But I also think that as a story it was really, really bad...I mean this myth has pretty much been reduced to Toy Story levels.

Crabs

Permabanned

I agree about the prequels. People started jumping on the prequel-bashing bandwagon because it was popular to do. Not that they were flawless, but the stories were more intriguing than this one by a long shot.

We don't even know why Ren was seduced by the dark side. Maybe they'll elaborate on that in the sequels, but with Anakin, his mother died and he feared losing his wife. He was emotionally tortured and you could see his transition from Jedi to Sith. I don't even recall them offering a reason why Ren chose the dark side. Seems George Lucas was not pleased with the movie either.

George Lucas criticizes latest Star Wars Installment

Lark

I thought it was a great film, played out a little expectedly but that was fine. I like the soundtrack, tunes, familiar/iconic ships and things.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone of you know who this sith lord is? He seems really ancient/old. According to star wars however there can be only 2 sith lords at any given time. So who is this sith lord who was born after the death of sidious and vader which makes him less than 30 years old? Wait perhaps he was merely made a sith after the death of those two. So it couldd be he is a thousand years old but was only made a sith recently.

Sigh it was not jarjar binks.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anyone of you know who this sith lord is? He seems really ancient/old. According to star wars however there can be only 2 sith lords at any given time. So who is this sith lord who was born after the death of sidious and vader which makes him less than 30 years old? Wait perhaps he was merely made a sith after the death of those two. So it couldd be he is a thousand years old but was only made a sith recently.

At various times, there were more Sith than two. (I am not a fanboy, but had a 16 year old fanboy educate me on the intricacies of Sith this week when I was on a Boy Scout camp out). By limiting the number of Sith Lords, each has greater power, or so I was told. It was all Expanded Universe shit and I was only half listening to the the explanation, so Disney can change all of it.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There was such a huge deal about it but I didn't even think the first Star Wars movie was that great. Empire Strikes Back was really good. I was not a fan of of the third one. I honestly think the prequels were better than the original ones except for Empire Strikes Back.

It's a Te/Fe thing. Te users enjoy the prequels because the total lack of characterization and interpersonal relationship dynamics doesn't bother them. They're more interested in broad, diverse, political dynamics (see also: game of thrones). To Te/Fi users 'more information in general' is more important than how, or how much of it, is presented. I got into an argument with an INTJ over how interesting of a character qui gon jin was. He seemed to have some pretty in depth knowledge on the character after having researched him through means I'm unaware of, and building an idea of the character in his head based on his role, his actions, and so forth. As a derpy Fe user, all I can use to get information on a character is how they interact with other characters. There is so much more of this going on in the Force Awakens than any of the prequels. I think you're generally likely to find the divide between favoring TFA/the original trilogy and the prequels to be along Te/Fi - Fe/Ti lines.

The Fe part of me was satisfied with the new film (tremendously satisfied), but the Ti/Si part of me was a bit under-stimulated (Abrams is all about the big Se and micro Ti). I liked the light saber battles because they seemed appropriately like a bunch of amateurs beating on each other with strange weapons, but I thought the aerial battles were the same contemporary 'facefucked-with-Se' incomprehensible messes that most other modern CGI fight sequences are made of. When they were boasting a return to retro form with this movie I really hoped they meant it with the action scenes as well as the emotionally resonating scenes (agree that Han's death was not one of these, btw, but there were plenty of smaller yet more impactful ones). I like a chance to understand just wtf is going on, mechanically, in action scenes that involve mechanics. I want to feel the distance between the pilot and his craft, and get a sense of his skill by measuring that distance. A New Hope did a great job of pacing the battle and building tension. Most of the pilots that get killed off (also wish there was much more 'pilots getting engulfed in flames in their cockpits' in the new one) have a few lines of humanizing dialogue before they get killed, so their deaths carry a bit more weight. Example:

Wedge: "Look at the size of that thing..." (conveys fear/trepidation)
Captain: "Cut the chatter, Red-2...." (conveys fear/courage/leadership)

Maybe if Harrison Ford could still act well enough to deliver anything humanizing his death wouldn't have been wasted too.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram

It could be a true Sith, the species, who came out of hiding to restore the dark side after palpatine's passing. That's my thought.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree about the prequels. People started jumping on the prequel-bashing bandwagon because it was popular to do. Not that they were flawless, but the stories were more intriguing than this one by a long shot.

We don't even know why Ren was seduced by the dark side. Maybe they'll elaborate on that in the sequels, but with Anakin, his mother died and he feared losing his wife. He was emotionally tortured and you could see his transition from Jedi to Sith. I don't even recall them offering a reason why Ren chose the dark side. Seems George Lucas was not pleased with the movie either.

George Lucas criticizes latest Star Wars Installment

I agree on the Hans Solo thing. That part was weird. Lucas seemed to recant his statements by the way a couple days later. I guess when you sell a business you created for 4 Billion dollars, you can't be too unhappy.

"I want to clarify my interview on the Charlie Rose Show. It was for the Kennedy Center Honors and conducted prior to the premiere of the film. I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize. I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger’s leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks. Most of all I’m blown away with the record breaking blockbuster success of the new movie and am very proud of (J.J. Abrams) and (Kathleen Kennedy)."

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people who enjoy Star Wars will enjoy this film. Doesnt make it a great movie, but it will make it an exceptionally lucerative one.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The movie was OK. It felt like an adaptation of Star Wars. Threw way too many plot points like the film had to be rushed. It was cute. I found the movie funny because of silly acting.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Sith lords have had different policies over the years regarding how many of them there could be, and not everyone on the dark side is a Sith Lord.