• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Yesss.... YESSSS.... feel the power of the blue diamonds and green clovers flow THROUGH YOU!"

GwiwCre.jpg

Move over, Warwick Davis.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love that the first words spoken were "Real sets."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup. I think the casting choices they made are interesting. I also like the fact that they described it as "nothing's changed, but everything's changed."

Everything I have seen and read has lead me to believe it will feel like the same SW universe, yet will also be a natural evolution or progression from the Original Trilogy era. This is good, because it was hard to watch the prequels and imagine it was the same universe (for me, anyway).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love that the first words spoken were "Real sets."

Say what you will about Abrams, but I appreciate that he uses models and real sets when he has the chance. It will contribute to the gritty realism present in the OT but was lacking in the prequels. Even the lens flares in Star Trek (yeah yeah, I know that's all anyone mentions when they talk about Abrams Trek) were real and not CGI.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everything I have seen and read has lead me to believe it will feel like the same SW universe, yet will also be a natural evolution or progression from the Original Trilogy era. This is good, because it was hard to watch the prequels and imagine it was the same universe (for me, anyway).

The aesthetics bear a much stronger resemblance to the angular designs of the original trilogy, vs. the curvier designs of the prequels. Things look different, but they look like they could exist in the same universe. It also makes sense that the design of Tie Fighters and X-Wings would evolve, just like automobiles of the same make and model evolve.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The aesthetics bear a much stronger resemblance to the angular designs of the original trilogy, vs. the curvier designs of the prequels. Things look different, but they look like they could exist in the same universe. It also makes sense that the design of Tie Fighters and X-Wings would evolve, just like automobiles of the same make and model evolve.

Yes. Also, the famous "used future" look of the originals appears to be making a comeback. The prequels were too shiny.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I had taken a picture of this. But I saw this on a local movie theater sign board, pre-order tickets for
Mockingjays
Star War 2

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched "Star War 2" today at the same theater which advertised pre-order tickets for "Star War 2." It turned out to be some other Star Wars-like movie subtitled "The Force Awakens."

I attended this movie anticipating another J. J. Abrams mock-up as with the Star Trek reboot: long on style and short on substance, a lot of hyped-up action, and typical Hollywood-manufactured movie suspense right off the assembly line. It's going to make big bucks off-screen in terms of toys and fan-boy video games. This movie has already sent Harry Potter down to defeat like the Titanic (the ship, not the movie).
Star Wars - The Force Awakens beats Harry Potter for box office record

"The Force Awakens" did not meet my expectations, it surpassed them. This was no mere reboot. Yes, it is short on substance, but it does not bore the audience. There is not a single moment in this movie that will require you to look at your clock/watch wondering when something will happen. And it remains true to the series. All your favorite Star Wars tropes remain intact. Midichlorians references are thankfully absent in this movie.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, fell a little flat for me. I found it hard to really care.

Tater

this was my third favorite star wars film. it exceeded my expectations in many ways, and will likely captivate a new generation of star wars fans. in my opinion, it even surpassed episodes 4,5,and 6 in a few significant categories. character development, motive embellishment, and backstory had all been fleshed out with regards to the 30 year time-skip. most actors performed phenomenally, which added depth to a fairly bare-bones script. the only glaring missteps involved the implementation of cgi, which may be overlooked in the context of the next installments. moreover, the cgi elements are not necessarily essential to the overarching story-line.

if you are a star wars fan, you will almost certainly love this movie. if not, you will still be entertained.

spoiler talk:

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Really????

I loved the directing, but I thought the writing was just terrible.

There was so much political correctness. This is clearly Disney's influence. Whereas George Lucas (I guess an INTP) had great ideas inspired in paganism and Margulis theories of symbiosis, mitochondria, etc, Disney didn't "understand" all that and the only things it presents new are politically correct ideas.
..... like the black guy, who was clearly meant to empathize with black audiences because of ESCAPING SLAVERY, and the young white girl to make feminists happy, and Kylo Ren, who is clearly a junkie kid who makes his parents desperate to save him and in the end prefers to chose drugs to having a relationship with his father; to even how obvious it was that the Empire represented the German Nazi's (this was also apparent in the original trilogy but now it's just too obvious...they even made the soldiers raise their arms - so much facepalm).

And there were many plot holes for the moment, and so much copying from episode 4. I totally lost interest in the movie the moment they brought up the idea of the Death Star again. And the rehashed idea, again, that all characters must be related to previous characters (Kylo Ren son of Han Solo, and Rey the daughter of Luke Skywalker). I had understood the moment I saw Han Solo and Chewbacca start to place those detonators that Han Solo was going to meet his son there...it was apparent because the scenery was just the same as the battle between Luke and Darth Vader in episode 5. And Rey is clearly going to be trained by Luke in episode 8, much as Yoda trained Luke.

Oh and Rey touches Luke's saber and has visions of the past? This is from where....Harry Potter?? And the evil hologram...isn't that also an idea from Harry Potter?? Oh, btw, Adam Driver in the role of villain was not believable once sec. Not after I saw him as a lazy boyfriend in HBO Girls. And the story didn't help. He's just a teenage boy that seems to pick evil just to tease his parents. Nor him nor the hologram were scary as Darth Vader and the Emperor in episodes 4-5-6.

So all in all, there's nothing new with this movie and I don't think we can expect it for the new two. I think people are just happy about the movie because it's not fucked up the way episodes 1-3 were. And I did like to be in the cinema, I was entertained.

PS: One idea that I thought was actually original and interesting to be explored is that, whereas Anakin Skywalker was a "good" guy and had to fight his tendencies to go to the dark side, Kylo Ren is the opposite: "bad" guy trying to fight off tendencies to be "good".