User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I love that the first words spoken were "Real sets."

Say what you will about Abrams, but I appreciate that he uses models and real sets when he has the chance. It will contribute to the gritty realism present in the OT but was lacking in the prequels. Even the lens flares in Star Trek (yeah yeah, I know that's all anyone mentions when they talk about Abrams Trek) were real and not CGI.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Everything I have seen and read has lead me to believe it will feel like the same SW universe, yet will also be a natural evolution or progression from the Original Trilogy era. This is good, because it was hard to watch the prequels and imagine it was the same universe (for me, anyway).
    The aesthetics bear a much stronger resemblance to the angular designs of the original trilogy, vs. the curvier designs of the prequels. Things look different, but they look like they could exist in the same universe. It also makes sense that the design of Tie Fighters and X-Wings would evolve, just like automobiles of the same make and model evolve.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    The aesthetics bear a much stronger resemblance to the angular designs of the original trilogy, vs. the curvier designs of the prequels. Things look different, but they look like they could exist in the same universe. It also makes sense that the design of Tie Fighters and X-Wings would evolve, just like automobiles of the same make and model evolve.
    Yes. Also, the famous "used future" look of the originals appears to be making a comeback. The prequels were too shiny.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.
    Likes Ivy, Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    SQUEEEEE!

Yes, I have felt the awakening.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I wish I had taken a picture of this. But I saw this on a local movie theater sign board, pre-order tickets for
    Mockingjays
    Star War 2
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I watched "Star War 2" today at the same theater which advertised pre-order tickets for "Star War 2." It turned out to be some other Star Wars-like movie subtitled "The Force Awakens."

I attended this movie anticipating another J. J. Abrams mock-up as with the Star Trek reboot: long on style and short on substance, a lot of hyped-up action, and typical Hollywood-manufactured movie suspense right off the assembly line. It's going to make big bucks off-screen in terms of toys and fan-boy video games. This movie has already sent Harry Potter down to defeat like the Titanic (the ship, not the movie).
    Star Wars - The Force Awakens beats Harry Potter for box office record

"The Force Awakens" did not meet my expectations, it surpassed them. This was no mere reboot. Yes, it is short on substance, but it does not bore the audience. There is not a single moment in this movie that will require you to look at your clock/watch wondering when something will happen. And it remains true to the series. All your favorite Star Wars tropes remain intact. Midichlorians references are thankfully absent in this movie.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, fell a little flat for me. I found it hard to really care.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Retired

this was my third favorite star wars film. it exceeded my expectations in many ways, and will likely captivate a new generation of star wars fans. in my opinion, it even surpassed episodes 4,5,and 6 in a few significant categories. character development, motive embellishment, and backstory had all been fleshed out with regards to the 30 year time-skip. most actors performed phenomenally, which added depth to a fairly bare-bones script. the only glaring missteps involved the implementation of cgi, which may be overlooked in the context of the next installments. moreover, the cgi elements are not necessarily essential to the overarching story-line.

if you are a star wars fan, you will almost certainly love this movie. if not, you will still be entertained.

spoiler talk:
    In challenge lies opportunity.

Retired
    In challenge lies opportunity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Really????

I loved the directing, but I thought the writing was just terrible.

There was so much political correctness. This is clearly Disney's influence. Whereas George Lucas (I guess an INTP) had great ideas inspired in paganism and Margulis theories of symbiosis, mitochondria, etc, Disney didn't "understand" all that and the only things it presents new are politically correct ideas.
    ..... like the black guy, who was clearly meant to empathize with black audiences because of ESCAPING SLAVERY, and the young white girl to make feminists happy, and Kylo Ren, who is clearly a junkie kid who makes his parents desperate to save him and in the end prefers to chose drugs to having a relationship with his father; to even how obvious it was that the Empire represented the German Nazi's (this was also apparent in the original trilogy but now it's just too obvious...they even made the soldiers raise their arms - so much facepalm).

And there were many plot holes for the moment, and so much copying from episode 4. I totally lost interest in the movie the moment they brought up the idea of the Death Star again. And the rehashed idea, again, that all characters must be related to previous characters (Kylo Ren son of Han Solo, and Rey the daughter of Luke Skywalker). I had understood the moment I saw Han Solo and Chewbacca start to place those detonators that Han Solo was going to meet his son there...it was apparent because the scenery was just the same as the battle between Luke and Darth Vader in episode 5. And Rey is clearly going to be trained by Luke in episode 8, much as Yoda trained Luke.

Oh and Rey touches Luke's saber and has visions of the past? This is from where....Harry Potter?? And the evil hologram...isn't that also an idea from Harry Potter?? Oh, btw, Adam Driver in the role of villain was not believable once sec. Not after I saw him as a lazy boyfriend in HBO Girls. And the story didn't help. He's just a teenage boy that seems to pick evil just to tease his parents. Nor him nor the hologram were scary as Darth Vader and the Emperor in episodes 4-5-6.

So all in all, there's nothing new with this movie and I don't think we can expect it for the new two. I think people are just happy about the movie because it's not fucked up the way episodes 1-3 were. And I did like to be in the cinema, I was entertained.

PS: One idea that I thought was actually original and interesting to be explored is that, whereas Anakin Skywalker was a "good" guy and had to fight his tendencies to go to the dark side, Kylo Ren is the opposite: "bad" guy trying to fight off tendencies to be "good".